PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Enjoy the journey

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Enjoy the journey

Postby skyscraper » Thu Jan 26, 2017 2:56 pm

A section of the board has convinced themselves we're going to get screwed by the selection committee -- either not getting in at all or by a bad seeding. RELAX. This might wind up being my favorite SMU basketball season by the time it's all done.

- We haven't lost at Moody all season
- We rebounded from a bumpy start and are rolling while essentially playing a 6 man rotation
- All of our losses are against teams currently in the RPI Top 100
- We just won a game on the road against a scrappy UCF team only playing 5 men, for the most part
- Our only AAC loss was by 2 on the road to the best team in the standings (and we could have won it after being down double digits)
- We still have five home games left, including Cincy, Tulsa and Memphis and all of the students are finally back on campus
- We have two road games we can all easily drive to on the weekend at Tulsa and Houston

This has been a lot of fun from a team that no one was sure what to expect. Enjoy the journey and take a second to realize we are in a great position with a little more than a month left in the season.
skyscraper
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: Enjoy the journey

Postby SMUstangs22 » Thu Jan 26, 2017 3:04 pm

No
SMUstangs22
Hall of Famer

Postby 93Mustang » Thu Jan 26, 2017 3:08 pm

Totally agree with your assessment. As an SMU fan who has learned to expect the worst, as much as I love this team and appreciate what they've accomplished so far, we have some serious work to do to finish the journey. Except for ECU at home and Tulane at home, all of our other games present some challenges. Also, I am a little worried that our 6.5 man rotation will start to wear us down like it did last year.

Last night was huge and I'm glad the guys get a week off to rest their legs and so Jarrey can get better. Emelogu's block of Tacko last night is symbolic of what this team is about - despite their obvious limitations (no center/short bench/no classic pg), they don't back down from anyone, they play hard and smart, and they usually come out on top! I look forward to seeing how it plays out. Great group of kids and coaches.
93Mustang
Junior Varsity

Postby GoMustAAngs2007 » Thu Jan 26, 2017 3:13 pm

I will take an even higher level view here. I get the tension and hand wringing given the garbage fires that have ended each of the past 3 seasons (2014 snub, 2015 blown call, 2016 ban) but look at where this program is today compared to any level achieved by both revenue sports (FB and MBB) post-death penalty.

2015 Conference Regular Season and Tournament Champions
Multiple weeks ranked in the top 25, even cracking the top 10 (!) last year
Multiple wins over ranked teams and big name, blue blood programs
Only 4 losses in 4 years since the renovation of Moody
A growing fan base (record season ticket sales this year) when the college sports world long questioned SMU's ability to sustain a fan base in either revenue sport

I cannot quantify the impact of basketball on being a "front door" (s/o to our former AD) to SMU over the past few years. From people new to Dallas, people who are sports fans from Big 12 and other "power" schools, all have wanted to talk SMU basketball and all of the good that has come with it. I am able to talk about a team that has been successful by playing an unselfish, fundamentally sound brand of basketball and despite the narrative of NCAA problems and LB resigning. Now, I'm not going to be a TCU football fan here and start sniffing my own farts and talking about SMU as if being good at basketball drives some level of moral superiority but so much good has come of this in terms of promoting what we all know already - SMU is a great place to go to school and an asset to Dallas in so many ways.

You go to a game at Moody and see the "lost generation" of fans that we love to talk about so much on the football board - people in their 20s, 30s, and 40s. Young families. These people are buying season tickets, attending games, and becoming more and more engaged with the program. Obviously we need to continue winning and sustaining success but the formula is there. Turner and the administration have to see this - hell, Turner is a regular at games sitting courtside with David Miller and GWB. As much as I support Coach Morris and the effort going towards football, I share the opinion that basketball is the best path for SMU to be nationally relevant in college sports.

Now back to this season - still a lot left to be played but just get this team into the Dance with a fully healthy roster and who knows what will happen.

Thanks to the donors, coaches, and players who made this all possible. Despite the setbacks, this team makes it fun to be an SMU fan.
GoMustAAngs2007
Junior Varsity

Postby Gtownmustang » Thu Jan 26, 2017 3:25 pm

Well put. Barring an injury do feel we make the tournament. Then its lets see how far we can go.
Gtownmustang

Postby smusic 00 » Thu Jan 26, 2017 3:45 pm

Excellent sentiments entering the final long stretch.

Most of us were looking forward to this season more than any other because it presented so many unknowns. What a ride, indeed.
smusic 00

Postby Terry Webster » Thu Jan 26, 2017 5:22 pm

Peruna paranoia.
Terry Webster
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby lollaperuna » Thu Jan 26, 2017 7:36 pm

Terry Webster wrote:Peruna paranoia.

It has been well earned thru the years.

I do agree with the sentiment of this thread and think we have a shot at a very memorable year baring injuries.
lollaperuna
All-American

Postby East Coast Mustang » Thu Jan 26, 2017 11:32 pm

Barring any injuries, this team is going to be really fun to watch and a someone that no one is going to want to have to play in March. I really hope Sterling and Ben can win a game or two in the tourney and leave their mark on this program- they've both been so fun to watch for the past four seasons. Seems like just yesterday that Sterling was flushing that breakaway dunk as a freshman to seal the win against UConn in the first game at New Moody.

I get really excited looking ahead to next year. If Semi and Shake come back (and I think they will), we will have a nucleus of Semi, Jarrey, Shake and Whitt in the starting five that is extremely talented. Just need a JC or graduate transfer big that can rebound, defend, and protect the rim. I think we will be preseason top 25 and will (finally) not have to worry about a thin bench (although our bench will be young, I think Douglas can contribute early at multiple spots, Landrum will give us a change-of-pace, true PG that we've lacked this year and hopefully at least one of Chargois/Ray can give us quality minutes as a freshman). Anyone that was hoping for a drop off in SMU basketball post-Larry like that loser sportswriter over in Fort Worth will be sorely mistaken.
2005 PonyFans.com Rookie of the Year Award Recipient
East Coast Mustang

Postby Charleston Pony » Fri Jan 27, 2017 7:18 am

East Coast Mustang wrote:Barring any injuries, this team is going to be really fun to watch and a someone that no one is going to want to have to play in March. I really hope Sterling and Ben can win a game or two in the tourney and leave their mark on this program- they've both been so fun to watch for the past four seasons. Seems like just yesterday that Sterling was flushing that breakaway dunk as a freshman to seal the win against UConn in the first game at New Moody.

I get really excited looking ahead to next year. If Semi and Shake come back (and I think they will), we will have a nucleus of Semi, Jarrey, Shake and Whitt in the starting five that is extremely talented. Just need a JC or graduate transfer big that can rebound, defend, and protect the rim. I think we will be preseason top 25 and will (finally) not have to worry about a thin bench (although our bench will be young, I think Douglas can contribute early at multiple spots, Landrum will give us a change-of-pace, true PG that we've lacked this year and hopefully at least one of Chargois/Ray can give us quality minutes as a freshman). Anyone that was hoping for a drop off in SMU basketball post-Larry like that loser sportswriter over in Fort Worth will be sorely mistaken.

And don't forget that Gu has another year of eligibility as he has been an integral part of this year's team. He's been an experienced 6th man and would be great to have him back as well.
Charleston Pony

Postby RI Stang » Fri Jan 27, 2017 10:20 am

And McDowell - I would expect a big leap from year one to year two for him. Maybe not at Jarrey's level, but still think he will be more of a factor next season as he gets more comfortable.
RI Stang
All-American

Postby PonyLawExpress » Fri Jan 27, 2017 11:01 am

This is such a fun team to watch. I think I said this somewhere else but a shake keeps playing the way he has the last three games were going to be a dangerous team come March, if we stay healthy. 5 guys who can score 15+ any given night, play good D, and rebound. And a 6th man who gives quality bench minutes and hopefully keeps his conference shooting numbers up. Should be fun.

Agree with EC mustang we definitely have a bright future and it's exciting. I expect the core three Semi, Shake, & Jarrey to be back. Along with Whitt and a grad transfer. Then Gu, One of the frosh bigs need to step up. I excoect McDowell to make a jump but doubt he plays a lot next year probably more as a junior, unless it's a really big jump or Douglas isn't ready. The future of this program is exciting.

Will be interested if under the new rules either Shake or Semi test the draft waters and then return? I'm sure they both kind of know where they are at, but still. Shake likely knows he needs another year to show he can be a takeover PG & playmaker similar to how he has been last 3 games and Semi has to keep expanding his game and just have such a good season despite being a tweener he is worth a shot (like a Nigel Hayes or PJ Tucker). This is such a deep draft & they both need another year/seem to want another year. & I would be shocked if Semi grad-transferred would be a big risk and not worth much if any of a gain.
PonyLawExpress
Heisman

Postby LA_Mustang » Fri Jan 27, 2017 11:34 am

We are very dangerous when Shake is playing at this level. He has been outstanding the past few games. We just need Jarrey to get cleared and back to 100%. This break in between games could not have come at a better time.

If we can get 10-15 minutes out of D Mc, we will be that much better. I keep hoping the game will slow down for him.
SMU-12 NCAA appearances, 1 Final Four
2014-15 & 2016-17 AAC Men's Basketball Champs

LA_Mustang

Return to Basketball