PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Jahmal McMurray

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Jahmal McMurray

Postby Kemba11 » Fri Jan 27, 2017 10:41 pm

PonyPlayer4 wrote:
Kemba11 wrote:
Kemba11 wrote:Wow, what a pick up, can't say I'm not jealous. Didn't even realize the AAC allowed intra-conference transfers.

Looks like at least another few years of SMU being dominant in this conference. If Shake, Semi and the rest of your role players return next year you guys have top 4 seed potential in the big dance, if the committee has decided if the AAC is worthy of one of their golden seeds yet is tbd. Semi is a stud and has draft written all over him, curious to see what he's going to do.

Look forward to next season as we are just playing for the AAC tournament at this point, we are injured to smitherines. But I wanted to say also from our slaughter in dallas last week, SMU still has one of the nicest looking courts in the country, games always look great in HD at Moody.

Thanks Kemba. I will be at the AAC tourney. Never seen the XL center in person before. Real excited about McMurray, legit scorer, it works because he went JuCo.

& yeah Semi is an absolute stud, but he is a bit of a tweener when it comes to the NBA. He isn't on many mock drafts or big boards for this year but on some for 2018. The consensus we have heard from scouts are that they really like Semi and Shake, but think both could use another to polish their games and grow. I would be real surprised if Shake is gone, think he has one more as a pony. We really hope they are both back, but you never know. Great kids and both have bright futures.

We hope y'all are better next year, need y'all and Memphis to get back to a high level.

Semi looks physical, but he doesn't exactly play physical. So many times he doesn't take it strong to the rim, and he tries to avoid contact. Not sure if your evaluation skills, but he is nowhere near a first round guy. He is absolutely a great college player though. I love him on our team.

Maybe you're right, you've watched way more of him than I have no denying that. I'm just saying, the "first round guys" today mid-season will look very different than the "first round guys" a couple weeks before the draft, and Semi has the skillset to rise in such a scenario.
Kemba11

Postby sadderbudweiser » Fri Jan 27, 2017 11:12 pm

stangsup4 wrote:2017 guards

Jahmal McMurray | Jimmy Whitt | Elijah Landrum
Shake Milton | William Douglas | Dashawn McDowell

wooooo.

And Ben E!

Stacked!!
Party at The Wopper!
sadderbudweiser
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby sadderbudweiser » Fri Jan 27, 2017 11:16 pm

Stallion wrote:a positive with this commitment is that he has shown he can play at this level already-less of a gamble that his game translates to an AAC level team. While we bridge the probation gap we need kids that are ready to play now

Same with Whitt.
Party at The Wopper!
sadderbudweiser

Postby gostangs » Fri Jan 27, 2017 11:26 pm

Who says you have to play physical to be in the nba? It's not anymore physical then playing cinncinnatti. I think semi needs another year, but he won't be any more physical and he will be fine.
gostangs

Postby PonyPlayer4 » Sat Jan 28, 2017 1:42 am

gostangs wrote:Who says you have to play physical to be in the nba? It's not anymore physical then playing cinncinnatti. I think semi needs another year, but he won't be any more physical and he will be fine.

My comment about playing physical was in response to a poster saying Semi plays physical, which he doesn't exactly. It had nothing to do with making it to the NBA. That being said, Semi will be back next year, and he has a long way to go to get drafted.
PonyPlayer4
Hall of Famer

Postby LA_Mustang » Sat Jan 28, 2017 1:50 am

Saying Semi has a long way to go to get drafted is incorrect. Almost every mock draft has him going in the 2nd round in the 2018 draft.
SMU-12 NCAA appearances, 1 Final Four
2014-15 & 2016-17 AAC Men's Basketball Champs

LA_Mustang

Postby sadderbudweiser » Sat Jan 28, 2017 5:42 am

This brings us to 11 scholarship guys next year without adding another big. Does anyone redshirt?

Shake, Semi, Jarrey, Gu, Dashawn

Whitt, McMurray

Douglass, Chargois, Ray, Landrum

Looks like those aussies packed just in time.
Party at The Wopper!
sadderbudweiser

Postby PonyFan32 » Sat Jan 28, 2017 9:01 am

Assuming no attrition (which may be a bad assumption), you would want one of the guards to redshirt with 7 of them vying for minutes.

You can see more of what the path to escaping scholarship penalties is now though:

If we take a grad big, we only give up one scholarship next year if someone doesn't leave. Then we have 3 out next year (Semi, Ben E, and transfer big) giving us 9 and we only take 1 player unless shake leaves.

My most likely scenario:

Add grad transfer + DaShawn leaves (don't want him to leave but makes most sense) = 11 scholarships next year.

Then shake leaves next year + seniors, leaving us with 7 and we take 4 again and are done with the penalty. Of course I don't have inside knowledge of any of this so it's all hypothetical.
PonyFan32
Heisman

Postby PonyPlayer4 » Sat Jan 28, 2017 9:36 am

LA_Mustang wrote:Saying Semi has a long way to go to get drafted is incorrect. Almost every mock draft has him going in the 2nd round in the 2018 draft.

I just looked at 5 different mocks and only 1 had him going in the late second.

No, you're a puppet.
PonyPlayer4
Hall of Famer

Postby Stallion » Sat Jan 28, 2017 11:18 am

nobody is going to redshirt unless hurt-we'll still be under NCAA roster limits

that would be a great trivia question-who was the last SMU basketball player to voluntarily redshirt without an injury

you might have made an argument that B.Moore because of his slight build should have redshirted but he already had the highest Basketball IQ on the team by the end of his freshman year and helped set the culture as a freshman
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby East Coast Mustang » Sat Jan 28, 2017 11:38 am

Dashawn is barely playing on a team with just six other scholarship players...I think he's a prime candidate for attrition after this season. Still cant believe we passed on Carsen Edwards and Eric Curry for him
2005 PonyFans.com Rookie of the Year Award Recipient
East Coast Mustang

Postby PonyPlayer4 » Sat Jan 28, 2017 11:41 am

Stallion wrote:nobody is going to redshirt unless hurt-we'll still be under NCAA roster limits

that would be a great trivia question-who was the last SMU basketball player to voluntarily redshirt without an injury

you might have made an argument that B.Moore because of his slight build should have redshirted but he already had the highest Basketball IQ on the team by the end of his freshman year and helped set the culture as a freshman

My guess is Bennie Rhodes from Doh's 2007 7 person class. He trasnferred out after his redshirt year.
PonyPlayer4
Hall of Famer

Postby PonyLawExpress » Sat Jan 28, 2017 12:08 pm

Just from what I've heard, doesn't mean he won't, I highly doubt McDowell is going to transfer after this season. He likes SMU and knows he needs to work on his game. I like him he is a good kid, & he has a long way to go to get any minutes next year. I wouldn't be surprised if he transferred after 2017-18 season though.

Next yeah I see 3 starters a guard/wing being: Shake, Jarrey, & Whitt. With McMurray first off the bench(mainly because he is a mid-year, could start), then Gu & Douglas getting about 12 & 10 mins a piece a steady rotation guys. Landrum spot playing. The only positive of McMurray not being eligible until mid year being that Landrum and Douglas can get some extended minutes in OOC to get exp and showcase what they can do to potentially earn more minutes come conference play. Just can't see McDowell getting many minutes especially when McMurray is eligible.
PonyLawExpress
Heisman

Postby CalallenStang » Sat Jan 28, 2017 12:20 pm

Stallion wrote:nobody is going to redshirt unless hurt-we'll still be under NCAA roster limits

Cort Hoge
CalallenStang

Postby PonyFan32 » Sat Jan 28, 2017 12:27 pm

Was Nyakundi injured when he redshirted? Can't remember
PonyFan32
Heisman

PreviousNext

Return to Basketball