PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Jahmal McMurray

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Jahmal McMurray

Postby PonyLawExpress » Fri Jan 27, 2017 1:50 pm

RI Stang wrote:
Smulaw90 wrote:
RI Stang wrote:So we have him for how many seasons - 1/2 of next year and then 1 more or 2 more after that?

He has 1/2 of next season, and all of the following year (his senior year) assuming he stays. There was talk of him thinking of going pro after he was suspended at USF.

So is this correct if everyone were to stay the max amount of time?

Last year of eligibility:

2016/2017 - Brown, Moore
2017/2018 - Emelogu, Ojeleye (and hopefully a grad transfer big)
2018/2019 - Milton, Foster, Whitt, McMurray
2019/2020 - McDowell
2020/2021 - Chargois, Ray, Douglas, Landrum

Whitt is a 2019/2020 Kid, He will be a RS-Soph. next year.

Besides that it looks correct. McMurray according to what I read just did it because he said why not since he can do it, get some attention from scouts, and return to school. Heard he never really thought he was going to be drafted or go pro at that point. I would be shocked if we didn't have him for 1&1/2 years, but you never know.
PonyLawExpress
Heisman

Postby RI Stang » Fri Jan 27, 2017 1:56 pm

Excuse my ignorance and lack of familiarity with the transfer rules, but if Whitt gets three more years, how come McMurray only gets 1.5 and not 2.5?
RI Stang
All-American

Postby ponyboy » Fri Jan 27, 2017 2:00 pm

LA_Mustang wrote:wow! Today was a good day.

Did we get other commitments?
ponyboy
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby PonyLawExpress » Fri Jan 27, 2017 2:12 pm

RI Stang wrote:Excuse my ignorance and lack of familiarity with the transfer rules, but if Whitt gets three more years, how come McMurray only gets 1.5 and not 2.5?

I was confused on this when we got Semi. It is the reason I am not a fan of Mid-Year transferring. The NCAA doest consider half seasons or semesters regarding eligibilty. If you play during a season you have used that year of eligibility. That is why Semi sat out because if he had played 2nd semester last year (he would have used his Jr. year) & he would be a senior right now (didnt want to waste full year when we had the ban).

Whitt played his whole freshman year at Arky and is sitting out his full second season (redshirting) and thus has only used one year of eligibility and has 3 years to play 3 seasons. McMurray played his whole freshman season and played in 3 games during his sophomore season. Thus, according to the NCAA he has used two seasons of eligibility. He is eligible after the fall semester next year, since he has to sit a for a year, and will use his Junior year of eligibility and have one more year left.

I'm obviously thrilled we got him and Semi, but hate how the NCAA rules are for Mid-Year transfers. Either need to amend them or get rid of them.
PonyLawExpress
Heisman

Postby LA_Mustang » Fri Jan 27, 2017 2:56 pm

https://collegecourtreport.com/2017/01/ ... mber-2017/

"[I bring] energy, fight, an ability to make shots and create plays,” said McMurray in self-reflection following his last performance in green and gold. “I’m just a dog. I love to fight and compete.”
SMU-12 NCAA appearances, 1 Final Four
2014-15 & 2016-17 AAC Men's Basketball Champs

LA_Mustang

Postby ponyinNC » Fri Jan 27, 2017 3:10 pm

we some dogs!!
ponyinNC
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby JoeKidd » Fri Jan 27, 2017 4:15 pm

While we have a long way to go before this season is over....that's right we're coming for you NCAA tourney, I sure hope Shake and Semi stay for next year because we can be really, really good although it will take us a while to gel like the current roster and Ben and Sterling will be sorely missed.
#1 Day At A Time
JoeKidd
Heisman

Postby gostangs » Fri Jan 27, 2017 5:14 pm

We need to reload with fighters since sterling is our fighter this year.

Would love to see us go back to Chicago for some more talent. Those dudes have all been serious players for us.
gostangs

Postby Kemba11 » Fri Jan 27, 2017 5:19 pm

Wow, what a pick up, can't say I'm not jealous. Didn't even realize the AAC allowed intra-conference transfers.

Looks like at least another few years of SMU being dominant in this conference. If Shake, Semi and the rest of your role players return next year you guys have top 4 seed potential in the big dance, if the committee has decided if the AAC is worthy of one of their golden seeds yet is tbd. Semi is a stud and has draft written all over him, curious to see what he's going to do.

Look forward to next season as we are just playing for the AAC tournament at this point, we are injured to smitherines. But I wanted to say also from our slaughter in dallas last week, SMU still has one of the nicest looking courts in the country, games always look great in HD at Moody.
Kemba11

Postby PonyLawExpress » Fri Jan 27, 2017 5:26 pm

Kemba11 wrote:Wow, what a pick up, can't say I'm not jealous. Didn't even realize the AAC allowed intra-conference transfers.

Looks like at least another few years of SMU being dominant in this conference. If Shake, Semi and the rest of your role players return next year you guys have top 4 seed potential in the big dance, if the committee has decided if the AAC is worthy of one of their golden seeds yet is tbd. Semi is a stud and has draft written all over him, curious to see what he's going to do.

Look forward to next season as we are just playing for the AAC tournament at this point, we are injured to smitherines. But I wanted to say also from our slaughter in dallas last week, SMU still has one of the nicest looking courts in the country, games always look great in HD at Moody.

Thanks Kemba. I will be at the AAC tourney. Never seen the XL center in person before. Real excited about McMurray, legit scorer, it works because he went JuCo.

& yeah Semi is an absolute stud, but he is a bit of a tweener when it comes to the NBA. He isn't on many mock drafts or big boards for this year but on some for 2018. The consensus we have heard from scouts are that they really like Semi and Shake, but think both could use another to polish their games and grow. I would be real surprised if Shake is gone, think he has one more as a pony. We really hope they are both back, but you never know. Great kids and both have bright futures.

We hope y'all are better next year, need y'all and Memphis to get back to a high level.
PonyLawExpress
Heisman

Postby Kemba11 » Fri Jan 27, 2017 5:42 pm

PonyLawExpress wrote:
Kemba11 wrote:Wow, what a pick up, can't say I'm not jealous. Didn't even realize the AAC allowed intra-conference transfers.

Thanks Kemba. I will be at the AAC tourney. Never seen the XL center in person before. Real excited about McMurray, legit scorer, it works because he went JuCo.

& yeah Semi is an absolute stud, but he is a bit of a tweener when it comes to the NBA. He isn't on many mock drafts or big boards for this year but on some for 2018. The consensus we have heard from scouts are that they really like Semi and Shake, but think both could use another to polish their games and grow. I would be real surprised if Shake is gone, think he has one more as a pony. We really hope they are both back, but you never know. Great kids and both have bright futures.

We hope y'all are better next year, need y'all and Memphis to get back to a high level.

one thing I've learned from years of following the nba draft game is that i typically notice guys at less traditional basketball programs almost never get their proper draft respect due during the season. The pundits and even the online scouts are busy watching the Duke and UK guys because its easy to write about, those prospects are "cant miss" guys by league standards.

But once the season is over and guys like Semi and Milton enter the new modified NBA combine rule to test the waters they will shoot up the draft board when they actually practice next to the big name guys. Semi has everything he needs to succeed in the current NBA landscape, pro body that can handle physicality and banging in the paint against opposing 4s, strong rebounder, ability to put the ball on the court as a big and being an elite 3pt shooter at his size and position makes him a commodity, think of a player in the physical mold of Draymond Green minus his elite defensive mobility and ball handling that makes him a unicorn by NBA standards.

Don't be shocked to see some guys projecting Semi as a first rounder come May/June. Regardless I hope the best for SMU.
Kemba11

Postby PonyLawExpress » Fri Jan 27, 2017 7:09 pm

Kemba11 wrote:
PonyLawExpress wrote:

one thing I've learned from years of following the nba draft game is that i typically notice guys at less traditional basketball programs almost never get their proper draft respect due during the season. The pundits and even the online scouts are busy watching the Duke and UK guys because its easy to write about, those prospects are "cant miss" guys by league standards.

But once the season is over and guys like Semi and Milton enter the new modified NBA combine rule to test the waters they will shoot up the draft board when they actually practice next to the big name guys. Semi has everything he needs to succeed in the current NBA landscape, pro body that can handle physicality and banging in the paint against opposing 4s, strong rebounder, ability to put the ball on the court as a big and being an elite 3pt shooter at his size and position makes him a commodity, think of a player in the physical mold of Draymond Green minus his elite defensive mobility and ball handling that makes him a unicorn by NBA standards.

Don't be shocked to see some guys projecting Semi as a first rounder come May/June. Regardless I hope the best for SMU.

I agree he is great and I was just referring to the NBA scouts who saw them play at MSQ and a few times this season. One thing is this NBA draft is really deep, like one of the deepest in years. You could be right, but a comparable guy to him Nigel Hayes at Wiscy is being projected at the bottom of the 2nd. If Semi can get a first round grade after this year he should go and we would wish him the best. Semi is fantastic Just don't be surprised when he returns. Most scouts want him to polish up a few things before they would consider taking him.
Last edited by PonyLawExpress on Fri Jan 27, 2017 9:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PonyLawExpress
Heisman

Postby Rebel10 » Fri Jan 27, 2017 7:24 pm

Now SMU goes after a big and they are in good shape.
#HammerDown
Rebel10

Postby PonyPlayer4 » Fri Jan 27, 2017 7:52 pm

Kemba11 wrote:
PonyLawExpress wrote:

Semi looks physical, but he doesn't exactly play physical. So many times he doesn't take it strong to the rim, and he tries to avoid contact. Not sure if your evaluation skills, but he is nowhere near a first round guy. He is absolutely a great college player though. I love him on our team.
PonyPlayer4
Hall of Famer

Postby PonyLawExpress » Fri Jan 27, 2017 8:10 pm

PonyPlayer4 wrote:Semi looks physical, but he doesn't exactly play physical. So many times he doesn't take it strong to the rim, and he tries to avoid contact. Not sure if your evaluation skills, but he is nowhere near a first round guy. He is absolutely a great college player though. I love him on our team.

I agree.
PonyLawExpress
Heisman

PreviousNext

Return to Basketball