PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

2017-18 Lineup

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: 2017-18 Lineup

Postby hoopmanx » Sat Mar 25, 2017 8:13 am

We should start Landrum bc Jank had success w Nic. OTOH, he's never had more success as a head coach than he had this year w shake starting and he returns. Decisions decisions. we have a top 15 returning, as of now, let's change the whole effin line up.

I will say this, if Semi returns, I move him down to the 3, especially if our grad transfer is ready for sizable burn
hoopmanx
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Rebel10 » Sat Mar 25, 2017 8:37 am

No one really knows until everyone gets to practice next season. I would imagine the freshman and grad transfer will be given every opportunity to start. No way to tell at this point until they get to famous.
#HammerDown
Rebel10
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby PonyLawExpress » Sat Mar 25, 2017 9:53 am

hoopmanx wrote:We should start Landrum bc Jank had success w Nic. OTOH, he's never had more success as a head coach than he had this year w shake starting and he returns. Decisions decisions. we have a top 15 returning, as of now, let's change the whole effin line up.

I will say this, if Semi returns, I move him down to the 3, especially if our grad transfer is ready for sizable burn

Who would you play at the 4? The two freshman bigs and take away minutes from Foster and some of the guards?

I like Semi getting to play on the outside when we go 4 out and I think he is at his best off the pick and pop outside when he can catch and shoot, catch 1 dribble and shoot, or drive off the pass. I just feel position wise unless you were gonna put Jarrey at the "4" or both of the frosh Big's are ready to give solid minutes that Semi would need to be primarily a "4" again to get out best lineups on the court with how much guard talent we have. And have the Grad Transfer and the freshman play the 5 and backup Semi at 4.
PonyLawExpress
Heisman

Postby Wild Mustang » Sat Mar 25, 2017 1:23 pm

@hoopmanx said "We should start Landrum bc Jank had success w Nic. OTOH, he's never had more success as a head coach than he had this year w shake starting and he returns."

SMU's success this past season cannot be attributed to Shake's development as a PG. Shake really did not even play PG this season. The unfortunate truth is that SMU offense ran almost without a PG. One of the big reasons why Jank had so much success this year is because all the guys bought in, played unselfishly, and played together. And, oh yeah...that's right, Jank can coach!

The chemistry on the team was incredible. Another one of the big reasons why Jank was successful was that he had 2 guys in Sterling Brown and Ben Moore who were 4 year seniors who were true leaders. SMU is going to have a large void to fill with two guys that helped to completely change the culture of SMU Basketball.

Jank was not successful because Shake was an incredible PG. Shake is an incredible player no doubt, but let's don't act like Shake is a PG. This season's team pretty much played all year without a PG. Position-less basketball. Hard to believe, but that is what happened. Shake was successful spotting up and hitting threes. Did Shake take the ball to the basket at times? Yes. Did Shake throw the alley-oop to Sterling, Semi? Yes Did Shake make nice drives and dishes to Ben Moore, sure? Yes. Can Shake make PG plays? Sure... but give me a true PG, a Nic Moore, any day of the week. In a dreamland, had this team had a Nic Moore, we would still be dancing. More times than not PG play is critical to the success of a College Basketball Team.

I don't know if Landrum can be a stud PG in college yet, no one does, but I sure want to give him a shot. Am I saying that Landrum is Nic Moore?
No. Landrum is Landrum. Imagine playing both Landrum and Shake at the same time. It will happen.
Wild Mustang
Junior Varsity

Postby Charleston Pony » Sat Mar 25, 2017 4:13 pm

While it might be true we played this year w/o a traditional PG, there's no denying that Shake handled the ball more than anyone else and dished out by far the highest number of assists. Breakdown was:

Shake 159
Sterling 105
Ben M. 84
Jarrey 73
Gu 64
Semi 53
Charleston Pony

Postby hoopmanx » Sat Mar 25, 2017 7:18 pm

PonyLawExpress wrote:
hoopmanx wrote:We should start Landrum bc Jank had success w Nic. OTOH, he's never had more success as a head coach than he had this year w shake starting and he returns. Decisions decisions. we have a top 15 returning, as of now, let's change the whole effin line up.

Who would you play at the 4? The two freshman bigs and take away minutes from Foster and some of the guards?

I like Semi getting to play on the outside when we go 4 out and I think he is at his best off the pick and pop outside when he can catch and shoot, catch 1 dribble and shoot, or drive off the pass. I just feel position wise unless you were gonna put Jarrey at the "4" or both of the frosh Big's are ready to give solid minutes that Semi would need to be primarily a "4" again to get out best lineups on the
court with how much guard talent we have. And have the Grad Transfer and the freshman play the 5
and backup Semi at 4.

Jarrey to the 4, semi the 3 and vice versa
hoopmanx
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby sadderbudweiser » Sun Mar 26, 2017 10:03 am

Lingering questions here are two:

Does Semi go and do we get a quality Big who can play starter minutes and contribute.

We know we have a pretty solid date on Semi's choice.

What is a date we can expect the grad transfer drama to play out?

And...How "sure thing" a big will Jank and the staff settle for in the grad transfer market? Or in other words, what are the chances we walk away without a grad transfer big and save the 'ship?
Party at The Wopper!
sadderbudweiser

Postby PonyLawExpress » Sun Mar 26, 2017 11:57 am

sadderbudweiser wrote:Lingering questions here are two:

Does Semi go and do we get a quality Big who can play starter minutes and contribute.

We know we have a pretty solid date on Semi's choice.

What is a date we can expect the grad transfer drama to play out?

And...How "sure thing" a big will Jank and the staff settle for in the grad transfer market? Or in other words, what are the chances we walk away without a grad transfer big and save the 'ship?

Those are the questions for the roster next year. Most regular transfers and grad-transfers seem to decide in early-mid May, some a little earlier and some drag out into late May/June. We obviously have a list of grad-transfers we want/would take, the timeline will be in flux depending on who comes available and when.

I think it is possible that we walk away without a grad-transfer (if we have Semi returning), but doubt we would walk away and "save the ship", unless we struck out multiple times. If there wasn't a Grad-transfer we liked then I could see us adding a regular transfer, if Semi is back.
PonyLawExpress
Heisman

Postby sadderbudweiser » Sun Mar 26, 2017 2:16 pm

Another question for consideration:

Does a stud grad transfer wait to see what Semi does before committing?

Possibly.
Party at The Wopper!
sadderbudweiser

Postby JasonB » Sun Mar 26, 2017 3:59 pm

sadderbudweiser wrote:Another question for consideration:

Does a stud grad transfer wait to see what Semi does before committing?

Possibly.

It might almost be the other way around.

If Semi is borderline first/second, if we get a good grad transfer and Semi can play some more at the 3 (which he would play in the NBA), he stays. If we can't get a dominant grad transfer and Semi plays as a 4 again, it might be more tempting to leave because his draft stock won't rise.
JasonB

Postby Stallion » Sun Mar 26, 2017 4:05 pm

so far there are no "dominant" grad transfer bigs that have announced
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby DanFreibergerForHeisman » Sun Mar 26, 2017 7:12 pm

Waiting for closure on all of this I would really like to get a good night of sleep again at some point
Shake It Off Moody
DanFreibergerForHeisman

Postby sadderbudweiser » Sun Mar 26, 2017 7:23 pm

DanFreibergerForHeisman wrote:Waiting for closure on all of this I would really like to get a good night of sleep again at some point

They make stuff for that.

And it works.

Thankfully Mustang basketball issues no
Longer require the industrial strength stuff.
Party at The Wopper!
sadderbudweiser

Postby PonySnob » Sun Mar 26, 2017 8:44 pm

sadderbudweiser wrote:
DanFreibergerForHeisman wrote:Waiting for closure on all of this I would really like to get a good night of sleep again at some point

They make stuff for that.

And it works.

Thankfully Mustang basketball issues no
Longer require the industrial strength stuff.

Elmer T
Peruna is my mascot!
PonySnob

Postby PonyUp_62 » Fri May 12, 2017 12:04 pm

Thought it would be fun to revisit this now that we know Semi is leaving.

Shake
Jarrey
Chargois
Whitt
Grad Transfer

First off the bench: Douglas or McMurray (Sorry Gu)
PonyUp_62
Recruit

PreviousNext

Return to Basketball