PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

2017-18 Lineup

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: 2017-18 Lineup

Postby SMUstangs22 » Sun Jan 29, 2017 6:00 pm

Stallion wrote:unless they are released by the university they can't decommit or be signed by another school for a year after their admission date

Oh right forgot they have already signed.
SMUstangs22
Hall of Famer

Postby PonyLawExpress » Sun Jan 29, 2017 7:51 pm

Terry Webster wrote:Can we really count on a graduate transfer big? What happens if none appears?

I think you can count on a grad-transfer big, actually a good number of them. There have been so many every year, recently. And as stated I think we will be a good sell for any grad-transfer whose a stud at a smaller school and wants to play on a contender or at a big school and not getting a ton of PT like Coleby Jr at KU.
PonyLawExpress
Heisman

Postby ponyfan37 » Tue Mar 21, 2017 1:39 pm

Now that the season is over I decided to chime in.

If Semi returns and we add a JUCO or transfer big man*

Shake
Jarrey
Whitt
Semi
Transfer/JUCO

If Semi returns, but don't make any other additions*

Shake
Jarrey
Whitt
Gu
Semi

If Semi leaves, but we add a big man*

Shake
Jarrey
Whitt
Gu
Transfer/JUCO

If Semi leaves and we make no additions*

Shake
Jarrey
Whitt
Gu
Chargois

What I am not sure about is whether we will start a 4th guard or one of the freshmen big men, if we don't have Semi and a transfer.
Pony up!
ponyfan37
Varsity

Postby LA_Mustang » Tue Mar 21, 2017 2:25 pm

sadderbudweiser wrote:I really think a year at SMU is just what Marques Bolden needs.

I love the idea of Bolden at SMU but are we willing to give up that last valuable ship next season to have him sit out?
Last edited by LA_Mustang on Tue Mar 21, 2017 2:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.
SMU-12 NCAA appearances, 1 Final Four
2014-15 & 2016-17 AAC Men's Basketball Champs

LA_Mustang
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby PonySnob » Tue Mar 21, 2017 2:26 pm

ponyfan37 wrote:Now that the season is over I decided to chime in.

If Semi returns and we add a JUCO or transfer big man*

Shake
Jarrey
Whitt
Semi
Transfer/JUCO

If Semi returns, but don't make any other additions*

Shake
Jarrey
Whitt
Gu
Semi

If Semi leaves, but we add a big man*

Shake
Jarrey
Whitt
Gu
Transfer/JUCO

If Semi leaves and we make no additions*

Shake
Jarrey
Whitt
Gu
Chargois

What I am not sure about is whether we will start a 4th guard or one of the freshmen big men, if we don't have Semi and a transfer.

Not sure having Gu as a starter is a good thing
Peruna is my mascot!
PonySnob

Postby BleedSMUPride » Tue Mar 21, 2017 2:41 pm

Gu absolutely should not start. yes he got 6th man of the year, and yes he shot ok in conference play, but he didnt even look like he belonged on the court vs USC which is why he didn't play in the 2nd half. He doesn't consistently bring it enough on the offensive end to start. He is an ok defensive guy off the bench and thats about it.
BleedSMUPride
Junior Varsity

Postby Stallion » Tue Mar 21, 2017 2:54 pm

well no wonder SMU lost its lead-because if Gu (and DeShawn) didn't play in the 2nd Half after Ben Moore sat substantial minutes of 2nd half, 5 on 4 sucks

In fact, the first time B. Moore sat-and someone wearing Emelogu's uniform went in, the lead actually expanded to about 9-10 points within the next 3-4 minutes
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby BleedSMUPride » Tue Mar 21, 2017 3:16 pm

Ok, he did get in in the 2nd half, but my point is, he was completely irrelevant and you wouldn't even have known he was there. USC didn't even have to respect him as a shooter cause he was no threat.

BENCH MIN FG 3PT FT OREB DREB REB AST STL BLK TO PF PTS
B. Emelogu 18 0-4 0-3 0-0 0 0 0 0 1 0 0 1 0
What in that stat line says this guy should be a starter? He was completely irrelevant and the offense died with him out there. Against a legit solid team with actual big men, our 4 guard set got exposed and we looked clueless. It wasn't just him but the everyone besides Semi looked confused. We have two have two legit big men out there on a consistent basis in order to beat big time teams with size. we need the big grad transfer, but if we dont, you have to have either chargois or Ray start with the other coming off the bench and between them and semi, 2 of them should be on the court at all times, unless we are playing a small team or blowing someone out.

Gu can still come off the bench, but you need someone (I know we will have at least McMurray in December) coming off the bench who can add more than GU to both ends of the court and not just defense on a consistent basis.
BleedSMUPride
Junior Varsity

Postby 1983 Cotton Bowl » Tue Mar 21, 2017 3:23 pm

Lot's of reasons we lost last Friday. . . .BUUUUUUT. . .moving ahead to next year's lineup, I'm curious about the 2 freshman forwards we have coming in. Obviously, I don't expect either to start. I'm just curious about their height. Both Chargois and Ray are listed at 6'7. Are one or both of these guys still growing?
1983 Cotton Bowl
Heisman

Postby PonyLawExpress » Tue Mar 21, 2017 3:31 pm

I would love us to make a run at Bolden or Chase Jeter if either decided to transfer from Duke. I think if there is a legit Grad-transfer big that if first priority though.

I would bet if we started 4 guards, because we lost Semi it would be Shake, Gu, Whitt and Jarrey to start the year. However, by mid season if one of the frosh bigs has stepped up or Douglas has stepped up they might step in for Gu. Also, when McMurray becomes eligible it will probably be hard to keep him out of the starting lineup or at least hard to keep him from getting starters minutes.

Ideally by mid season the rotation will be:
Shake
Whitt
Jarrey
Semi
Grad T
Bench:
McMurray; Ray or Chargois; Gu; Douglas
With:
Landrum, McDowell and the less ready of Chargois and Ray as spot players, unless both frosh bigs are ready or Landrum or McDowell surprise next year.

Chargois told a friend of mine, who is a scout, that he was quote "Solid 6'8, but not to far from 6'9". He also has a big frame. He could play the 5, but he has a nice skillset. Ray I am not sure how tall he is. I've heard different, but most seem to say around 6'7ish. Could have grown though.
PonyLawExpress
Heisman

Postby hoopmanx » Tue Mar 21, 2017 5:02 pm

shake
Whitt
GU
Semi
jarrey

Macmurray
Douglas
McDowell
Ray
Chargois
Landrum
hoopmanx
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Rebel10 » Tue Mar 21, 2017 5:47 pm

Shake
Jarred
Douglas s or Whitt
Semi (if he comes back)
Ray or Juco/Grad Transfer
#HammerDown
Rebel10

Postby East Coast Mustang » Tue Mar 21, 2017 6:07 pm

If Gu is starting, we're in trouble.

McDowell should probably look around; we have at least three and more likely four more talented guards coming on board next year with Whitt, McMurray, Douglas, and Landrum. The fact he could barely crack the lineup for a minute or two a game when we had one one of the thinnest rosters in the country says a lot.
2005 PonyFans.com Rookie of the Year Award Recipient
East Coast Mustang

Postby Charleston Pony » Tue Mar 21, 2017 7:38 pm

will be fun to see who earns minutes next year but hopefully nobody has to play more than 35-36 minutes on any given night
Charleston Pony

Postby freqz » Tue Mar 21, 2017 8:08 pm

McDowell needs to get on Jarrey's S&C program.
Texas bites. Baylor sucks. As it was in the beginning, is now, and evermore shall be. Amen.
freqz
Junior Varsity

PreviousNext

Return to Basketball