PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

2017-18 Lineup

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: 2017-18 Lineup

Postby Black Horseshoe » Fri May 12, 2017 12:13 pm

Black Horseshoe
Varsity

Postby LA_Mustang » Fri May 12, 2017 1:51 pm

SMU-12 NCAA appearances, 1 Final Four
2014-15 & 2016-17 AAC Men's Basketball Champs

LA_Mustang
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Rebel10 » Fri May 12, 2017 1:52 pm

In our current state I believe the starting lineup will be somewhat like this.

Shake
Jarrey
Whitt
Ray
Chargois

If a grad transfer or 2 comes to SMU then obviously things could change but as of now this is what I see as the starting lineup.
Last edited by Rebel10 on Fri May 12, 2017 2:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
#HammerDown
Rebel10

Postby RI Stang » Fri May 12, 2017 2:13 pm

Rebel10 wrote:In our current state I believe the starting lineup will be somewhat like this.

Shake
Jarred
Whitt
Ray
Chargois

If a grad transfer or 2 comes to SMU then obviously things could change but as of now this is what I see as the starting lineup.

I disagree - would be shocked if both Ray and Chargois start and somewhat surprised if either did. Maybe if we don't add anyone else (which I think we will), but still think Jarrey goes to the 4 and either Gu or Douglas starts (at least until McMurray is eligible) along with a TBD newcomer.
RI Stang
All-American

Postby East Coast Mustang » Fri May 12, 2017 2:17 pm

If we land Agau as a grad transfer I think we go 4 guard lineup...

Agau
Jarrey
Emelogu
Whitt
Shake

With the four freshman and McMurray off the bench (McMurray eligible in December)
2005 PonyFans.com Rookie of the Year Award Recipient
East Coast Mustang

Postby Rebel10 » Fri May 12, 2017 2:17 pm

RI Stang wrote:
Rebel10 wrote:In our current state I believe the starting lineup will be somewhat like this.

Shake
Jarred
Whitt
Ray
Chargois

I disagree - would be shocked if both Ray and Chargois start and somewhat surprised if either did. Maybe if we don't add anyone else (which I think we will), but still think Jarrey goes to the 4 and either Gu or Douglas starts (at least until McMurray is eligible) along with a TBD newcomer.

That is my lineup if we don't add a transfer that can start.. Who is in your starting 5 if they don't add a transfer that can start?
#HammerDown
Rebel10

Postby RI Stang » Fri May 12, 2017 3:38 pm

Obviously Shake, Whitt and Jarrey and probably McMurray as soon as he's eligible. Also think we can adjust based on who we're playing and the gameplan. Wouldn't be surprised to see more full court and zone next year certainly. I think we will add one like Agau and then could see it being him with Shake, Whitt, Jarrey and Gu or Douglas for the first semester.

If somehow we didn't replace Semi at all (which would really surprise me) then I still go those four with either Ray or Chargois if necessary, but would be more inclined to go small. I just don't see either of them being ready to start from day one. Like them both, but expect both to take some time. I expect Douglas to contribute with major minutes right away, at least until McMurray is eligible.

Hopefully irrelevant though as seems to me to be a pretty good sign Agau is coming here right after the Illinois visit (assuming he makes it here of course!) and scheduled it right after the Semi news broke...
RI Stang
All-American

Postby smupony94 » Fri May 12, 2017 4:49 pm

smupony94

Postby sadderbudweiser » Fri May 12, 2017 5:35 pm

I don't see any of the freshman starting at the beginning of the season. Chargois and Ray will have to get some minutes simply because there's no other option.

Shake
Whitt
Gu
Jarrey
Grad transfer...hopefully Agau.

Getting McMurray on the floor will be huge. Hopefully the freshmen all get minutes and catch on fast.

I'm thinking we get Agau simply because of the guaranteed playing time he gets.

Yeah....Atlantis could be sobering. So many new pieces.
Party at The Wopper!
sadderbudweiser

Postby LA_Mustang » Fri May 12, 2017 9:08 pm

I agree with ECM and sadderbudweiser. Shake, Whitt, Gu, Jarrey and hopefully Agau (grad transfer).

I just think it impossible to tell with the freshmen. You never know until they start running with the guys and maybe have a super secret scrimmage with the Horns. Ideally, one or two of them force their way into serious minutes, or even a starting spot. If I had to guess one who will it'd be Ray, but the great thing is I believe all are capable. Then mid December we add an assassin in McMurray.

LA_Mustang

Postby hoopmanx » Sat May 13, 2017 1:49 pm

I find it interesting people think of Jarrey as a guard. He smaller he gets in the line up, the less effective he becomes. Kid has played some,of his best ball for us at the 4
hoopmanx
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby PonyLawExpress » Sat May 13, 2017 3:21 pm

LA_Mustang wrote:I agree with ECM and sadderbudweiser. Shake, Whitt, Gu, Jarrey and hopefully Agau (grad transfer).

I just think it impossible to tell with the freshmen. You never know until they start running with the guys and maybe have a super secret scrimmage with the Horns. Ideally, one or two of them force their way into serious minutes, or even a starting spot. If I had to guess one who will it'd be Ray, but the great thing is I believe all are capable. Then mid December we add an assassin in McMurray.

Yep. You want your best lineup on the floor. That will be with Jarrey at the 4 for a lot of mins. He showed this year he can play the 4 defensively and he's a really good rebounder.

From everything thing I've seen and heard I think Ray should be ready to rebound, defend, and hustle next year and give some decent contributor mins, but I wouldn't expect either to be near starter caliber, unless they just take a huge step forward over summer and fall. I like both and both could be solid players for us down the line and hopefully give us some solid mins next year, but probably need some time to get developed and get experience before they can be relied upon heavily. They aren't quite of the caliber of Bruno or Garrison Brooks.
PonyLawExpress
Heisman

Postby sadderbudweiser » Sat May 13, 2017 4:55 pm

hoopmanx wrote:I find it interesting people think of Jarrey as a guard. He smaller he gets in the line up, the less effective he becomes. Kid has played some,of his best ball for us at the 4

This!

Jarrey (and Gu) will have so much to do with how good we become this season.
Party at The Wopper!
sadderbudweiser

Postby LA_Mustang » Mon May 15, 2017 7:50 am

Jarrey has a lot of the Matrix in him. He does everything and does it well. Trix was a better scorer coming out of UNLV but the similarities are definitely there - can guard anyone, he's very effective around the rim and a very good rebounder.

LA_Mustang

Postby PonyBait » Mon May 15, 2017 9:09 am

RI Stang wrote:Obviously Shake, Whitt and Jarrey and probably McMurray as soon as he's eligible. Also think we can adjust based on who we're playing and the gameplan. Wouldn't be surprised to see more full court and zone next year certainly. I think we will add one like Agau and then could see it being him with Shake, Whitt, Jarrey and Gu or Douglas for the first semester.

If somehow we didn't replace Semi at all (which would really surprise me) then I still go those four with either Ray or Chargois if necessary, but would be more inclined to go small. I just don't see either of them being ready to start from day one. Like them both, but expect both to take some time. I expect Douglas to contribute with major minutes right away, at least until McMurray is eligible.

Hopefully irrelevant though as seems to me to be a pretty good sign Agau is coming here right after the Illinois visit (assuming he makes it here of course!) and scheduled it right after the Semi news broke...

I would LOVE to see McMurray coming off the bench all year to be "the guy" when the starters aren't out there. Obviously he would need to get close to starter minutes, but he could be a super sixth man for us. I'm not sure if he has the mentality to come off the bench, but I hope so!
PonyBait
Scout Team

PreviousNext

Return to Basketball