PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

2017-18 Lineup

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: 2017-18 Lineup

Postby Pony_Law » Wed Mar 22, 2017 11:30 pm

JasonB wrote:Shake is a combo. Size of a 2, handling of a 1. Vision and creativity isn't great, which will restrict his upside as a 1. He runs a "safe" point, but not a dynamic point.

All that said, keep in mind he grew 2 inches last summer. A little more growth might make all of this a moot point.

Um if you were creating a highlight real of the best passes of the year almost all of them would belong to shake. Obviously I'm a big fan, but I think shake will be a lottery pick when it's all said and done.
Pony_Law
Hall of Famer

Postby MFFL02 » Thu Mar 23, 2017 7:17 am

Lebanese4Life wrote:Shake and Whitt are so similar. Both strive to play PG but neither is very adept at it. No one questions Shake's measurables or potential, but u cant deny that he is a very passive player, not a good quality as the lead PG.

They aren't that similar. Whitt can't shoot.
I miss Troy Matthews.
MFFL02
All-American

Postby 1983 Cotton Bowl » Thu Mar 23, 2017 8:14 am

sadderbudweiser wrote:One of the things i liked most about this year's team was that you had plenty of guys who could score.
Any one or two of the starters could carry the team for a stretch or get hot right from the tip. Before last year you had only Nic and you hoped somebody else would go off if he didn't immediately.

If Semi returns I could easily see Gu starting because we'd have 3-4 good starting scorers. If Semi doesn't return a guy like MCMurray (when eligible) or Douglas (when ready) might be better suited to start.

I'd be very, very surprised if either McMurray (a transfer not eligible until late December) or Douglas (a frosh) started over Gu. He's a senior with 3 + years in the program who, despite inconsistent scoring, does everything else at a high level and is basically Mr. Intangibles on this squad.
1983 Cotton Bowl
Heisman

Postby sadderbudweiser » Thu Mar 23, 2017 8:33 am

1983 Cotton Bowl wrote:
sadderbudweiser wrote:One of the things i liked most about this year's team was that you had plenty of guys who could score.
Any one or two of the starters could carry the team for a stretch or get hot right from the tip. Before last year you had only Nic and you hoped somebody else would go off if he didn't immediately.

If Semi returns I could easily see Gu starting because we'd have 3-4 good starting scorers. If Semi doesn't return a guy like MCMurray (when eligible) or Douglas (when ready) might be better suited to start.

I'd be very, very surprised if either McMurray (a transfer not eligible until late December) or Douglas (a frosh) started over Gu. He's a senior with 3 + years in the program who, despite inconsistent scoring, does everything else at a high level and is basically Mr. Intangibles on this squad.

I agree and that's why my opinion came with some qualifiers. As you might recall Gu started over Jarrey for a VERY brief time this past season. The same thing might happen at some point next season depending on
any number of factors. And I do not dismiss the possibility that Gu ups his shooting percentage with an off season of work. I've been a Gu supporter from day one and would like nothing more than to see him leave as a team captain and one regarded as highly as other guys who have consistently given their all...lets say Manuel, Cunningham, etc....
Party at The Wopper!
sadderbudweiser
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby stangsup4 » Thu Mar 23, 2017 10:09 am

1983 Cotton Bowl wrote:

Gu's defense is #notgood. On ball it's good but his off ball (help) defense is low key horrible. Watch the SC game if you want to see how many times him being out of position lead to open shots.
stangsup4
All-American

Postby PonyUp_62 » Thu Mar 23, 2017 10:47 am

I just can't see anyway that Gu starts.. especially with the talent we have coming in next year.. we have 2 brand new 4 star recruits, one of which Knows the college game. Plus 3 other freshman, one of which is completely underrated(Landrum). Then another transfer who was the leading scorer at USF, crappy program but still. In addition to all of that, the coaches are heavily Heavily pursuing a grad transfer with son altitude.

In all honesty, we could(probably will) see, the best team that has ever played at Moody. now our conference will be stronger and non conference schedule will be tougher so our wins might not reflect it.

Projected starters

Semi
Shake
Foster
Whitt
Grad transfer

Then we have a stacked bench! In total we are bring 7 new eligible players next year, all
of who are rated high than McDowell.. IMO we end the season next year top 10.
PonyUp_62
Recruit

Postby Wild Mustang » Thu Mar 23, 2017 11:38 am

Starters
Shake
Semi
Jarray
Douglas
Landrum

Bench
Gu
Whitt
McMurray
Other Freshmen
Grad Transfer Big
Wild Mustang
Junior Varsity

Postby PonyLawExpress » Thu Mar 23, 2017 12:04 pm

The lineup that starts the first few OOC games likely wont be the same as the lineup that starts Conference play in 2017-18. If Semi returns this could be a real special group and likely the most talented/deep roster we have had.

Landrum won't start while Shake is at SMU. Shake will be the PG, regardless of what anyone thinks if he is better at the 2 or not, he will be the PG as long as he is at SMU and we should be thrilled about that. And Landrum can't play off ball and needs some time to develop/adjust to our style.

I am super excited about McMurray, who cares that USF sucked, he averaged 15PPG over a season and 20PPG over 4 games this year as a Sophomore. It's like if we got a guy from Illinois St/Missouri St who averaged 18PPG who cares if he played in the MVC, alot of guys cant score 18PPG in D1, just like not alot of freshman could score 15PPG in the AAC. He will have to tweak his game, but now he won't have to take as many hard/bad shots, since he won't be the only guy on the court who is a legit scoring threat and he won't be keyed on every game. I would be surprised if Whitt wasn't starting the opener. Staff really likes Whitt.
PonyLawExpress
Heisman

Postby MFFL02 » Thu Mar 23, 2017 11:28 pm

McMurray should start, we will need the offense...assuming Semi is gone.
I miss Troy Matthews.
MFFL02
All-American

Postby LA_Mustang » Thu Mar 23, 2017 11:48 pm

Wild Mustang wrote:Starters
Shake
Semi
Jarray
Douglas
Landrum

Bench
Gu
Whitt
McMurray
Other Freshmen
Grad Transfer Big

Why in the world would Douglas and Landrum start ahead of Whitt, McMurray and/or Gu? I don't think people understand how good Whitt and McMurray are. They are both capable of averaging 15 points per game. Whitt is an all conference talent and McMuarry can absolutely fill it up.
SMU-12 NCAA appearances, 1 Final Four
2014-15 & 2016-17 AAC Men's Basketball Champs

LA_Mustang

Postby PonyLawExpress » Fri Mar 24, 2017 12:06 am

LA_Mustang wrote:
Wild Mustang wrote:Starters
Shake
Semi
Jarray
Douglas
Landrum

Bench
Gu
Whitt
McMurray
Other Freshmen
Grad Transfer Big

Why in the world would Douglas and Landrum start ahead of Whitt, McMurray and/or Gu? I don't think people understand how good Whitt and McMurray are. They are both capable of averaging 15 points per game. Whitt is an all conference talent and McMuarry can absolutely fill it up.

I don't get either. Whitt and McMurray were huge gets. Whitt will be a good overall player and is a potential all conference talent down the line. If he gets his outside shot more consistent, which he has been working on all offseason, he will be a STUD. And McMurray can score with the best of them. Just think McMurray was pre-season 2nd team all conference with Shake this preseason. Considered one of the top 10 guys in the AAC by the coaches and the media. I do think Douglas will also be a stud for us. We have alot of good guard talent.
PonyLawExpress
Heisman

Postby Stallion » Fri Mar 24, 2017 12:21 am

Neither school was happy with their transfers. Both probably exceeded Jarrey Foster as freshman. I think we're good
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby smusic 00 » Fri Mar 24, 2017 12:38 am

I didn't read this whole thread. Shake distributed the ball better than anyone we have seen in the post-Bliss era. Anyone who thinks he belongs off the ball primarily is NutZ. We are so stacked at guard next year we will be effing with teams up and down.
smusic 00

Postby sadderbudweiser » Fri Mar 24, 2017 11:07 am

smusic 00 wrote:I didn't read this whole thread. Shake distributed the ball better than anyone we have seen in the post-Bliss era. Anyone who thinks he belongs off the ball primarily is NutZ. We are so stacked at guard next year we will be effing with teams up and down.

1-3 we are as good and deep as anyone. If Semi leaves it necessitates (more) minutes at 4 from Jarrey unless Chargois or Ray surprise big to the upside. And that doesn't even take into account whether or not we get a grad transfer big who goes right into the starting lineup. (Who needs him if he can't play starter minutes?) If Semi leaves AND we don't get a good big who can produce immediately we'll be a fun team to watch but nowhere near as good as this year.

So...at least some of the time we are likely looking at the four-guard rotation...Shake, Gu, Jarrey, Whitt, McMurray, Douglas, Landrum. We are smaller then last year going with that plus one big. We should be as effective offensively and hopefully somewhat effective on D. Replacing Ben and Sterling's points shouldn't be too difficult. Replacing their defensive energy much tougher.
Party at The Wopper!
sadderbudweiser

Postby PonyLawExpress » Fri Mar 24, 2017 11:37 am

sadderbudweiser wrote:
smusic 00 wrote:I didn't read this whole thread. Shake distributed the ball better than anyone we have seen in the post-Bliss era. Anyone who thinks he belongs off the ball primarily is NutZ. We are so stacked at guard next year we will be effing with teams up and down.

1-3 we are as good and deep as anyone. If Semi leaves it necessitates (more) minutes at 4 from Jarrey unless Chargois or Ray surprise big to the upside. And that doesn't even take into account whether or not we get a grad transfer big who goes right into the starting lineup. (Who needs him if he can't play starter minutes?) If Semi leaves AND we don't get a good big who can produce immediately we'll be a fun team to watch but nowhere near as good as this year.

So...at least some of the time we are likely looking at the four-guard rotation...Shake, Gu, Jarrey, Whitt, McMurray, Douglas, Landrum. We are smaller then last year going with that plus one big. We should be as effective offensively and hopefully somewhat effective on D. Replacing Ben and Sterling's points shouldn't be too difficult. Replacing their defensive energy much tougher.

Well said.

I think as Hoop has mentioned that he has heard the names of bigs that might have to sit out a year that we are interested in, the staff isn't going to take a grad-transfer, unless he is able to give us solid starter minutes. We would rather build for the future than take a waste of space (also a good idea if Semi leaves). Haven't seen too many good big man grad-transfer options so far, but its still early. I'm still holding out that Dwight Coleby for KU might grad-transfer and that we could get him. Big guy and was pretty solid at Ole Miss.
PonyLawExpress
Heisman

PreviousNext

Return to Basketball