PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

CALLING ALL STUDENTS>>>>

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

CALLING ALL STUDENTS>>>>

Postby smuhype » Thu Feb 02, 2017 8:40 am

I assume I am not the only one that was HORRIFIED at the complete lack of support for our "Top 25" caliber team last night.

I was disappointed with the overall crowd for sure but the student sections were almost empty at the tip save the normal few rows of the MOB that were there. Makes me sick and I am sure Jank and the team must wonder what more they can do. ESPN in the house - late start plenty of time to get there --- I was simply embarrassed.

I continue to wonder what it will take to get behind this team.

Was Larry Brown that much of a draw vs. this year???
smuhype
Junior Varsity

Re: CALLING ALL STUDENTS>>>>

Postby SmooBoy » Thu Feb 02, 2017 9:11 am

There should be planning going on NOW for road trips/carpools for Tulsa Saturday. Easy drive and $15 tickets. I think most on here would be happy to contribute funds or tickets for students getting up there to support their fellow students. This won't/can't happen for Temple. This should/can happen for Tulsa.

This is a BIG GAME.
SmooBoy
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby RI Stang » Thu Feb 02, 2017 9:36 am

Do we do anything to market the team, even to those that already have tickets (including students)? I have not seen a thing, but can't say for sure we are not. Jank mentions it from time to time on radio postgame, but obviously those listening aren't the ones not showing up. Would be nice to see even an email campaign (if dollars are the issue) to ticket holders and Mustang Club pushing the games and then obviously something on campus for the students. Maybe that's happening and I just missed it.
RI Stang
All-American

Postby smupony94 » Thu Feb 02, 2017 9:39 am

RI Stang wrote:Do we do anything to market the team, even to those that already have tickets (including students)? I have not seen a thing, but can't say for sure we are not. Jank mentions it from time to time on radio postgame, but obviously those listening aren't the ones not showing up. Would be nice to see even an email campaign (if dollars are the issue) to ticket holders and Mustang Club pushing the games and then obviously something on campus for the students. Maybe that's happening and I just missed it.

They are really good at targeting people that follow them on Twitter and Facebook....
smupony94

Postby Bergermeister » Thu Feb 02, 2017 9:45 am

SmooBoy wrote: Easy drive and $15 tickets. This won't/can't happen for Temple. This should/can happen for Tulsa.

Unfortunately, it won't happen. SMU basketball has reverted to afterthought status.
Bergermeister

Postby smusportspage » Thu Feb 02, 2017 9:50 am

Students need to work on getting to game before the players come out for tip off. Red seaters need to stop their grab assing in the Miller Club and get to their seats before the team comes out. Tired of seeing the red seats and student sections more than half empty at tip off. Yes I am whining but boy it really tees me off.
smusportspage
Heisman

Postby smusportspage » Thu Feb 02, 2017 9:51 am

Bergermeister wrote:
SmooBoy wrote: Easy drive and $15 tickets. This won't/can't happen for Temple. This should/can happen for Tulsa.

Unfortunately, it won't happen. SMU basketball has reverted to afterthought status.

Don't agree with this.
smusportspage
Heisman

Postby RI Stang » Thu Feb 02, 2017 9:55 am

smusportspage wrote:Students need to work on getting to game before the players come out for tip off. Red seaters need to stop their grab assing in the Miller Club and get to their seats before the team comes out. Tired of seeing the red seats and student sections more than half empty at tip off. Yes I am whining but boy it really tees me off.

Agree, but someone in the administration has to make this happen. Miller Club should be closed or at least have people ushered out 10 minutes before tip, but someone has to actually make that happen within the athletic department. Same thing for students - there has to be a drive on campus to make it happen. Sure would be nice to see that, and it would take very minimal dollars. We'll see.
RI Stang
All-American

Postby sadderbudweiser » Thu Feb 02, 2017 10:11 am

RI Stang wrote:
smusportspage wrote:Students need to work on getting to game before the players come out for tip off. Red seaters need to stop their grab assing in the Miller Club and get to their seats before the team comes out. Tired of seeing the red seats and student sections more than half empty at tip off. Yes I am whining but boy it really tees me off.

Agree, but someone in the administration has to make this happen. Miller Club should be closed or at least have people ushered out 10 minutes before tip, but someone has to actually make that happen within the athletic department. Same thing for students - there has to be a drive on campus to make it happen. Sure would be nice to see that, and it would take very minimal dollars. We'll see.

How about we just print the wrong start time on all tickets, schedules, publicity etc. Nothing else seems to work. :wink:
Party at The Wopper!
sadderbudweiser

Postby Stallion » Thu Feb 02, 2017 10:15 am

I can't see that the students were any later or absent than the season ticket holders.
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby SMUstangs22 » Thu Feb 02, 2017 10:22 am

The solution isn't difficult. It is easy. Which is why it is so frustrating that the systemic problems still exist.
SMUstangs22
Hall of Famer

Postby Bergermeister » Thu Feb 02, 2017 10:25 am

Stallion wrote:I can't see that the students were any later or absent than the season ticket holders.

yep
Bergermeister

Postby LA_Mustang » Thu Feb 02, 2017 10:33 am

We have a former President of the United States who arrives before the tip and stays until the end of almost every game. Think about that for a minute - one of the most important/famous men in the world who could be doing anything with his time is a better SMU fan than most of our students and alums. That says all.
SMU-12 NCAA appearances, 1 Final Four
2014-15 & 2016-17 AAC Men's Basketball Champs

LA_Mustang

Postby okcponyfan » Thu Feb 02, 2017 10:38 am

OU has a club just like the Miller club. They have a big clock on the wall that has a countdown to tip (actually it counts down until the national anthem). About 10 minutes to go they turn off all the TV's, stop selling beer, and pick up all the food. They have a staff that starts asking people if they are done and picks up all the plates. This seems to work well
okcponyfan
Varsity

Postby PonyLawExpress » Thu Feb 02, 2017 10:46 am

okcponyfan wrote:OU has a club just like the Miller club. They have a big clock on the wall that has a countdown to tip (actually it counts down until the national anthem). About 10 minutes to go they turn off all the TV's, stop selling beer, and pick up all the food. They have a staff that starts asking people if they are done and picks up all the plates. This seems to work well

Someone needs to see if we can get something like this for next year in the Miller club. Fellow Season ticket holder being late bugs me at times but not near to the level of the smaller student crowd and most of all the lack of noise from the student crowd for majority of the game.

There are stretches last night were multiple people my section we're trying to yell to get something going and you could almost hear a pin drop in the student section and we were on d. I understand it might quiet down a little bit during a blowout but even early in the game the student section was quiet. There are a couple students in that section that really try, but it's only like 10 people. Need more frat type guys or big hoop fans in student section. Should never be quiet like that. I don't get the fall off from last year to this year with constant noise, multiple chants started, but it's taking away the amazing home court advantage we had. It's still good, but would love to get that back.
Last edited by PonyLawExpress on Thu Feb 02, 2017 10:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
PonyLawExpress
Heisman

Next

Return to Basketball