PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Well, I was wrong about this team...

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Well, I was wrong about this team...

Postby PG » Sun Dec 21, 2003 7:15 pm

...and glad to admit it. I never thought that we would win these games, considering the way we blew the ASU game. I totally underestimated this team. Hopefully it will provide a little momentum going into the Navy and OSU games before conference starts. 4 of our next 5 are still on the road so it doesn't get any easier but now this team (hopefully) knows how to win on the road. It could be huge in conference play.

Unfortunately, the SD and ASU losses look REALLY bad now. BTW, Wake beat NC in a 3OT classic yesterday. A truly great college basketball game.
PG
Junior Varsity

Re: Well, I was wrong about this team...

Postby Sam I Am » Sun Dec 21, 2003 7:33 pm

I admit that the ponies victories in the Purdue tournament changes things. Maybe the team will gain confidence in themselves and know that they really can win the big ones sometimes.
Sam I Am
Sam I Am
Hall of Famer

Postby PonyTales » Mon Dec 22, 2003 1:25 am

I would never speak ill of some of the great players we've had in years past -- Jeryl Sasser, Willie Davis, Damon Hancock, Quinton Ross -- but sometimes a team plays better without a clear-cut go-to guy. Last year, we all knew Q would take the big shots .... but so did the defense. The year before last, it was Hancock. The year before that, it was Jeryl. But this year, there's not one guy that the rest of the team can get the ball to and then stand back and watch -- they're all out there busting their tails, and it seems like they're not afraid to take the risks necessary to win big games. Won't always pay off, but I like the mettle of this team.
PonyTales
Heisman

Postby bhop » Mon Dec 22, 2003 7:41 am

I think Dement said it best following the game. This is a team that can lose at home to App State, and then beat Purdue on the road. Tough to figure out.

One thing I have noticed about this team is that a different player will step up every night. That's huge. In the past we had one or two guys who bore the scoring load. If they didn't score, SMU didn't win. Who would have thought that we could beat Purdue on the road with Kris Lowe as our leading scorer. Lowe stepped up big time! Againt Miami, BHop took over and Isham closed it out. I like that kind of balance.
bhop
Scout Team

Postby PK » Mon Dec 22, 2003 9:24 am

A good sign that BHop is starting to mature...according to a quote in the DMN, BHop noted that when he saw his shooting wasn't working, he started working to get the ball to his team mates..now that's what we need out of our PG.
SMU's first president, Robert S. Hyer, selected Harvard Crimson and Yale Blue as SMU's colors to symbolize SMU's high academic standards. We are one of the few Universities to have school colors with real meaning...and we just blow them off.
PK
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby EastStang » Mon Dec 22, 2003 2:14 pm

I think the Ponies will be up for OSU. They seem to enjoy playing Big XII teams. I would love for them to go 3-0 in the Big XII.
UNC better keep that Ram away from Peruna
EastStang
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby OldPony » Mon Dec 22, 2003 2:39 pm

Maybe Hopkins best effort so far. He did a great job of running the show when he realized he wasn't shooting well. This is much more impressive to me than scoring 35. Now, if these guys don't start reading their press clippings, they are capable of getting to the dance. The way they have been so far this year though, we ought to prepare for a loss to Navy. es
OldPony
Heisman

Return to Basketball