PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Sad Tulsa fans wish they had some Shake

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Sad Tulsa fans wish they had some Shake

Postby Stallion » Wed Feb 08, 2017 8:55 pm

Small time thinking-WAC schools went back into their little Mountain time obscurity. There were some damn good football teams too in the WAC 16 with Wyoming and BYU especially with Top 10 teams. I hated West Coast starting times though-we are better off in the AAC
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby lollaperuna » Wed Feb 08, 2017 10:20 pm

Going west was a huge mistake, we should have gone to C-USA with Houston.
lollaperuna
All-American

Postby Stallion » Wed Feb 08, 2017 10:23 pm

yeah I definitely thought the same but very few at the time agreed because that Conference was just getting established and didn't have a solid TV/Bowl contracts yet. We should have followed Houston instead of Rice. Looks better today but Cincy, Louisville, USF weren't as established back then. It would have great Basketball though

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conferenc ... p_timeline
Last edited by Stallion on Wed Feb 08, 2017 10:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby DanFreibergerForHeisman » Wed Feb 08, 2017 10:28 pm

Yeah WAC '96 was fun!

Did we really have a choice though? I thought the WAC was our only option but that was 1996 so I am sure I don't remember everything as well as I should.
Shake It Off Moody
DanFreibergerForHeisman

Postby lollaperuna » Wed Feb 08, 2017 11:31 pm

I called and left a message on Coach Greggs voice mail begging him not to take us west, but in reality it wouldn't have changed anything for us because our commitment issues would have been the same. They joined the WAC because of BYU, Utah and Air Force and I understand that, but it was still a huge mistake.
lollaperuna
All-American

Postby hoopmanx » Thu Feb 09, 2017 9:38 am

I find the Going west complaints funny. That league was so much more entertaining, even in hoops, than the AAC or old CUSA. Great destination trips for road games. Conference tourneys will never be the same and it was competitive as hell. In some ways, I'd rather be in the MWC now than AAC, provided we could add another program or two
hoopmanx
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby lollaperuna » Thu Feb 09, 2017 11:40 am

To each his own, but the WAC 16 only lasted 3 years and then we were left with WAC hell. Only fond memories I have of that time are the games against Tark the Shark's UNLV teams and Bill Self's Tulsa teams. Everything else is a bad dream.
lollaperuna
All-American

Postby gostangs » Thu Feb 09, 2017 11:48 am

The ONLY reason to go west would be if we got some P5 dough (PAC). Everything in the west below PAC with exception of BYU is not worth it - just total obscurity. The time difference is just a killer. Great visit spots I agree - but for our long term viability I think we are in the best spot we could be in, given the long and winding circumstances.
gostangs

Postby smusic 00 » Thu Feb 09, 2017 11:57 am

lollaperuna wrote:To each his own, but the WAC 16 only lasted 3 years and then we were left with WAC hell. Only fond memories I have of that time are the games against Tark the Shark's UNLV teams and Bill Self's Tulsa teams. Everything else is a bad dream.

Keith Van Horn's Utah squad, too.
smusic 00

Postby 1983 Cotton Bowl » Thu Feb 09, 2017 12:24 pm

lollaperuna wrote:To each his own, but the WAC 16 only lasted 3 years and then we were left with WAC hell. Only fond memories I have of that time are the games against Tark the Shark's UNLV teams and Bill Self's Tulsa teams. Everything else is a bad dream.

I agree. WAC-16 was interesting during its brief life. WAC-8, however, was the lowest rung of college athletics hell.
1983 Cotton Bowl
Heisman

Postby PonyTime » Thu Feb 09, 2017 12:50 pm

hoopmanx wrote:WAC 16 was my favorite league ever. The tourneys in Vegas were too much fun

Those Vegas Wac tournaments were the best. Some great Basketball and a lot of fans traveled.

Utah was so much better than anything we have in the AAC right now. New Mexico and UNLV were strong as well back then.

Dave Bliss had the Lobos Dancing 7 out of 9 seasons from 91-99. After Bliss left they only went once in the next 10 years.
"Moral Victories Make Me Sick" - TR

PonyTime
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby DanFreibergerForHeisman » Thu Feb 09, 2017 1:24 pm

PonyTime wrote:
hoopmanx wrote:WAC 16 was my favorite league ever. The tourneys in Vegas were too much fun

Those Vegas Wac tournaments were the best. Some great Basketball and a lot of fans traveled.

Utah was so much better than anything we have in the AAC right now. New Mexico and UNLV were strong as well back then.

Dave Bliss had the Lobos Dancing 7 out of 9 seasons from 91-99. After Bliss left they only went once in the next 10 years.

Yeah. Bliss leaving UNM was a killer.
Shake It Off Moody
DanFreibergerForHeisman

Postby ericdickerson4life » Thu Feb 09, 2017 2:06 pm

Ahh, I see what you did there.
ericdickerson4life
Heisman

Previous

Return to Basketball