PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

SMU considered a bubble team...

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: SMU considered a bubble team...

Postby The PonyGrad » Wed Feb 08, 2017 4:53 pm

We are BPI #19, Michigan just killed MSU and are now BPI #25!
:D
Go Ponies!!
Beat whoever it is we are playing!!

@PonyGrad
The PonyGrad
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby skyscraper » Wed Feb 08, 2017 5:02 pm

Glad to hear that about the VIPs. Nice that the stars will come out to shine for our ESPN game.
skyscraper

Postby smustatesman » Wed Feb 08, 2017 5:09 pm

smusic 00 wrote:
smustatesman wrote:In Philly it's time to party like a bunch of Romans in 70 AD.

In the year 70AD the Romans tore down the temple in Jerusalem.
Smustatesman aka NUKE......I procreate and I vote.
smustatesman
All-American

Postby smusic 00 » Wed Feb 08, 2017 5:13 pm

So you're saying there were no orgies? Doesn't sound very Roman to me.
smusic 00

Postby mrydel » Wed Feb 08, 2017 5:56 pm

smusic 00 wrote:
PonyTime wrote:
smusic 00 wrote:Actually, the Cowboys may be returning on Sunday. Be forewarned.

I would expect to see quite a few Cowboys at Moody on Sunday along with a former President.

Might see a few Mavericks as well - as the Cincy game is sandwiched between two Mavs home games.

In fact, someone should leave Mark Cuban a ticket so that he can see some good basketball.

I heard some whispers from the ticket office that they are struggling to fulfill all of the VIP requests.

My request came through.
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

Postby smustatesman » Thu Feb 09, 2017 3:19 pm

smusic 00 wrote:So you're saying there were no orgies? Doesn't sound very Roman to me.

No your right. There were many Roman orgies. One even attained its own name, "Polanski"
Smustatesman aka NUKE......I procreate and I vote.
smustatesman
All-American

Postby mrydel » Thu Feb 09, 2017 3:29 pm

Romo most likely will not be there. He is playing in the Pebble Beach Pro Am.
mrydel

Postby austinponie » Thu Feb 09, 2017 4:33 pm

NCAA Pre-Selection Show Saturday...

http://www.cardchronicle.com/2017/1/24/ ... -coming-in

Someone could surmise what remaining 28 teams will comprise the field.
Remaining games, SOS, Power rankings, number of automatic qualifiers, etc...

I'm still stewing about 2014...
austinponie
All-American

Postby indianmustang » Thu Feb 09, 2017 4:38 pm

Would be nice if smu sneaks in top16 show
Mustang from India
indianmustang

Postby PonyLawExpress » Thu Feb 09, 2017 5:18 pm

indianmustang wrote:Would be nice if smu sneaks in top16 show

I keep up with most of the people brackets and there in 0% chance we will sneak into the Top 16 show (especially since its before Cincy), unless they discuss teams not in the top 16. We dont have the marquee wins right now to be near a 4 or 5 seed. We have no bad losses on the resume (since Boise has played well and UM has won some games) and several good wins, but only 1 top 50 win . We are firmly a 7-8 seed right now.

From looking a projections and considering BPI, KenPom and RPI I would guess:
If we beat Cincy and sweep the rest of conference play I would guess we would end up a 5-6 seed depending on the Conference Tourney.
If we lose to Cincy and win out or Beat Cincy and slip up on the road (16-2) I would assume we pull a 6-7 seed depending on the Conference Tourney.
If we finish 15-3 in conference I would guess a 7-10 seed, depending on the Conference Tourney.

Anything worse we are on the bubble, but we would really have to lose 4-5 games down the stretch not to make the tourney. Our resume isn't really strong (because of lack of marquee wins), but its also not weak like alot of teams looking for a spot or how its been in the past for us (since we dont have any bad losses and a good amount of solid wins).
PonyLawExpress
Heisman

Postby mrydel » Thu Feb 09, 2017 5:20 pm

No one making any decisions will see us tonight. We are bookended by NC/Duke and UCLA/Oregon.
mrydel

Postby gostangs » Thu Feb 09, 2017 11:15 pm

they see anyone in the top 25 well enough. 16 pt road win against temple is still worth something.

Now beating Cinn would really be worth something.
gostangs

Postby Harry0569 » Fri Feb 10, 2017 11:54 am

The Watch has cast its Sauronian eye in Houston's general direction. Sure, the Cougars lack quality wins and have nothing interesting on their resume, but, hey, so goes the bubble. They're not here yet, but they might get a long-shot spot with a win at Tulsa on Saturday. (Which, by the way, features a Kelvin Sampson/Frank Haith coaching showdown, the basketball equivalent of a windowless van with "scholarships" spray-painted on the side. Seems legit.)

Cincinnati [22-2 (11-0), RPI: 15, SOS: 74] Is this the best team of coach Mick Cronin's tenure? It's beginning to look that way. The Bearcats play a physical, imposing brand of defense that makes up for occasional rebounding woes with devastating first-shot defense, particularly inside the arc, where opponents shoot a 39.6 percent that's second worst in the country. Meanwhile, they don't turn the ball over and crash the offensive glass -- all the things that make Cronin's teams good year over year, only dialed up. Their resume doesn't have the kind of high-end wins, though beating Xavier isn't totally far off, but in any case this is a very good team with a very good nitty-gritty sheet. As it should be.

SMU [21-4 (11-1), RPI: 25, SOS: 101] After starting 4-3, SMU's crucial win at Temple makes it 17-1 in its past 18 games, and the Mustangs were a bucket from a win at Cincinnati on Jan. 12. Former Duke transfer Semi Ojeleye has spent all season proving why he was signed by no less august a program than the Blue Devils in the first place; his latest demonstration came Thursday, with a 30-point, 10-rebound performance. We moved Tim Jankovich's team into the "should be in" category after that victory, and deservedly so. In the meantime, we can't wait for Sunday, when Cincinnati makes its return visit. SMU has spent the past month and change gradually raising statistically minded folks' eyebrows. Now we get to test our hypotheses: Just how good are these guys, anyway?

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/bubblewatch
"smupony94: Harry, you have been promoted to purveyor of official status capabilities."
Harry0569

Postby DiamondM » Fri Feb 10, 2017 11:58 am

The Bubble Watch explained that a Lock means a LOCK, which is why good teams the *should* be locks are not yet labeled as such:

An injury, a downturn, a weird shooting slump, a cold spell down the stretch -- the strange pitfalls other teams as empirically good as West Virginia could easily weather are things that might all of a sudden make the Mountaineers' seed, if not its tournament bid, vulnerable. It widens the possibility space. It makes us nervous. Which brings us to the second point: We don't want to move locks. Words mean things. And if there's a chance a team could evolve into not-a-lock by the end of the season, we'd rather play it safe.
DiamondM
Heisman

Postby DiamondM » Fri Feb 10, 2017 12:01 pm

Another thing about the Bubble Watch that I love is that it lists the conferences alphabetically. None of this "let's list our favorite big conferences first" crap. If you're interested in college basketball, the NCAA tourney, and the bubble, you have to read about all the conferences. And we're alphabetically first, so we get top billing.
DiamondM
Heisman

Previous

Return to Basketball