PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Temple Fans not Impressed

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Temple Fans not Impressed

Postby One Trick Pony » Sat Feb 11, 2017 11:52 am

All you guys are so smart I really admire you all.
One Trick Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby PonyTime » Sat Feb 11, 2017 11:56 am

Nic's passing better than shakes. He was better at anticipating the play well before it happened.

Nic was also able to get to the line at critical points to get free points. Cant recall how many times he would sense a guy behind him and put on the breaks drawing a foul late in a game.

Can't argue the defense - hard to compare with the 1 ft difference.

All said and done - Shake will be playing in the NBA. Has more to do with the 1 ft than anything else.
"Moral Victories Make Me Sick" - TR

PonyTime
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby ponyte » Sat Feb 11, 2017 12:09 pm

How refreshing of a change. For once on this board we are discussing which Mustang player is the best at point guard instead of whining about how crappy the point guard play is. It wasn't that long ago we had Hades finding a serviceable point guard. Both Nic and Shake have done very well with completely different styles.

I think the Temple win is bigger than we appreciate. We won on the road and it was the second road trip with significant consequences in a row for this team. Meaningful back to back road wins late in the season is both physically and mentally tougher.

And I don't know how any basketball observer with half a brain can say SMU was unimpressive given Semi Ojeleye's play. 38 minuets played, 30 points, 10 rebounds and only one personal foul. With that play the rest of the team could be on cruise control and win.

I'm looking forward to Sunday. That will be an epic game and Moody will be on fire.
ponyte

Postby soccermom » Sat Feb 11, 2017 12:12 pm

Temple has fans???
soccermom
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby One Trick Pony » Sat Feb 11, 2017 12:12 pm

ponyte wrote:How refreshing of a change. For once on this board we are discussing which Mustang player is the best at point guard instead of whining about how crappy the point guard play is. It wasn't that long ago we had Hades finding a serviceable point guard. Both Nic and Shake have done very well with completely different styles.

I think the Temple win is bigger than we appreciate. We won on the road and it was the second road trip with significant consequences in a row for this team. Meaningful back to back road wins late in the season is both physically and mentally tougher.

And I don't know how any basketball observer with half a brain can say SMU was unimpressive given Semi Ojeleye's play. 38 minuets played, 30 points, 10 rebounds and only one personal foul. With that play the rest of the team could be on cruise control and win.

I'm looking forward to Sunday. That will be an epic game and Moody will be on fire.

I miss your scared to Hades blog
One Trick Pony

Postby ponyte » Sat Feb 11, 2017 12:21 pm

One Trick Pony wrote:
ponyte wrote:How refreshing of a change. For once on this board we are discussing which Mustang player is the best at point guard instead of whining about how crappy the point guard play is. It wasn't that long ago we had Hades finding a serviceable point guard. Both Nic and Shake have done very well with completely different styles.

I miss your scared to Hades blog

Maybe next season. I'm more optimistic that we will be scared as Hades next season.
ponyte

Postby hoopmanx » Sat Feb 11, 2017 12:26 pm

PonyTime wrote:Nic's passing better than shakes. He was better at anticipating the play well before it happened.

Nic was also able to get to the line at critical points to get free points. Cant recall how many times he would sense a guy behind him and put on the breaks drawing a foul late in a game.

Can't argue the defense - hard to compare with the 1 ft difference.

All said and done - Shake will be playing in the NBA. Has more to do with the 1 ft than anything else.

I'm not so sure Nic's passing is even better, but I agree that he'd be league w/Shakes size
hoopmanx
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Charleston Pony » Sat Feb 11, 2017 3:14 pm

sadderbudweiser wrote:
hoopmanx wrote:Watch more ball, comment less. There is no PG in the current AAC as good as Shake or w nearly as high a ceiling. Beyond the numbers, Shake is twice the perimeter defender now, that Nic was as a senior

Nic as soph. 13.6 ppg, 4.9 apg, 2.3 Rpg, 1.5 spg
Shake as soph 13.7 ppg, 4.4 apg, 4.4 Rpg. 1.3 spg

I don't know hoss. Not knocking anyone on the team's play or your opinions but I sat 20 feet from the floor last night and watched 4 different guys performing essentially the same functions at different times last night. If you want to refer to Shake as the best point guard in the conference....fine with me. I guess he IS better at it than the others. Semantics or ummmm.... Hoopmantics!

Shake had an "off night" against Temple and was pretty careless with the ball at times, but check his assist to turnover ratio against Nic's as a soph. That's another huge stat as far as I am concerned for a PG. Shake has protected and distributed as well as Nic did and his length helps our D as well.
Charleston Pony

Postby sadderbudweiser » Sat Feb 11, 2017 6:56 pm

soccermom wrote:Temple has fans???

Winner!
Party at The Wopper!
sadderbudweiser

Postby sadderbudweiser » Sat Feb 11, 2017 6:59 pm

One Trick Pony wrote:All you guys are so smart I really admire you all.

Thank you. The thread title had us worried.
Party at The Wopper!
sadderbudweiser

Previous

Return to Basketball