PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Foul call question

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Foul call question

Postby Junior » Sun Feb 12, 2017 7:19 pm

I'm sure it's been answered elsewhere, but....

When Shake was fouled going to the basket, he was awarded two shots. But his shot was goaltender, and that was not called.

If it was a shooting foul, why did he not get the basket and s foul shot?
Derail the Frogs!
Junior
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: Foul call question

Postby DanFreibergerForHeisman » Sun Feb 12, 2017 7:21 pm

Cuz they didn't call the goaltending - which of course was just ridiculous!
Shake It Off Moody
DanFreibergerForHeisman

Postby Puckhead48E » Sun Feb 12, 2017 7:22 pm

I think this is what Cronin was yelling at the assistant about...apologizing for the bad pro-UC officiating!
Puckhead48E
Heisman

Postby Charleston Pony » Sun Feb 12, 2017 8:17 pm

missed goal tending call but I could not tell whether coaching staff picked up on that and asked for a review. Maybe not reviewable?
Charleston Pony

Postby Puckhead48E » Sun Feb 12, 2017 8:20 pm

Charleston Pony wrote:missed goal tending call but I could not tell whether coaching staff picked up on that and asked for a review. Maybe not reviewable?

Jank was all over the officials before the FT's were shot, and after as they prepared to inbound. Then...he moved on. Really think his temperament has impacted this team in a great way. We haven't seen as many outbursts as we did before in key moments...emotionality has been controlled in big situations better this season.
Puckhead48E
Heisman

Postby shadowman » Sun Feb 12, 2017 8:22 pm

Junior wrote:I'm sure it's been answered elsewhere, but....

When Shake was fouled going to the basket, he was awarded two shots. But his shot was goaltender, and that was not called.

Just the simple case of an official calling a shooting foul and then all the refs going into "relax mode" and either not seeing/not processing that is was also a goaltend.

To be fair, easy mistake to make, everyone watches the foul, and when you do get fouled hard, shot comes off a bit ugly.

No real gripe with the refs there, and really not a big deal....Make both free throwse, and at most, it costs you 1 point (assuming they even called goaltending and you made the freetrhow).

Not a big deal, they called the shooting foul, and that is what was important.
Probaly won't happen...BUT...maybe it will!!
shadowman
Hall of Famer

Foul call question

Postby Junior » Sun Feb 12, 2017 8:27 pm

shadowman wrote:

Just the simple case of an official calling a shooting foul and then all the refs going into "relax mode" and either not seeing/not processing that is was also a goaltend.

To be fair, easy mistake to make, everyone watches the foul, and when you do get fouled hard, shot comes off a bit ugly.

No real gripe with the refs there, and really not a big deal....Make both free throwse, and at most, it costs you 1 point (assuming they even called goaltending and you made the freetrhow).

So the three blind mice missed it, but 7,500 fans didn't?

From an amateur eye, these refs blew for 40 minutes. They missed calls on both ends. And they didn't seem to understand the concept of traveling. I haven't watched the TV game yet, but it seemed like they missed a ton of calls. But I may change my mind after watching the replay.
Derail the Frogs!
Junior

Postby SMULaxer » Sun Feb 12, 2017 8:29 pm

shadowman wrote:

Officials missed a bunch of calls. That crew was unacceptable.
Pay Lashlee more money
SMULaxer
Heisman

Postby Puckhead48E » Sun Feb 12, 2017 8:31 pm

They definitely missed the memo on dragging the plant foot, but overall it wasn't terribly slanted. As said above, a lot of what seemed to be missed seemed to be amateur hour officiating. But, you also often get more relaxed officiating in big games because that allows the players to decide the game.

But...missing the goaltend is just pathetic. If you call a shooting foul and don't follow the ball, how do you know if it's an and-one or 2 free throws?
Puckhead48E
Heisman

Postby SMUstangs22 » Sun Feb 12, 2017 8:32 pm

They were very bad. Especially the old short pudgey white guy. He was 70% of the bad calls himself
SMUstangs22
Hall of Famer

Postby DanFreibergerForHeisman » Sun Feb 12, 2017 8:44 pm

I did like how Cincinnati was apparently allowed to catch a rebound off balance and take four or five steps to regain their balance.
Shake It Off Moody
DanFreibergerForHeisman

Postby Junior » Sun Feb 12, 2017 8:47 pm

DanFreibergerForHeisman wrote:I did like how Cincinnati was apparently allowed to catch a rebound off balance and take four or five steps to regain their balance.

Saw that one.
Derail the Frogs!
Junior

Postby mrydel » Sun Feb 12, 2017 9:11 pm

Charleston Pony wrote:missed goal tending call but I could not tell whether coaching staff picked up on that and asked for a review. Maybe not reviewable?

If goal tending was reviewable we are in round two of the NCAAs a couple of years ago.
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

Postby Dukie » Sun Feb 12, 2017 10:21 pm

SMUstangs22 wrote:They were very bad. Especially the old short pudgey white guy. He was 70% of the bad calls himself

He was the worst ref I've ever seen.
Dukie
Heisman

Postby SMUstangs22 » Sun Feb 12, 2017 10:30 pm

Dukie wrote:
SMUstangs22 wrote:They were very bad. Especially the old short pudgey white guy. He was 70% of the bad calls himself

He was the worst ref I've ever seen.

He was bad. Really bad. But I think he takes a close second to the larger bald white guy in early non conference play. Both were bad enough it seemed like their first times though
SMUstangs22
Hall of Famer

Next

Return to Basketball