PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

AAC basketball rivals

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

AAC basketball rivals

Postby ponyfan37 » Sun Feb 12, 2017 11:45 pm

Being in a conference that lacks big-time rivalries, how would you all rank our in-conference basketball rivals?

I think 3 through 6 is interchangeable, but this is just my opinion.

1. Cincinnati- There have been some great games between the two over the last few years. Two most consistent programs since the inception of our conference. Our crowd loves when they come to town. Just hope we will win up there eventually!

2. UCONN- They are obviously down, but they are still a big name. I love that we seem to have there number. The win over them in 2014 really started #MoodyMagic.

3. Houston- The only traditional rival. With their program improving, I could see this series becoming more exciting in future years.

4. Tulsa- Creating Moody North over the last few years have been great. They also hate us so much, which I find hilarious.

5. Temple- They are tough to beat and a historical program. I imagine they'll be back in NCAA Tourney discussion in the next few years.

6. Memphis- I feel like this one could definitely be higher, but it just hasn't been a very exciting series lately. It's funny how this series has changed since the C-USA days.

I don't consider any of the other series very relevant. We have one loss since the beginning of the 2013 season to any of these teams and that was USF in 2014.
Pony up!
ponyfan37
Varsity

Re: AAC basketball rivals

Postby blackoutpony » Mon Feb 13, 2017 12:23 am

I'd put Memphis over Temple and stop there. I don't feel anything for Temple at all.

Cincy vs SMU is a rock fight every time and it's been great.
BOP - Providing insensitivity training for a politically correct world since 1989.
blackoutpony
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby SMU1523 » Mon Feb 13, 2017 12:44 am

I'd agree with this
SMU1523
Heisman

Postby ponyte » Mon Feb 13, 2017 6:11 am

I would put Houston at the top. Rivalry is beyond basketball. WE have played Houston far more than any other team in the AAC. They are our only old SWC team we play against in a conference. I would then put UCONN second. The wins against them, especially the year they won it all, are bigger wins than any other in the AAC for us. Next Cincy cause they are constantly the best team we played over the last 4 years or so.
ponyte
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby SMUstangs22 » Mon Feb 13, 2017 6:26 am

Memphis needs to be top 25 to bring the match up back
SMUstangs22
Hall of Famer

Return to Basketball