PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Disturbance at End of Game

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Disturbance at End of Game

Postby The Falcon » Mon Feb 13, 2017 1:39 am

Forgive me if someone has already answered this topic. I have read most posts earlier
and have scanned briefly just now and didn't see any comment.

As the game ended and the players were shaking hands in front of the scorer's table,
my son pointed out that Mick Cronin was in a near fight with what looked like an
SMU assistant coach or staff member. I didn't see it because whatever it was ended quickly.

Can anyone elaborate on this? I listened to Jank's post game interview and also to
Mick's postgame radio interview. Neither was asked the question and neither brought
up the subject.

In other threads many have commented on the students chants of "overrated." I almost
yelled "Shut Up" when I heard it because it demonstrates a high school mentality and
belittles your team's great victory over a very good team. I have always hated this chant
even more than high school kids singing ...Hey Hey Hey, Good Bye.
The Falcon
All-American

Re: Disturbance at End of Game

Postby ponyfan37 » Mon Feb 13, 2017 2:12 am

Cronin and Jank seemed to have a friendly embrace. Couldn't see interaction with Cronin and any others on TV, however.
Pony up!
ponyfan37
Varsity

Postby mrydel » Mon Feb 13, 2017 7:49 am

Someone mentioned elsewhere Cronin irritated with our video guy. I know nothing more.
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Bergermeister » Mon Feb 13, 2017 9:00 am

mrydel wrote:Someone mentioned elsewhere Cronin irritated with our video guy. I know nothing more.

Golly, we wouldn't want to irritate the man, would we? :lol:
Bergermeister

Postby mustang1992 » Mon Feb 13, 2017 10:22 am

All speculation on my part.

I did notice it from the start and tried to read Cronin's lips to see what he was saying. He was pissed about either the way the assistant shook his hand or did not shake his hand, because I saw something about "handshake." I also noticed the assistant showing the others, after they went to the huddle for the school song, how he stuck out his hand, etc. Little inappropriate for him to address an assistant that way. You don't like it move on, or, say something to the head coach and let us deal with it - if it needs dealing with. I like playing against him, but he definitely has attitude and rears itself where it ought not to from time to time. I realize he was mad at losing, but . . . there is an appropriate and an inappropriate way of handling things, even when we are mad.
mustang1992
All-American

Postby Pony_Law » Mon Feb 13, 2017 10:38 am

Does anyone have a link to Cronin's post game?
Pony_Law
Hall of Famer

Postby Pony64 » Mon Feb 13, 2017 11:08 am

Bergermeister wrote:
mrydel wrote:Someone mentioned elsewhere Cronin irritated with our video guy. I know nothing more.

Golly, we wouldn't want to irritate the man, would we? :lol:

Absolutely. Who cares that he got irritated. The irritation put towards him the better. Glad the students got after him.
Pony64
Varsity

Postby PonyTime » Mon Feb 13, 2017 11:17 am

Burred in the bearcat forum game thread was an interesting discussion of our Moody Home court advantage...

--------

So moody is going to be insane. I like how we responded in an arena like Hilton but this is a much better team and a Crowd that will be ape [deleted].

Troy was talking about how the student section is right behind the bench and they harass you. That's tough.

--------

I kinda wish we'd dedicate 3 rows behind the opposing teams bench to student section. Obviously would never happen since they are high dollar seats but it seems like it's a damn good distraction.

----------

It's criminal how close they allow the students to the players. I think it's a borderline unfair advantage. I can't think of another arena that has a set up like that. I know if UC had that set up when I was a student I probably would have been arrested bc something woulda had to give lol.

Look at the Washington player who slapped the student recently. It could easily happen at Moody. Letting a bunch of drunk, applied rich college kids that close to players is recipe for disaster. All it takes is one choice word or action to set something off. But, since we are one of their biggest opponents who play there it probably doesn't get the attention it deserves.
-------

Cronin advocated for the new arena plans for students to wrap around the court, specifically behind the opposing bench. Cited Moody and the advantage it created. Heard it straight from his mouth at one of the town hall meetings a couple years ago.
"Moral Victories Make Me Sick" - TR

PonyTime
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby sadderbudweiser » Mon Feb 13, 2017 11:23 am

Rick Pitino endorses this post.
Party at The Wopper!
sadderbudweiser

Postby gostangs » Mon Feb 13, 2017 11:34 am

Applebee's sponsors this post.
gostangs

Postby SMU_Alum11 » Mon Feb 13, 2017 11:39 am

It wouldn't be that great of an advantage if you only have a 6 man team, haha. Like someone pointed on another thread to my comment from Cincy's thread, they have their fans and family right behind them. It's just that our Mob likes to make them think they are right behind them. It's fair game when the opposing coach is on the other side of the court yelling to his players.
Insert "this is fine" GIF
SMU_Alum11
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby ponyboy » Mon Feb 13, 2017 12:40 pm

It's been the case for a while that opposing coaches hated the harassment our students dole out. Remember the Bobby Knight rant about SMU students? And I'm not talking about when he was an announcer. I'm talking about when he was coaching here against us.
ponyboy

Postby Junior » Mon Feb 13, 2017 12:46 pm

I like the Overrated chant. Especially when we win.
Derail the Frogs!
Junior

Postby Pony_Law » Mon Feb 13, 2017 3:42 pm

So I used to sit in Section 113 Row 3 (right behind the visiting bench). I was there from the opening of new Moody until the start of this season. Season 1 the fans were on top of opposing coaches and players constantly talking trash. There were a few times that even as a rabid SMU fan the student's were borderline inappropriate (never fully crossing the line but coming right up to it). Of course all of this is in ear shot of players family who sit in row 1 and 2 of 113. There were several times I thought a fight was possibly going to break out. During the Course of year 2 several fraternity members managed to grab mob seats and were right back to giving coaches at players a hard time. However I am convinced someone complained because about halfway through the season, they started kicking these kids out for riding coaches and players. Security seemed overly sensitive and hyper vigilant against our student fans. The rowdy students didn't sit there anymore and the trash talking was basically non-existent from that point on. Maybe it has returned but I doubt it. That said it continues to be really really loud down there.
Pony_Law
Hall of Famer

Return to Basketball