PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

OFFICIAL GAME 27 THREAD: Tulane vs. SMU

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

OFFICIAL GAME 27 THREAD: Tulane vs. SMU

Postby skyscraper » Thu Feb 16, 2017 12:06 am

He's saying you're acting like a petulant child. No, that was not the greatest game in SMU history. But we toughed it out and got the W after a dreadful first half. Survive and advance.
skyscraper
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: OFFICIAL GAME 27 THREAD: Tulane vs. SMU

Postby SMU_Alum11 » Thu Feb 16, 2017 12:10 am

Stallion wrote:
SMU_Alum11 wrote:In theory, we should drop out of the top 25 with that performance. I mean my goodness. Ugly ugly game. Heck the refs might have bailed us out.

Its was Championship drive caliber win-someday after you watch more than a handful of College Basketball games maybe you'll learn that sometimes Championship teams need to nut it up when they aren't playing well. Rising up in the face of adversity is the definition of a Championship team-name a good non-Championship SMU team and I'll show you a game where they didn't get it done. SMU once had the great Georgetown team with Patrick Ewing on the ropes after they played probably their worst games ever but they came back and took it from us. Guess what they call that team-National Champions. We beat UCONN 2 times in their National Championship but they didn't quit. They too are forever National Champions. And your worried about our national ranking after one of the great comebacks in SMU History

BTW why weren't YOU at the Game-the team needed the fans and those that were there rose to the occasion too. Loved the 2nd Half Standing Ovation before 2nd half tip

Fair point, I'm new to college basketball and heck even football, but definitely basketball. I'm judging the game based on our games since 2013. I can't think of a game that was worst than this. I get it that Tulane was shooting out of their mind, but its not like they shot underhand into the rafters and glided down into the basket. There were a lot of open shots and you have to adjust for them. I get ours on the flip side weren't going down but you can make bad unforced turnovers and going for very low probability shots. With the example of beating UCONN, which I enjoyed greatly, but this was against a 4 win 200+ RPI team that almost beat us in our own court. I get people nowadays are uncomfortable with criticism, but I have to think it's somewhat justify given those parameters. I even saw Jank said something to the effect "No offense to Tulane, but we were hitting the Kool-Aid".

Yes, I know, I wish I could have been there but unfortunately I couldn't make it. I'm glad to see/hear, despite what should have been and predicted blowout that a lot of people and students showed up.
Insert "this is fine" GIF
SMU_Alum11
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby PonySnob » Thu Feb 16, 2017 12:11 am

Charleston Pony wrote:
untitled wrote:
Charleston Pony wrote:[quote="SMU_Alum11"]That was the worst game I have ever seen. My God who was out there? It sure wasn't in hell the mustangs! Was it USF players in our uniforms? We barely squeaked by at home against a what 200 RPI team? Better get their asses in gear when they go on the road against mediocre but much better than Tulane.

worst game ever? I gather you haven't followed SMU basketball in the post death penalty era

THIS was the worst game ever: http://www.espn.com/ncb/recap/_/gameId/320462567

Maybe in recent history, but I watched tiny Rollins College come into Moody and beat SMU in Jon Koncack's FR year. We've had some really bad losses over the years[/quote]

The loss to Jackson State in 2011 at that DISD facility was pretty bad..........

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Peruna is my mascot!
PonySnob

Postby SMU_Alum11 » Thu Feb 16, 2017 12:15 am

skyscraper wrote:He's saying you're acting like a petulant child. No, that was not the greatest game in SMU history. But we toughed it out and got the W after a dreadful first half. Survive and advance.

Before making insults, have a reason for them. I'm just criticizing the performance like a lot of people. We almost blew our chances for the tourney. Assuming we didn't get the auto-bid, this loss would have been a nail in the coffin. I went ahead and looked up just to make sure but losing to #275 in the RPI at home would have been the excuse the NCAA needed to keep us out.

While we toughed it out, survive and all those wonderful things, it still was a dreadful performance. If you deny that then I'm not sure what to say other than you have very low standards for success.
SMU_Alum11
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Stallion » Thu Feb 16, 2017 12:21 am

The football team most SMU fans call the greatest in SMU History had to come back about 5-6 times to go undefeated in 1982 including to several bad teams. A bad TCU team that I think finished 3-8 neutered the Pony Express and almost beat us in their Super Bowl-SMU won 16-13 at home. Then we slid by Houston at Home 20-14. Baylor had us down 14-0 or something before we made a wild comeback led by two improbable Lance Mcillhenny bombs to ignite SMU to a comeback 22-19 victory. Texas had us tied at 14 with 9 minutes left to play in Austin until SMU blew them away late-Bobby Leach made a huge play and an acrobatic catch on route to a 70 yard TD. A mediocre 4-7 Texas Tech literally kicked our [deleted] all day long on offense and defense to tie us with 17 seconds left-then Bobby Leach made one of the Top 2 plays in SMU History. Arkansas had us on the ropes a couple of times in the 4th Q but we made a long Championship drive to salvage a tie. Pitt had us down 3-0 for most of the Game until we came back to win when McIllhenny put the ball in the end zone. Championship teams rise to the occasion. That's what you remember-that someone at some time like the Miracle Man Bobby Leach rose up and made a big plays to spark a Championship
Last edited by Stallion on Thu Feb 16, 2017 1:08 am, edited 9 times in total.
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby LA_Mustang » Thu Feb 16, 2017 12:22 am

My god, man. Please stop posting this garbage. You're making yourself look sillier with each post. This has to be a bit, right?
SMU-12 NCAA appearances, 1 Final Four
2014-15 & 2016-17 AAC Men's Basketball Champs

LA_Mustang

Postby SMU_Alum11 » Thu Feb 16, 2017 12:25 am

I remember seeing this file, not to go all football, but thought this was pretty amazing win. I wasn't born then so I couldn't see it person but nevertheless I love the ending. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zx1PccepNHQ
SMU_Alum11
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby blackoutpony » Thu Feb 16, 2017 12:59 am

Guys, a loss to a #273 RPI and 4 win team when you're the #19 team in country would arguably be one of the worst losses in SMU bball history based on circumstance. Could you imagine not winning the regular season title because of a loss to [deleted] Tulane????

While saying it would keep us out of the tourney is dumb, it's the kind of game that takes you from a 5 to a 9 seed by itself, since there is zero respect for the AAC. It was UGGGGLLLYYYYYYY.

Thank God the team won, but hopefully they stop reading their own press clippings after this.
BOP - Providing insensitivity training for a politically correct world since 1989.
blackoutpony
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby kc711 » Thu Feb 16, 2017 1:04 am

SMU_Alum11 wrote:That was the worst game I have ever seen. My God who was out there? It sure wasn't in hell the mustangs! Was it USF players in our uniforms? We barely squeaked by at home against a what 200 RPI team? Better get their asses in gear when they go on the road against mediocre but much better than Tulane.

So good to know that you are perfect. You are amazing that you never have a bad day at work or make a series of mistakes.

Games like the one tonight happen. Tulane played great and they were ready for us. Admire the desire and hustle displayed by the Mustangs to win this game when they were having an off night and were playing an opponent who saw this game as their conference championship game. You have a lot to learn.
kc711
Scout Team

Postby Stallion » Thu Feb 16, 2017 1:23 am

I know I may be different-some may only care about the marque wins- but god I love these moments in College athletics-when your team gets off the mat when their backs are against the wall. When your team refuses to lose-that's championship character to me. They made a pretty good movie about it-and just like Knute Rockne after another Half-Time deficit -I'm pretty damn happy with that win:

ROCKNE: Well, boys ... I haven't a thing to say.  Played a great game...all of you. Great game. 
(He tries to smile.)  I guess we just can't expect to win ‘em all.  (Rockne pauses and says quietly).

I'm going to tell you something I've kept to myself for years -- None of you ever knew George Gipp.  It was long before your time.  But you know what a tradition he is at Notre Dame...
(There is gentle, faraway look in his eyes as he recalls the boy's words).  And the last thing he said to me -- "Rock," he said - "sometime, when the team is up against it -- and the breaks are beating the boys -- tell them to go out there with all they got and win just one for the Gipper...
(Knute's eyes become misty and his voice is unsteady as he finishes).  I don't know where I'll be then, Rock", he said - "but I'll know about it - and I'll be happy."
There is a hushed stillness as Rockne and the crowd of boys look at each other. In the midst of this tense silence, Rockne quietly says "Alright," to the men beside him, and his chair is wheeled slowly out of the dressing room.

PLAYER # 12:  Well, what are we waiting for?
With a single roar, the players throw off their blankets and rush through the doorway.

"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby The Falcon » Thu Feb 16, 2017 2:35 am

I've been watching SMU basketball since 1968 and this was definitely not the worst game.

In fact, I think it is a misnomer to say that this game was bad or the worst.

My point is that the first half was one of the worst I have seen, but I have learned over
the years that basketball is a 40 minute game. Our 2nd half was a very good game -
We shot 56.3% in the 2nd; we shot 50% of our 3's in the 2nd; and we outscored Tulane
by 20 points in the 2nd half. We had 5 players in double digits. We had 43 rebounds
to their 28, and we had 18 assists for the game.

Try looking at Jank's postgame interview and see what he thought of it.

By the way, I had to resort to statistics to prove my point, but I think Stallion put it
very artistically in a couple of his posts. Sheer poetry - even quoted Ronald Reagan.
The Falcon
All-American

Postby jpe747 » Thu Feb 16, 2017 6:03 am

I was always told that these are the kind of games that build "character." They (SMU as a team) must feel like they are never out of a game...they will come back and win...and they do. This is the difference between a good team and a contender for a championship. And, I agree, Stallion is right on.
jpe747
Heisman

Postby ponyte » Thu Feb 16, 2017 7:30 am

A win is a win. I'll take it and let this be a lesson learned. I listened to the radios call and it sounded like the crowd was into the game the entire second half. Great to hear the fans behind this team and having faith.
ponyte

Postby HubbaHubba » Thu Feb 16, 2017 7:38 am

Not a great but not the worst. I've been a SMU Basketball fan for decades. I recall, long ago, bring down by 20 at half and going on to lose to a mediocre Boise St team. Now let me see that was back in ....
HubbaHubba
All-American

Postby SMULaxer » Thu Feb 16, 2017 8:11 am

Don't discount what overcoming adversity does for a team.
Pay Lashlee more money
SMULaxer
Heisman

PreviousNext

Return to Basketball