PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

@Houston bigger than Cincy Game

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

@Houston bigger than Cincy Game

Postby ojaipony » Mon Feb 13, 2017 2:09 pm

I argue that the AT Houston game is bigger than the Cincy game. A loss against #11 Cincy doesn't hurt us so much (it was more about what it could do FOR us). Lose to Houston (and they want to beat us BAD and they beat us there last year and they are better this year) and we drop like a stone. I'm very worried about this game.
ojaipony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: @Houston bigger than Cincy Game

Postby skyscraper » Mon Feb 13, 2017 2:10 pm

lol at all of your comments
skyscraper

Postby PonyFan32 » Mon Feb 13, 2017 2:16 pm

Step away from the bottle. While an @Houston loss would be bad, it is not "drop like a stone" worthy.

In general, I think if we go 3-2 the rest of the way (and don't lose to Tulane), we just need to win 1 game in the conference tourney for me to feel good. Of course at this point having won 18 of 19, I would be pretty disappointed by 3-2 or worse in the last 5 games.
PonyFan32
Heisman

Postby ponyte » Mon Feb 13, 2017 2:30 pm

I don't think it is as big a game as Cincy. I do think a loss to UH is a bigger detriment. Our late season loss to UH one season kept us out of the NCAA tourney. In that regard, its a big game if we lose.
ponyte

Postby MFFL02 » Mon Feb 13, 2017 2:32 pm

It is our biggest remaining challenge of the regular season.
I miss Troy Matthews.
MFFL02
All-American

Postby ojaipony » Mon Feb 13, 2017 2:32 pm

ponyte wrote:I don't think it is as big a game as Cincy. I do think a loss to UH is a bigger detriment. Our late season loss to UH one season kept us out of the NCAA tourney. In that regard, its a big game if we lose.

Kinda what I was trying to say. Beating Cincy doesn't automatically get us in as some on here might think. We need to win all the rest and at least go to semifinals in conf tourney until I'm confident we're in. Win 'em all and the tourney and I see us as a #6 seed.
ojaipony

Postby skyscraper » Mon Feb 13, 2017 2:36 pm

Take a xanax, ojai, and enjoy the ride.
Looking forward to a strong SMU showing on Saturday by the players on the court and PF's in the stands.
skyscraper

Postby sadderbudweiser » Mon Feb 13, 2017 2:45 pm

I do think Houston on the road when they are playing well is a tougher assignment than Cincy at Moody in a feeding frenzy. But I'll second Ojai dialing up the Xanax scrip.
Party at The Wopper!
sadderbudweiser

Postby PonyLawExpress » Mon Feb 13, 2017 2:49 pm

Yeah in no way is it a bigger game. Even if we lose its a big help to get a Top 25 win. UH is the toughest game left on our schedule. We will get there best shot and they haven't lost since they last played us. They are in RPI top 60 and have a good kenpom, so not like it would be a loss that you cant explain.

It will likely be the toughest game we have left in the regular season, but we are the better/more complete team & should beat them. Just have to stop Dotson & Gray from both catching on fire. Dotson has been unbelievably hot shooting lately.
PonyLawExpress
Heisman

Postby AustinPerson » Mon Feb 13, 2017 2:55 pm

I'll be in Houston + 4. If you live in Austin, San Antonio, Dallas, or anywhere else within a four-hour drive, you have no excuse but to attend.

Especially you Austin people. Austin is a really easy drive.

And I encourage all of you to hunt down the SMU alumni who live in Houston and ensure that they attend. If they don't attend, Donald Trump will destroy them.
AustinPerson
All-American

Postby ponyboy » Mon Feb 13, 2017 2:57 pm

Thread title translation: Glad we beat Cinci but now I'm worried about a hangover loss at Houston.
ponyboy

Postby sadderbudweiser » Mon Feb 13, 2017 3:00 pm

PonyLawExpress wrote:Yeah in no way is it a bigger game. Even if we lose its a big help to get a Top 25 win. UH is the toughest game left on our schedule. We will get there best shot and they haven't lost since they last played us. They are in RPI top 60 and have a good kenpom, so not like it would be a loss that you cant explain.

It will likely be the toughest game we have left in the regular season, but we are the better/more complete team & should beat them. Just have to stop Dotson & Gray from both catching on fire. Dotson has been unbelievably hot shooting lately.

I'll be interested to see what Vegas thinks vs the Cincy line.
Party at The Wopper!
sadderbudweiser

Postby LA_Mustang » Mon Feb 13, 2017 3:02 pm

Ojai, you've got to get out of that way of thinking. Step back and think about what you're suggesting - a game against the 3rd place team is bigger than a game against the 1st place where a win will give us the conference lead. That is plain silly. I get that you're suffering from battered wife syndrome and you're still looking for ways to keep us out of the tournament. Using your logic, the Tulane game is bigger than the Cincy or UH game. Embrace winning, we're really good. We are going to win the conference and make the NCAA Tourney as a high seed. Quit being a defeatist.
SMU-12 NCAA appearances, 1 Final Four
2014-15 & 2016-17 AAC Men's Basketball Champs

LA_Mustang

Postby sadderbudweiser » Mon Feb 13, 2017 3:16 pm

LA_Mustang wrote:Ojai, you've got to get out of that way of thinking. Step back and think about what you're suggesting - a game against the 3rd place team is bigger than a game against the 1st place where a win will give us the conference lead. That is plain silly. I get that you're suffering from battered wife syndrome and you're still looking for ways to keep us out of the tournament. Using your logic, the Tulane game is bigger than the Cincy or UH game. Embrace winning, we're really good. We are going to win the conference and make the NCAA Tourney as a high seed. Quit being a defeatist.

:lol: #noPFleftbehind
Party at The Wopper!
sadderbudweiser

Postby Bergermeister » Mon Feb 13, 2017 3:17 pm

LA_Mustang wrote: Quit being a defeatist.

Good advice.
Bergermeister

Next

Return to Basketball