PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

DFW/Texas Recruits

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: DFW/Texas Recruits

Postby deucetz » Tue Feb 14, 2017 10:16 am

I think the saving grace with this upcoming class is the transfers. We will have two great experienced guards in Jimmy Whitt and Jahmal McMurray. I expect a lot from Whitt since he will have a year under his belt from learning the scheme and adjusting. Our guards will continue to thrive.

The front court is what I am worried about. We will be relying on two freshmen if Semi isn't back or we don't get a good grad transfer. It will also be nice if Leo Kontopoulos becomes serviceable. Has anyone heard anything about Leo's progress?
deucetz
Varsity
 
Posts: 380
Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2013 5:08 pm

Re: DFW/Texas Recruits

Postby PonyTime » Tue Feb 14, 2017 10:22 am

I do often wonder if our International recruiting would be better suited somewhere other than Australia. I know why we were there (the twins opened the door and we have a coach connection) - but there have to be better sources of international players.

Dallas is definitely on the map in Germany bc of Dirk (Michigan had a very good German as I recall). Seems that there are plenty of Bigs that come out of places like Angola and parts of Africa (Yannik) - but I suppose they all come through US high Schools first as some sort of clearinghouse.

I say all of this knowing absolutely nothing about international Basketball recruiting. Chime in if you have a more informed opinion on international Basketball recruiting.

EDIT: now that I read above post, know someone will chime in that Leo is from Germany
Last edited by PonyTime on Tue Feb 14, 2017 10:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Moral Victories Make Me Sick" - TR

Image
User avatar
PonyTime
Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 2545
Joined: Tue Dec 17, 2002 4:01 am
Location: The Green Elephant

Re: DFW/Texas Recruits

Postby SMUstangs22 » Tue Feb 14, 2017 10:24 am

deucetz wrote:I think the saving grace with this upcoming class is the transfers. We will have two great experienced guards in Jimmy Whitt and Jahmal McMurray. I expect a lot from Whitt since he will have a year under his belt from learning the scheme and adjusting. Our guards will continue to thrive.

The front court is what I am worried about. We will be relying on two freshmen if Semi isn't back or we don't get a good grad transfer. It will also be nice if Leo Kontopoulos becomes serviceable. Has anyone heard anything about Leo's progress?


I agree as both incoming bigs seem like more of a project to me. Hopefully the grad transfers we target can make big impacts. Would be interesting to see if we could add 2 if Semi left to help bridge the gap.
SMUstangs22
Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 2725
Joined: Mon Jan 27, 2014 5:06 pm

Re: DFW/Texas Recruits

Postby BleedSMUPride » Tue Feb 14, 2017 10:57 am

Another positive I will say is that, even if we don't get a transfer or another freshman big, Jank has proved that we can be successful with playing only 2 actual undersized Big Men (They are undersized to be playing Center). But as long as Semi doesn't leave and we could get one of the freshman big men game ready or get both to the ability to combine for 30 or minutes a game, we have the guard depth and height to be successful having one true big on the court at a time as we have done so often this year.
BleedSMUPride
Junior Varsity
 
Posts: 143
Joined: Tue Aug 12, 2014 1:27 pm

Re: DFW/Texas Recruits

Postby PonyLawExpress » Tue Feb 14, 2017 11:01 am

SMUstangs22 wrote:
deucetz wrote:I think the saving grace with this upcoming class is the transfers. We will have two great experienced guards in Jimmy Whitt and Jahmal McMurray. I expect a lot from Whitt since he will have a year under his belt from learning the scheme and adjusting. Our guards will continue to thrive.

The front court is what I am worried about. We will be relying on two freshmen if Semi isn't back or we don't get a good grad transfer. It will also be nice if Leo Kontopoulos becomes serviceable. Has anyone heard anything about Leo's progress?


I agree as both incoming bigs seem like more of a project to me. Hopefully the grad transfers we target can make big impacts. Would be interesting to see if we could add 2 if Semi left to help bridge the gap.


I think Whitt and McMurray are both high level transfers that we need to keep getting. They are guys that can stabilize/lead the back court for next 2-3 years as Douglas and Landrum develop. Douglas could be the next star guard we have. Losing Shake will hurt because he is a great player with so much talent, but we have some serious guard talent and I think we will have one more year of Shake.

The FrontCourt worries me too. The key is Semi. If Semi is back I think it will be solid. All we need from a grad-transfer is a veteran junkyard dog/garbage man who can play D and hit the glass. A poor mans Tolbert or Moore would work. I think Ray might surprise us being ready to give some solid rebounding, hustle and D minutes as a big next year.

The biggest thing for me is I want Semi to be the leader of the frontcourt next year, not some random 2 grad-transfers even if we like them and they look good (would rather slide Jarrey to the 4 and get only 1 grad transfer Big if Semi left, with our guard depth). I want Semi to teach his work ethic and attitude to our two young freshman bigs.
PonyLawExpress
All-American
 
Posts: 636
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2016 1:11 pm
Location: Dallas, TX

Re: DFW/Texas Recruits

Postby deucetz » Tue Feb 14, 2017 11:29 am

PonyLawExpress wrote:The biggest thing for me is I want Semi to be the leader of the frontcourt next year, not some random 2 grad-transfers even if we like them and they look good (would rather slide Jarrey to the 4 and get only 1 grad transfer Big if Semi left, with our guard depth). I want Semi to teach his work ethic and attitude to our two young freshman bigs.


Everrett Ray said in one of the Rivals articles, that someone posted, that he considers Semi his mentor. I hope he is able to learn Semi's work ethic as a student and athlete.

https://smu.rivals.com/news/everett-ray ... -the-books
deucetz
Varsity
 
Posts: 380
Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2013 5:08 pm

Re: DFW/Texas Recruits

Postby sadderbudweiser » Tue Feb 14, 2017 11:44 am

Regardless of how Dashawn pans out we can't classify his year as a recruiting success. However, if you count the Whitt transfer as part of it then it certainly looks better. We can refer to that group as LB's last class.

Next years four frosh signed and have stayed with Jank. Add McMurray to that and it's a pretty darn good sustainability play.

Gonzaga is a good model for us and their sustained success is something we can hope to and should be able to duplicate. The facilities are first class, fan support is solid, Dallas is a great city to be young in. We have a youthful coach who the kids can relate to.

Next we put a few in the NBA, lock in the staff as best as you can these days and......oh yeah......

replace the DJ
Party at The Wopper!
sadderbudweiser
PonyFans.com Legend
 
Posts: 4307
Joined: Mon Jan 27, 2014 6:58 am
Location: East Hampton, NY

Re: DFW/Texas Recruits

Postby ojaipony » Tue Feb 14, 2017 12:00 pm

Bring Semi back next year to mentor Ray, Chargois, and possibly another big and I love what we have for at least 3-4 more years. (surprised we aren't high up on a top 100 type kid right now).
ojaipony
PonyFans.com Super Legend
 
Posts: 7582
Joined: Tue Jun 21, 2011 5:02 pm
Location: Austin, TX

Re: DFW/Texas Recruits

Postby hoopmanx » Tue Feb 14, 2017 2:37 pm

We're gonna get another big and as of now, neither Semi or Shake are leaving. Declaring yes, leaving no. This is life in the bigs. I don't worry about next year at all. Both Ray and Chargois are good pickups. Both will be serviceable early. Top 15 next year too. Jank plays frosh if they're ready.
User avatar
hoopmanx
PonyFans.com Legend
 
Posts: 4753
Joined: Sat Sep 25, 2010 8:36 am

Re: DFW/Texas Recruits

Postby sadderbudweiser » Tue Feb 14, 2017 3:12 pm

This year was a good lesson for learning to manage expectations on freshman. We had tweetzilla coming in and Winnie the Pooh leaving.
Party at The Wopper!
sadderbudweiser
PonyFans.com Legend
 
Posts: 4307
Joined: Mon Jan 27, 2014 6:58 am
Location: East Hampton, NY

Re: DFW/Texas Recruits

Postby SMUstangs22 » Tue Feb 14, 2017 3:48 pm

I think in general it is a good lesson for me. I am worrying about this program 2 years from now. I guess that is always a concern when being a top 25 program.
SMUstangs22
Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 2725
Joined: Mon Jan 27, 2014 5:06 pm

Re: DFW/Texas Recruits

Postby smusic 00 » Tue Feb 14, 2017 3:49 pm

sadderbudweiser wrote:This year was a good lesson for learning to manage expectations on freshman. We had tweetzilla coming in and Winnie the Pooh leaving.


Hahaha [FACE WITH TEARS OF JOY]
User avatar
smusic 00
PonyFans.com Super Legend
 
Posts: 6547
Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2008 12:15 pm
Location: Downtown

Re: DFW/Texas Recruits

Postby papawasamustang » Wed Feb 15, 2017 12:21 pm

One possible grad transfer has local roots, Zach LeDay @ Virginia Tech, is from Dallas/The Colony.
Couple more to keep an eye on are Erik McCree @ LaTech & Stefan Janicovic @ Hawaii.
Really like McCree.
There are really only two plays: Romeo and Juliet, and put the darn ball in the basket.” Abe Lemons
papawasamustang
Heisman
 
Posts: 1711
Joined: Fri Oct 05, 2007 12:57 pm

Re: DFW/Texas Recruits

Postby kc711 » Wed Feb 15, 2017 12:48 pm

papawasamustang wrote:One possible grad transfer has local roots, Zach LeDay @ Virginia Tech, is from Dallas/The Colony.
Couple more to keep an eye on are Erik McCree @ LaTech & Stefan Janicovic @ Hawaii.
Really like McCree.


Zach Leday will use up all his eligibility this season. So not a grad transfer candidate.

http://www.hokiesports.com/mbasketball/ ... _zach.html
kc711
Newbie
 
Posts: 20
Joined: Wed Nov 16, 2016 1:13 pm

Re: DFW/Texas Recruits

Postby deucetz » Wed Feb 15, 2017 12:53 pm

I hope the grad transfer is taller than 6'9 unless they are a rebound machine and has the heart of Tolbert
deucetz
Varsity
 
Posts: 380
Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2013 5:08 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Basketball

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 13 guests