PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Jank to....

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Jank to....

Postby PonyLawExpress » Fri Feb 24, 2017 12:35 am

I'll just leave this here (they did these for several coaches including Jank):

http://www.backingthepack.com/2017/2/21 ... -candidate

Towards the end:
Would he take the job if offered?

Probably not. Damn, I spent all this time on this for nothing. Despite the fact that he’s not a 40 or even 30-something, Jankovich should be a hot commodity for high-major schools coach shopping this offseason. An Indiana native who has spent nearly his entire career in flyover country probably has his sights sets on a Big 10 or Big 12 job. Maybe he returns to K-State, his alma mater, after we hire Bruce Weber! (I kid, I kid.)

Indiana, Ohio State, Oklahoma…those would probably be Jank’s dream jobs if he is even job hunting, and he may well have a shot at all of the above.

Still don't think Jank is going anywhere. SMU is a good job and he likes it here. Article even has a quip about Jank could take Semi with him as a grad-transfer (fat chance), article kind pisses me off. This guy doesn't seem to really have any idea besides googling stuff. Probably hurts them to think we are way more relevant than them the past few years despite them being in the ACC to be Duke and UNC's whipping boy.
PonyLawExpress
Heisman

Postby Pony_Law » Fri Feb 24, 2017 1:01 am

Only schools I'd really worry aboust is Kansas state and Indiana. Kstat because of his alumni status and Indiana because it makes you famous if you make it work.
Pony_Law
Hall of Famer

Postby PonyLawExpress » Fri Feb 24, 2017 1:18 am

Pony_Law wrote:Only schools I'd really worry aboust is Kansas state and Indiana. Kstat because of his alumni status and Indiana because it makes you famous if you make it work.

I would agree with that. I don't think IU would come after him after only 1 year as HC at SMU unless we went to the Final Four or something and still there is the knock these a LB's players. KSU is really only worry, because Alum factor is always a big one, but I just don't see him leaving after one season. I think he really wants to stick it out here and is in a good spot. Also, got to remember he is 57 much more likely to want to settle down that a 45 year old coach.
PonyLawExpress
Heisman

Postby PonySnob » Fri Feb 24, 2017 6:29 am

Rumblings down in Austin that Shaka will be on the hot seat next season.........
Peruna is my mascot!
PonySnob
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby hoopmanx » Fri Feb 24, 2017 9:54 am

Bottom line, we took a lot of money off the table when LB stepped down. Just need to add it back in and equal the length of Chad's deal. You can't give the snake oil salesman that sort of deal, signed or not, while the program that's made you nationally relevant takes cuts. That's a bad look. Unless you proactively approach now, say you want to work an extension plus more money, he's going to listen to P5s. Yes, he is happy here, as is his wife, but wives of coaches know the deal when they say 'I do.'

Don't wait until we make a deep run or it gets really hairy!
hoopmanx
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby mrydel » Fri Feb 24, 2017 9:58 am

I agree. Pay him whatever it takes.
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

Postby PonyLawExpress » Fri Feb 24, 2017 10:04 am

hoopmanx wrote:Bottom line, we took a lot of money off the table when LB stepped down. Just need to add it back in and equal the length of Chad's deal. You can't give the snake oil salesman that sort of deal, signed or not, while the program that's made you nationally relevant takes cuts. That's a bad look. Unless you proactively approach now, say you want to work an extension plus more money, he's going to listen to P5s. Yes, he is happy here, as is his wife, but wives of coaches know the deal when they say 'I do.'

Don't wait until we make a deep run or it gets really hairy!

Do you think we do at the end of the season before the tourney? I think he wants to stay just as hoop says give him the money where he doesn't even think about leaving.
PonyLawExpress
Heisman

Postby SMUstangs22 » Fri Feb 24, 2017 10:09 am

Being proactive after a 1 yeae sample worked well for UCONN
SMUstangs22
Hall of Famer

Postby deucetz » Fri Feb 24, 2017 10:15 am

SMUstangs22 wrote:Being proactive after a 1 yeae sample worked well for UCONN

It was actually two. And Ollie got them a National Championship. If Jank gets a national championship after a year, I think the university would be find with him sucking for 10 years.
deucetz
All-American

Postby mrydel » Fri Feb 24, 2017 10:20 am

We'll be prepared because if we were to lose Sterling, Ben, Semi, and Shake, I would expect a little drop off no matter who is coaching.
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

Postby hoopmanx » Fri Feb 24, 2017 10:40 am

SMUstangs22 wrote:Being proactive after a 1 yeae sample worked well for UCONN

Ollie never had a head gig prior to being named UConn coach, Jank has and was doing very well at Ill St. Heck, if no Dougie Mcbuckets, he goes to 2 tournaments in a row, w/league titles. Those games were war, 3 OTs, if I remember. Also, Jank built this program w/the acquisition of Nic Moore.

How we've played this year has nothing to do w/extending him, IMO. All of us who follow religiously, knew we'd be good. I just thought we'd dominate from day 1, not be 4-3 etc. All that said, it's what he did behind the scenes that deserves the extension/raise. His staff juggling, hiring from within, grabbing Forrest as his Texas sniper, moving Hobbie down, moving up Duncs and Stout etc. Meanwhile, added his own Ill St flavor w/new grad assistant. Then, that 4 man class out of nowhere. Adding traps/presses, more 3s etc.

I NEVER say this, but I'm hard pressed to find a thing he's done wrong since before coaching LBs suspension. He was a pretty accomplished head guy and then he learned from Brown for 5 years.
hoopmanx
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby HTXPonyUp » Fri Feb 24, 2017 10:43 am

PonySnob wrote:Rumblings down in Austin that Shaka will be on the hot seat next season.........

Took them long enough to heat up that seat. Top recruiting classes yearly and they're not even contending in the Big XII.
HTXPonyUp
Scout Team

Postby Pony_Law » Fri Feb 24, 2017 11:05 am

mrydel wrote:We'll be prepared because if we were to lose Sterling, Ben, Semi, and Shake, I would expect a little drop off no matter who is coaching.

If we lose all 4 we are going to be mediocre to poor as it will be a rebuild with like only 9 scholarship players (5 of which are new to the team).
Pony_Law
Hall of Famer

Postby hoopmanx » Fri Feb 24, 2017 11:06 am

I've been critical of Shaka since VCU, if only b/c I have no earthly idea why he was perceived a messiah when Capel and Grant were just as successful, minus a postseason run. That's like giving Jank all the credit if we run this year, when LB helped build this biznitch.

That said, I'm a Terp too and I learned a big basketball life lesson watching late 90s Terp teams, in some cases w/just as much talent as Duke, try to press them all over the court. What happened was easy lay-ups and uncontested 3s. VCUs style worked in a league who didnt have the same caliber of talent/athlete. Then, when they'd hit the tourney, they were the first team most P5s had seen, in some cases all year, that pressed end to end for 40 minutes. Shock value won them games in March. I dont know if that style works in the bigs, night in and night out. I guess we'll see, when he gets his own players. He couldnt have inherited a roster more unlike what he actually needed to run that system.
hoopmanx
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Pony_Law » Fri Feb 24, 2017 11:08 am

Texas' problem this year is they just can't shoot. I don't know if I've seen a more inconsistent shooting team. Also I'm starting to think there is a culture at UT regarding the athletic program that simply stunts athletes as they come in. The amount of raw talent that have come into both the FB and BB teams should produce better results.
Pony_Law
Hall of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to Basketball