PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Refs deserve to be torched

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Refs deserve to be torched

Postby SmooBoy » Sat Feb 18, 2017 8:32 pm

Ticky tack fouls, missed calls, zero flow. Both coaches should be pi$$ed about atrocious officiating.

Awful.
SmooBoy
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: Refs deserve to be torched

Postby gostangs » Sat Feb 18, 2017 8:35 pm

torched seems a bit excessive, but certainly sternly reprimanded. Maybe time out in the corner is in order also.
gostangs

Postby blackoutpony » Sat Feb 18, 2017 8:37 pm

They should never ref a D1 game again. That was pathetic and painful to watch.

Both teams got hosed.
BOP - Providing insensitivity training for a politically correct world since 1989.
blackoutpony
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby SMU_Alum11 » Sat Feb 18, 2017 8:40 pm

Refs have no reason to be in the collegiate space maybe not even the high school realm. It just became which team didn't want to foul anymore.
Insert "this is fine" GIF
SMU_Alum11
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby DanFreibergerForHeisman » Sat Feb 18, 2017 8:41 pm

A terribly officiated game both ways. With our lack of depth we are very fortunate it didn't hurt us more than it did.

We certainly adjusted to it better. Sampson is a joke he needs to learn to control himself cuz his team lost control just like he did at times.
Shake It Off Moody
DanFreibergerForHeisman

Postby gostangs » Sat Feb 18, 2017 8:42 pm

yeah - Sampson did not respond well. He has no "cool" which is an issue in a head coach.
gostangs

Postby No Quarter » Sat Feb 18, 2017 9:05 pm

If SMU adjusted betterto the game as called that's more praise for Jank, right? So far as coach Sampson is concerned the Houston boosters need to make certain he always carries a bottle of nitro tablets.
No Quarter
Heisman

Postby ponyscott » Sun Feb 19, 2017 8:45 am

At least they were consistent....consistently bad.
ponyscott

Postby sadderbudweiser » Sun Feb 19, 2017 8:51 am

I agree on all accounts.

Those bozos shouldn't be working grade school games.

And kudos to Jank for managing the situation way better than Sampson.

Our guys never lost their cool and the zone was very effective when used.
Party at The Wopper!
sadderbudweiser

Postby SMUstang07 » Sun Feb 19, 2017 8:54 am

Jank was fantastic in this sense. We were getting hammered by the refs for the first 25 min of the game and he got in their ear but avoided getting T'd up (seemed like it was very close). Things trended our way before evening out down the stretch. Poorly officiated for sure last night.
SMUstang07
Varsity

Postby PoconoPony » Sun Feb 19, 2017 10:08 am

I have officiated basketball at a modest level and I must say that it is one of the most difficult thing I have ever tried. Everything is so fast and so much depends on the angles in which you see things. The slightest miss-positioning on the floor and you miss much. Things like the conditioning level of the official can have impact particularly late in games. I agree; however, that consistency is needed in any game regardless of how the game is played. Let them be aggressive and lay off the whistle and/or call it close from the beginning and let the teams adjust early on. Last night was a real bad night for the officials as they had no consistency. Tough to watch a game like last night as you never knew what might happen and with a one man bench SMU was always on the brink of impending disaster.
PoconoPony
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby mustangxc » Sun Feb 19, 2017 10:39 am

The refs were blowing the whistle way too much the entire game. I agree that the first 25-30 minutes it was to SMU's detriment and the last 10-15 minutes it was to Houston's detriment. I actually told Coach Jankovich after the game that I saw him talking to the refs during a timeout in the second half and from that point on it seemed to me that the bad calls against SMU definitely subsided. I think he did an excellent job in keeping the team poised throughout the first half in not letting the game get away from them, in making adjustments to deal with Houston, and in managing the refs. We are lucky to have him. Now we just need to make sure we are recruiting the right players to sustain this level of success. Time will tell.
mustangxc

Postby Stallion » Sun Feb 19, 2017 12:30 pm

This is what I've been saying all year-I really don't care too much if an official misses a few calls against SMU-that won't beat us-what we don't want to see is an aggressive ref like last nite-we were fortunate not to go deep into the bench. We lost Shake but Emelogu stepped up with one of his best games
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby giacfsp » Sun Feb 19, 2017 2:12 pm

Is this an AAC issue, or an issue throughout college hoops?
I can't think of an SMU game this year when I thought the officials stole a game from one team or the other, but they have been consistently horrible this year. Not sure how coaches on either side haven't rung up a bunch of technical fouls.
giacfsp
Heisman

Postby sadderbudweiser » Mon Feb 20, 2017 1:21 am

giacfsp wrote:Is this an AAC issue, or an issue throughout college hoops?
I can't think of an SMU game this year when I thought the officials stole a game from one team or the other, but they have been consistently horrible this year. Not sure how coaches on either side haven't rung up a bunch of technical fouls.

battered coach syndrome
Party at The Wopper!
sadderbudweiser

Next

Return to Basketball