PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Dashawn McDowell Ready??

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Dashawn McDowell Ready??

Postby Stallion » Mon Feb 20, 2017 9:38 pm

There's not even much evidence yet that he's a poor shooter from the field-he's hitting 44% from the field and 50% from the 3 point line. Not enough evidence? Sure-Wilfong is a 28% shooter over last 2 years. His biggest problem is that he has proven he can drive the lane and draws fouls-but then he can't hit his FTs

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basket ... n-mcdowell
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Junior » Mon Feb 20, 2017 9:48 pm

gostangs wrote:his basketball IQ is fine. He doesn't shoot all that well when he has to make his own shot. Otherwise he will be fine. You cant give up early on a guy that is that athletic (see Ryan Manuel)

He's no Ryan Manuel. End of story. Gu is our current day Ryan Manuel.
Derail the Frogs!
Junior

Postby PonyLawExpress » Mon Feb 20, 2017 9:49 pm

Stallion wrote:There's not even much evidence yet that he's a poor shooter from the field-he's hitting 44% from the field and 50% from the 3 point line. Not enough evidence? Sure-Wilfong is a 28% shooter over last 2 years. His biggest problem is that he has proven he can drive the lane and draws fouls-but then he can't hit his FTs

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basket ... n-mcdowell

FT shooting is a good indicator, but not always. His FT shooting is really poor though, like its hard to be 11-27 from the line. Im not a expert evaluator, but played enough basketball growing up and have watched enough to watch him pregame and see he doesnt have a very good shot yet. Also, he doesnt have any confidence in his shot. And finally and most importantly I've read and been told several times he is by far the worst shooter of any of the guards we got (including Gu).
PonyLawExpress
Heisman

Postby SMUstangs22 » Mon Feb 20, 2017 9:56 pm

Think it is telling he isnt playing
Last edited by SMUstangs22 on Mon Feb 20, 2017 10:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
SMUstangs22
Hall of Famer

Postby PonyPlayer4 » Mon Feb 20, 2017 9:57 pm

gostangs wrote:his basketball IQ is fine. He doesn't shoot all that well when he has to make his own shot. Otherwise he will be fine. You cant give up early on a guy that is that athletic (see Ryan Manuel)

Is he really all that athletic? I'm not sure I have seen him do anything nearly as athletic as Manuel, or anyone else on the current team.
PonyPlayer4
Hall of Famer

Postby gostangs » Mon Feb 20, 2017 10:28 pm

He is faster with the ball than anyone else on the team and plays great defense. He is a great jumper (not jump shot - just jumper). He is a bit spastic, and because he is a FRESHMAN he has a ways to go.

Im not saying he is the end all - but he is plenty good enough to stay with the team and will contribute down the road. Ryan looked lost as a freshman also much of the time.
gostangs

Postby smusic 00 » Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:04 pm

Jank mentioned tonight that now that DMcD is healthy he has 7 players. Sounds like they were being very cautious with him.
smusic 00

Postby East Coast Mustang » Tue Feb 21, 2017 1:03 am

I like how Stallion touts his 50% 3pt percentage...uh, he's 2-for-4 on the year. Might need a little bigger sample size there
2005 PonyFans.com Rookie of the Year Award Recipient
East Coast Mustang

Postby sadderbudweiser » Tue Feb 21, 2017 3:10 am

smusic 00 wrote:Jank mentioned tonight that now that DMcD is healthy he has 7 players. Sounds like they were being very cautious with him.

Said this before but worth saying again: he got HAMMERED.

That knee went right to the temple. I'm amazed he didnt go out cold.
Party at The Wopper!
sadderbudweiser

Postby Grant Carter » Tue Feb 21, 2017 6:40 am

East Coast Mustang wrote:I like how Stallion touts his 50% 3pt percentage...uh, he's 2-for-4 on the year. Might need a little bigger sample size there

His point was that that small sample size could mean there is not enough evidence he is a good shooter.
Grant Carter
Hall of Famer

Postby mrydel » Tue Feb 21, 2017 7:16 am

I am so glad we found another player to degrade since Gu picked up his game. I was worried for a while.
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

Postby Whitwiki Pony » Tue Feb 21, 2017 7:16 am

His free throw percentage is all you need to know about his ability to shoot.
Whitwiki Pony
Scout Team

Dashawn McDowell Ready??

Postby Whitwiki Pony » Tue Feb 21, 2017 7:17 am

Hell just watch how he shoots my 2 year old girl has better mechanics
Whitwiki Pony
Scout Team

Postby deucetz » Tue Feb 21, 2017 8:46 am

Yeah, let's go in on a freshman. Y'all alums are real mature.

Does Dashawn needs to work on his game? I think we can all agree he can improve. The issue is more about our depth. We have no room for mistakes, in order to win. If you want to go in on anyone, go in on the adults that brought on the sanctions.

I wish there were blogs/social media around when y'all were young, going in on y'all when you got a bad grade your freshman year, that stated how much y'all suck. Grow up. Y'all sound like brats. Let the kid grow and be happy he is working hard for your University, and people wonder why they say that athletes are employees.
deucetz
All-American

Postby PonyLawExpress » Tue Feb 21, 2017 9:29 am

deucetz wrote:Yeah, let's go in on a freshman. Y'all alums are real mature.

Does Dashawn needs to work on his game? I think we can all agree he can improve. The issue is more about our depth. We have no room for mistakes, in order to win. If you want to go in on anyone, go in on the adults that brought on the sanctions.

I wish there were blogs/social media around when y'all were young, going in on y'all when you got a bad grade your freshman year, that stated how much y'all suck. Grow up. Y'all sound like brats. Let the kid grow and be happy he is working hard for your University, and people wonder why they say that athletes are employees.

Buddy settle down. I for one never said he sucked or am rubbing it in. Just he doesn't have a great shot and needs work. And news flash in AAU hoops and is HS people talk about you if you're good or not good. They tell you what you are bad at and need to work on & they scout you hell there are even recruiting websites with strengths and weaknesses. This isn't a 4th grader that needs protecting. This is a basketball message board for college kids. Should people be saying he is SOO bad, lets get rid of him, etc probably not. But not like they are tweeting him bad things. This is like every message board in the country if you don't like it don't comment, but nothing out of hand is going on here so let's slow down with the lets be ashamed of ourselves.

Now I agree lets not go overboard bashing a good college kid and maybe we could reign it in a little, but to say he needs work and his shot isn't very good right now isn't harsh or a stretch. I was told much worse at times in HS.
Last edited by PonyLawExpress on Tue Feb 21, 2017 9:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
PonyLawExpress
Heisman

PreviousNext

Return to Basketball