PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Dashawn McDowell Ready??

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Dashawn McDowell Ready??

Postby hoopmanx » Tue Feb 21, 2017 9:34 am

One thing I love is how new recruits automatically bench returning players, despite being no more sought after on the circuit, but a year later. For example, I really like Landrum as a talent down the road, but he's just not a day 1 contributor at SMU unless we get hammered by attrition or injury. None of our incoming frosh guards see huge minutes and certainly don't automatically move up the bench, ahead of McDowell. They might, but it's no given and probably doubtful.

If McDowell wants to work, which he does, and keeps his nose clean, no reason he doesn't play a major role as junior/senior. We're a damn good program that is about to run deep w quality depth. No shame in not getting huge burn, especially on rosters that actually include seniors.

Also, no way his basketball IQ is low, IMO. Hes a smart kid that can really pass and does grunt work. He could really help w/the loss of Sterling, imo. Move him to the 3, take advantage of his size and tell him he's a junkyard dog. All D, all boards. facilitate on O, shoot when open.
hoopmanx
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby PonyLawExpress » Tue Feb 21, 2017 9:42 am

hoopmanx wrote:One thing I love is how new recruits automatically bench returning players, despite being no more sought after on the circuit, but a year later. For example, I really like Landrum as a talent down the road, but he's just not a day 1 contributor at SMU unless we get hammered by attrition or injury. None of our incoming frosh guards see huge minutes and certainly don't automatically move up the bench, ahead of McDowell. They might, but it's no given and probably doubtful.

If McDowell wants to work, which he does, and keeps his nose clean, no reason he doesn't play a major role as junior/senior. We're a damn good program that is about to run deep w quality depth. No shame in not getting huge burn, especially on rosters that actually include seniors.

Also, no way his basketball IQ is low, IMO. Hes a smart kid that can really pass and does grunt work. He could really help w/the loss of Sterling, imo. Move him to the 3, take advantage of his size and tell him he's a junkyard dog. All D, all boards. facilitate on O, shoot when open.

As usual I agree with just about everything you said. I agree, As I said earlier, no reason to think he won't be a contributor as a junior and senior, if he wants to stay and work hard He has good size, plays D, and is quick. I think Douglas could surpass McDowell, Douglas seems more polished and more sought after, but obviously no way to know until next year. There will likely be 5 guards/wings ahead of those two though if we don't have any attrition (Shake)
PonyLawExpress
Heisman

Postby BleedSMUPride » Tue Feb 21, 2017 9:49 am

I think McDowell is a little similar to Jarrey from Freshman year. Jarrey was thrust into a lot of minutes last year and he was very athletic but didn't have a very good jump shot and struggled with his positioning, which is understandable for a freshman. I don't think McDowell is at Jarrey's level, but look how far he came with just one summer of working with Jank and our team. Now its tough to find things Jarrey doesn't do well on a consistent basis. McDowell may not make the same stride that Jarrey did from one summer, but I trust our coaches to do a lot with him this summer and next year to put him in a position to contribute to our team in some aspect of the game.
BleedSMUPride
Junior Varsity

Postby PonyTime » Tue Feb 21, 2017 9:52 am

mrydel wrote:I am so glad we found another player to degrade since Gu picked up his game. I was worried for a while.

My thought exactly. The dude has been forced to sit out and then the coach decided to sit him one more game if he could so that there would be an additional week before next game. That's it. Chill people. McDowell is probably pretty antsy to get back out there. Look our UCONN!
"Moral Victories Make Me Sick" - TR

PonyTime
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Arkpony » Tue Feb 21, 2017 11:16 am

As usual, Mrydel is right on. I love Deshawn and really root for him to excell. His quickness is evident and he will be a prized player before its ended.
Long live Inez Perez!
Arkpony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby TidePony » Tue Feb 21, 2017 11:35 am

Wow!!! This^^^
TidePony
Hall of Famer

Postby FIVE-O-FAN » Tue Feb 21, 2017 12:13 pm

If your complaint is that a freshman plays like a freshman at times then you're reaching. I like the kid. He's athletic and I've seen nothing to make me believe he won't be a future contributor on a good basketball team.
FIVE-O-FAN
All-American

Postby Stallion » Tue Feb 21, 2017 12:26 pm

This has been a bad year for posters who go out on a limb and pronounce a player a bust too early in the season
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby hoopmanx » Tue Feb 21, 2017 12:49 pm

No doubt. From the Shake isn't a PG crew, to Ben E should be let go as a grad transfer, all the way to Fro isn't a D1 kid, now Dashawn. Attrition is likely, but nobody is imminent. I know the staff doesn't like not having an '18 ship, but they also aren't second guessing loading up.
hoopmanx
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby sadderbudweiser » Tue Feb 21, 2017 1:03 pm

Think for a minute how we happened to inherit Semi....buried deep on the Duke bench.

I wonder if he was getting slammed on the Duke message boards?

And, frankly: can we PLEASE get to the point where we have that kind of problem?

Some of you guys are absolutely brutal...not just in player evaluation but in abandoning ship and finding scapegoats 10 minutes into a game. Yeesh!!
Party at The Wopper!
sadderbudweiser

Postby TidePony » Tue Feb 21, 2017 1:24 pm

Preach it Sadderbudweiser!
TidePony
Hall of Famer

Postby indianmustang » Tue Feb 21, 2017 1:43 pm

So who is next Duke player to transfer to us
Mustang from India
indianmustang

Postby Pony_Law » Tue Feb 21, 2017 1:43 pm

SMU should always be in the mix for high quality Texas, OK, and KS players that get lost at higher programs. It is another inherent strength that we can be the 2nd landing spot for people like that.
Pony_Law
Hall of Famer

Postby hoopmanx » Tue Feb 21, 2017 2:28 pm

Count me in as not wanting castoffs from other Texas programs. We've been the best program in the state, 5 years running. No need for Schwag when you have a bag of nug
hoopmanx
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby PonyLawExpress » Tue Feb 21, 2017 2:33 pm

Pony_Law wrote:SMU should always be in the mix for high quality Texas, OK, and KS players that get lost at higher programs. It is another inherent strength that we can be the 2nd landing spot for people like that.

I love getting Top 100 guys who got buried at another program or didnt like/get the PT they were wanting as a frosh. Should be the type of transfer we are going for (Semi's and Whitt's). Obviously if the guy has been successful like McMurray, Tolbert or Nic you take those as well. Would love if we took a transfer every year, which it seems like just about have.

And Hoop I think as of now if we add a grad transfer to take us to 12 scholarship players next year (17-18), so have no attrition other than Moore and Sterling, we will have 1 2018 scholarship to give since we would lose 3 players (Semi, Gu, and Grad Transfer) to graduation after (17-18 season), not including potentially losing Shake. So those 3 graduating would take us to 9 scholarships and we could have 10 scholarship players in 18-19 if we have 12 in 17-18.
Last edited by PonyLawExpress on Tue Feb 21, 2017 2:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PonyLawExpress
Heisman

PreviousNext

Return to Basketball