PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Where are all those...

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Where are all those...

Postby SMUstangs22 » Tue Feb 21, 2017 6:59 pm

I'll wait to call us a program until I see it continue past LB recruits/transfers. I am very hopeful though
SMUstangs22
Hall of Famer

Postby SMUstangs22 » Tue Feb 21, 2017 7:07 pm

sadderbudweiser wrote:
skyscraper wrote:Didn't realize people were still mentioning it after 4-3... yikes.

Hah! Dig up some of the threads after The USC/BOISE road trip.
Pretty scary.

To be fair there was reason to be concerned. Jnks adjustments and ability to admit the need for them were great
SMUstangs22
Hall of Famer

Postby Topper » Tue Feb 21, 2017 7:22 pm

I would argue that the correct legal strategy would have been to try to enjoin the NCAA from enforcing the playoff ban AFTER it had been imposed. Not an injunction to DELAY the ban. We might have wound up in the playoffs both seasons. You never know what a friendly Dallas judge might have ordered until asked.
Topper
Hall of Famer

Postby mustangxc » Tue Feb 21, 2017 7:29 pm

I think it was Rebel10 who said it enough times for it to seem as if most of ponyfans wanted that.
mustangxc
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby hoopmanx » Tue Feb 21, 2017 8:03 pm

For Rebel10s egregious stance on this topic, can we ban his oversized, West Virgina style signature?
hoopmanx
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby blackoutpony » Tue Feb 21, 2017 8:16 pm

:roll:
BOP - Providing insensitivity training for a politically correct world since 1989.
blackoutpony
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby SMUstangs22 » Tue Feb 21, 2017 8:23 pm

hoopmanx wrote:For Rebel10s egregious stance on this topic, can we ban his oversized, West Virgina style signature?

Only if he collapsed during his complaints and then got up and kept complaining
SMUstangs22
Hall of Famer

Postby gostangs » Tue Feb 21, 2017 8:36 pm

As i recall LB did not want to appeal. So not appealing did not change anything in that department. Also not sure him staying was best for this program. He left because he wanted a no cut contract even if we get on probation again - which was a non starter and rightfully so.

also - appealing would have been great for last years seniors - so aren't you just trading a good thing for this years at last years seniors expense?

To me the most compelling reason is what hoop has already mentioned - you get it over with, and you can then go get recruits. We would not have had the success with recruiting had the probation lingered another year. And now it FEELS like a program. Hope that is the case. Semi coming back would sure make it feel more like one.
gostangs

Postby W(B)estCoastMustang » Tue Feb 21, 2017 9:45 pm

Not advocating that we should have appealed, but don't forget Semi would in all likelihood have played second semester if we had. Could you imagine the damage we could've done in the tournament with Nic, Sterling/Shake, Semi, Ben, and Jordan with Markus, Shake/Sterling and Jarrey coming off the bench?
W(B)estCoastMustang

Postby lollaperuna » Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:08 pm

I recall my initial reaction was to appeal, but then agreeing that we should take our poison and move on.

Having said that, I think our past sins have us rolling over when everyone else fights. The NCAA is a bunch of hypocrites that only punishes the little guy and that pisses me off.
lollaperuna
All-American

Postby Stallion » Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:16 pm

If you wanted the best route to have a chance to maintain the program at a nationally competitive level it was a no-brainer
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby mrydel » Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:18 pm

All I know is that if I am a good BB player and planning to get playing time my freshman year because I am good, I am not going to a school that will not be eligible for the post season. Why should I? Recruiting would have bottomed out and with the Brown effect gone recovery would have been difficult.
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

Postby SMUstangs22 » Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:29 pm

Just for fun, what would this class have looked like had we appealed??
SMUstangs22
Hall of Famer

Postby Stallion » Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:35 pm

They all had other great options

So did all of our Seniors including Semi (4th year) who could have transferred immediately due to NCAA rule that allows transfer if you miss your last year of eligibility for the Tournament. Glad our university isn't lead by incompetents anymore. They made the correct choice
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby mustangxc » Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:42 pm

Agreed, the right question is not what our recruiting class would have looked like, but what our roster would have looked like. In the end our recruiting class ended up being the same thanks to the loss of the Aussies, but who knows what players would have stayed with the postseason ban looming.
mustangxc

PreviousNext

Return to Basketball