PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Slightly OT: What good OOC games will be in Moody next year?

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Slightly OT: What good OOC games will be in Moody next y

Postby DanFreibergerForHeisman » Thu Mar 02, 2017 2:04 pm

LA_Mustang wrote:One more thing, since the opening of renovated Moody, I don't think we have hosted an OOC ranked team. Arkansas might have been #25 in 2014, or maybe just receiving votes. And I'm pretty sure the Zags were unranked when they visited last season. Can you imagine the hype and environment at Moody if a highly ranked Kansas, Arizona, Kentucky or my gawd Duke came to Moody?

Correct. Arkansas was 25 but that is it.
Shake It Off Moody
DanFreibergerForHeisman
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby DiamondM » Thu Mar 02, 2017 2:43 pm

Not for lack of trying. We've scheduled Michigan, Stanford, Gonzaga. It's not our fault that they're not ranked when the come.

I don't think perennially good high major programs will schedule us because they have enough potential good wins on their schedules already. But mid-level teams likely to end up at 9-7 or worse in conference, or high mid-major teams, do have something to gain by scheduling us. We are a good win, and, importantly, no longer a bad loss, and with the committee now rewarding true road wins there ought to be some teams interested in making a trip to the fertile recruiting ground that is Dallas with a potentially good pay off with a win, and not a huge downside if they lose.
DiamondM
Heisman

Postby Pony_Law » Thu Mar 02, 2017 4:06 pm

LA_Mustang wrote:The top half of the AAC against the top half of the PAC 12 would be very interesting:

SMU vs. Arizona
Cincy vs. UCLA
UH vs. Utah
UConn vs. USC
Temple/UCF vs. Colorado

No Oregon in that mix?
Pony_Law
Hall of Famer

Postby LA_Mustang » Thu Mar 02, 2017 4:10 pm

Yeah, I knew I was leaving out a good team. Oregon over Colorado.
SMU-12 NCAA appearances, 1 Final Four
2014-15 & 2016-17 AAC Men's Basketball Champs

LA_Mustang

Postby PonyLawExpress » Thu Mar 02, 2017 4:20 pm

I don't get why we dont play more SEC or B12 schools. (Maybe they don't want to do a H-H idk)

I like our current setup playing TCU, in a good OOC tourney (2K or Battle for Atlantis), and playing a USC/Stanford/Gonzaga, etc, but we should also try to add 1-2 B12 or SEC games a year. Much closer geographically and we seem to recruit alot in that territory. Might be hard to get UK, UT, BU, KU, etc to wanna play us, but don't see why we couldn't get Vandy, Ole Miss, Arky, Tennessee, Alabama, or OSU, KSU, or OU to play us.

Most casual fans would come and pack out Moody in OOC much more likely for Bama or KSU than Boise St even though Boise is at least as highly ranked.
PonyLawExpress
Heisman

Postby Junior » Sat Mar 04, 2017 9:37 pm

They don't want to play us. They gain nothing overall in their eyes by beating poor old SMU, but stand to lose a ton by getting smoked by us.
Derail the Frogs!
Junior

Previous

Return to Basketball