PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Favorite Senior Moment

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Favorite Senior Moment

Postby Caballo » Fri Mar 03, 2017 12:35 pm

No, this is not about mrydel getting that extra fish filet for free on the Lu Ann Platter at Luby's in Little Rock last August.

I wanted to start a thread to honor our three Seniors with everyone's favorite moment of watching them.

Ben Moore: The game where the kid sitting courtside spilled his soda onto the court. He had a look of sheer terror on his face when the ref stopped the game. I recall the game being at an intense moment which made it more of a spectacle. Ben ran and grabbed a towel to clean up the soda. The look on the kid's face was priceless as Ben was bent over mopping up the soda, and then gave the kid a high five as he ran off to rejoin the game. Totally diffused the situation as the crowd laughed and cheered the act of kindness. Ben always seems to be in control of the moment, on and off the court.

Sterling Brown: The Cincinnati game last year. Big game in Moody with Cincy. Early in the game Sterling was ejected, which left us short of players to take on the physical Bearcats. He was visibly upset at being thrown out and probably felt he had let the team down. We played basically a six man rotation all night and was wearing down at the end. We were down by 7 or 9 as I recall with a couple of minutes left to play. The Ponies broke the huddle looking very dejected. Moody Magic roared to life as the crowd stood and cheered the team, lifting them up. We come back from certain defeat and win in the waning seconds.

As the game ended, Sterling came bolting out of the locker room with an ear to ear grin to jump into the celebration pile. He had to be the most relieved person in Moody. I recall a post game comment by Nic that the team had to come back and win the game for Sterling. Sterling never backed down from anyone on the court. He has been the grit and swagger on the team the last four years.

Jonathan Wilfong: Tie: Last night when he took off his warm-up to come into the game earlier than usual, he pulls off his jersey inside the warm-up and throws it behind the bench. The equipment guy has to retrieve it so Wilfong can put his jersey back on before checking in.

And, when he is playing mop up duty late in a game, steals the ball on the defensive end and takes it in for a dunk. (That has to be shown tomorrow!) The bench went crazy. The game ended shortly after and the starters mobbed him on the floor. Jonathan is a crowd favorite because he plays hard when he is in the game. We rejoice in his successes and root for him to succeed.

My family and I have enjoyed the ride with these guys. They have been an inspiration to my teenage son, and role models for him to emulate. We are blessed that they are part of our Mustang Family.

Pony Up!
Caballo
All-American

Re: Favorite Senior Moment

Postby Pony ^ » Fri Mar 03, 2017 12:42 pm

Sterling's breakaway dunk against UCONN to seal the deal in the first game in New Moody.

All of Ben's trademark 2 handed reach back slams

And of course, Wilfong's dunk (notice Ben and Sterling)

Last edited by Pony ^ on Fri Mar 03, 2017 12:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pony ^
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Grant Carter » Fri Mar 03, 2017 12:42 pm

I agree on all three, except I would not elevate the jersey to a tie with the dunk.
Grant Carter
Hall of Famer

Postby SMUstangs22 » Fri Mar 03, 2017 12:47 pm

Man I am going to miss watching this team. Their reaction to the Wilfong dunk says it all
SMUstangs22
Hall of Famer

Postby Bergermeister » Fri Mar 03, 2017 12:47 pm

I agree but I would have gone ahead and included the LuAnn Platter - bonus fish is a highlight.
Bergermeister

Postby mrydel » Fri Mar 03, 2017 12:56 pm

It was roast beef.
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

Postby mustang92 » Fri Mar 03, 2017 1:00 pm

I have shortcuts to videos of the Wilfong steal & dunk and the end of the 2016 Cincy game (with Rich's radio call) handy for bad days when I really need to be cheered up.
mustang92
Scout Team

Postby gostangs » Fri Mar 03, 2017 1:04 pm

Its not goodbye - since we all expect a run in the tourney - and I for one am not missing a tourney game.

However it is goodbye to seeing them play a game in Moody again. I will very likely have something stuck in my eye at the end. I'm a sap at these things. So much entertainment in four years its almost hard to think through all the special moments on that court.

Would also be great to see a bunch of ex players there to honor these three.
gostangs

Postby skyscraper » Fri Mar 03, 2017 1:48 pm

This is the best Wilfong moment and it's not even close. Delete your comments about the jersey.

skyscraper

Postby Stallion » Fri Mar 03, 2017 1:55 pm

Pet Peeve

When Wilfong comes in and plays contributing minutes with the first team don't start yelling for him to jack it up in the first half. When he earns playing time he's just another member of the team not a side-show when the game is out of reach. Its a RESPECT thing.
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby kc711 » Fri Mar 03, 2017 2:04 pm

Stallion wrote:Pet Peeve

When Wilfong comes in and plays contributing minutes with the first team don't start yelling for him to jack it up in the first half. When he earns playing time he's just another member of the team not a side-show when the game is out of reach. Its a RESPECT thing.

I agree!
kc711
Scout Team

Postby gostangs » Fri Mar 03, 2017 2:10 pm

completely agree. The guy is a solid player. I think it comes off as a put down. I know that's not how its meant, but just regular cheering would be great. No need to scream every time he touches the ball cause that becomes a joke.
gostangs

Postby SMU Section F » Fri Mar 03, 2017 3:09 pm

gostangs wrote:completely agree. The guy is a solid player. I think it comes off as a put down. I know that's not how its meant, but just regular cheering would be great. No need to scream every time he touches the ball cause that becomes a joke.

Completely agree.

Save that for Pyle. (Joking... kinda.)
SMU Section F
Heisman

Postby PonyTime » Fri Mar 03, 2017 3:56 pm

Can't argue with the OP on the best - but here are a few fav Highlights:

Nic to Ben off the backboard for a dunk:

Ben Moore slam to end half at UCONN:

The scuffle that led to Sterling Brown's ejection in the Cin game.

And I do have to say I loved the hair...

"Moral Victories Make Me Sick" - TR

PonyTime
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby SMU Section F » Fri Mar 03, 2017 4:45 pm

PonyTime wrote:And I do have to say I loved the hair...

I miss the FroHawk, but I feel like he had some terrible luck while wearing it...
SMU Section F
Heisman

Next

Return to Basketball