PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Favorite Senior Moment

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Favorite Senior Moment

Postby Junior » Fri Mar 03, 2017 5:14 pm

These were two four year scholarship guys and a walkon that is a crowd favorite. Who was an integral teammate.

Tomorrow is going to be great. 9 more games plus Memphis.
Derail the Frogs!
Junior
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby gostangs » Fri Mar 03, 2017 5:21 pm

SMU Section F wrote:
PonyTime wrote:And I do have to say I loved the hair...

I miss the FroHawk, but I feel like he had some terrible luck while wearing it...

I agree with this too. Sterling doesn't need to telegraph the attitude - it is way better when he sneaks up on you.
gostangs

Postby gostangs » Fri Mar 03, 2017 5:23 pm

skyscraper wrote:This is the best Wilfong moment and it's not even close. Delete your comments about the jersey.

I haven't seen this in a long time. If this doesn't make you smile you may not have a pulse.
gostangs

Postby SMUstangs22 » Fri Mar 03, 2017 5:47 pm

gostangs wrote:
skyscraper wrote:This is the best Wilfong moment and it's not even close. Delete your comments about the jersey.

I haven't seen this in a long time. If this doesn't make you smile you may not have a pulse.

I took your advice and you are right. I forgot how drastic the teams reaction was on the bench
SMUstangs22
Hall of Famer

Postby mrydel » Fri Mar 03, 2017 5:57 pm

LB was not happy with a dunk and 5 seconds remaining, but it was a great Wilfong and team moment.
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

Postby ready4abowl » Fri Mar 03, 2017 5:57 pm

These are all great.

I have REALLY enjoyed watching these gentlemen, night in and night out, working hard and respecting every aspect of the sport.
Restore the 80s Glory!
ready4abowl
Varsity

Postby SMUstangs22 » Fri Mar 03, 2017 6:15 pm

ready4abowl wrote:These are all great.

I have REALLY enjoyed watching these gentlemen, night in and night out, working hard and respecting every aspect of the sport.

Well except for the refs regarding Sterling :lol:
SMUstangs22
Hall of Famer

Postby untitled » Fri Mar 03, 2017 6:22 pm

Caballo wrote:Sterling Brown: The Cincinnati game last year. Big game in Moody with Cincy. Early in the game Sterling was ejected, which left us short of players to take on the physical Bearcats. He was visibly upset at being thrown out and probably felt he had let the team down. We played basically a six man rotation all night and was wearing down at the end. We were down by 7 or 9 as I recall with a couple of minutes left to play. The Ponies broke the huddle looking very dejected. Moody Magic roared to life as the crowd stood and cheered the team, lifting them up. We come back from certain defeat and win in the waning seconds.

As the game ended, Sterling came bolting out of the locker room with an ear to ear grin to jump into the celebration pile. He had to be the most relieved person in Moody. I recall a post game comment by Nic that the team had to come back and win the game for Sterling. Sterling never backed down from anyone on the court. He has been the grit and swagger on the team the last four years.

This is my favorite Sterling memory, as well. My seats are in 205, and I guess Sterling couldn't stand watching the game from the locker room because during the 2nd half he made his way up to the concourses and watched the game in-person from the entrance area between sections 210 and 211.
untitled
Varsity

Postby Junior » Fri Mar 03, 2017 6:24 pm

I had to miss that game. Was out of town until about 10pm that night. Went home knowing we won thanks to the ball on Reunion Tower, but was still nervous up til the end. I still have it in dvr.
Derail the Frogs!
Junior

Postby SMU_Alum11 » Fri Mar 03, 2017 6:53 pm

Just like Nic, Markus and Jordan departing, it's a bittersweet moment with next round of seniors, Ben, Sterling and Wilfong departing. They will be missed and can't be provided enough thanks for being the foundation of a strong and nationally recognized program. Thank you both past and current seniors!

Also thank you for the videos on the thread, man they do make you smile.
Insert "this is fine" GIF
SMU_Alum11
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby smusic 00 » Fri Mar 03, 2017 10:15 pm

Culwell Center freshman year, Ben, at the end of the bench, gets the call to sub in the game. He jumps up and rips off his warm up only to realize he left his jersey in the locker room. He grabs the manager and runs to the locker room. Laughter ensues on the bench.
smusic 00

Postby Stallion » Fri Mar 03, 2017 10:53 pm

My Ben Moore review 3 games into his career-its fun to go back and review our comment from those Culwell games

Ben Moore
by Stallion » Mon Nov 18, 2013 10:00 pm
for the third game in a row Ben Moore has ignited the SMU offense AND defense. He reminds me so much of Sam Perkins. Not the superstar presence but cool, calm, consistent in all phases of the game. This guy is the real deal. One of the few Mustangs that handled the stage well tonite. Even when he makes a freshman mistake he'll remain calm and watch he'll make a play within a few moments. I 'm not sure we can keep him out of the starting lineup very long but wow what a great 6th man right now

19 Pts, 5 Reb, 1 Stl, 2 Blk

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=69020
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby H-E-B Mustang » Sat Mar 04, 2017 12:14 am

Here is another interesting throw-back moment. A feature story when Ben was a sophomore. Near the end of the interview, he talks about changing his jersey number to 00.

http://www.ponyfans.com/features/story.php?id=751
H-E-B Mustang
All-American

Postby Grant Carter » Sat Mar 04, 2017 8:02 am

These are great features finds
Grant Carter
Hall of Famer

Postby mrydel » Sat Mar 04, 2017 8:37 am

I had never seen that interview. Good stuff. Thanks.
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

PreviousNext

Return to Basketball