PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

NCAA First Round Sites

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

NCAA First Round Sites

Postby sadderbudweiser » Sat Mar 04, 2017 6:54 am

A little research plus a little guessing and you have at least some idea where SMU will end up.

For the purposes of this exercise I'll assume we'll end up a 5 or a 6 seed as those seem to be where we get mentioned most often these days. If by some chance we end up a four...no worries as 4's play the same place as 5's. If we end up a 7 or worse this has been a waste of time and good coffee.

Here is where fours and fives play:

Midwest Region: Milwaukee
West Region: Orlando
East Region: Orlando
South Region: Buffalo

Here is where sixes play:

MW Region: Sacramento
West: Milwaukee
East: Greenville
South: Salt Lake City

So, right off the bat you can see that if my guessing holds up there is a 50 percent chance we'll play in either Milwaukee or Orlando and only a 25 percent chance we'll play somewhere out west and only as a six seed.

If it gets any more complicated than this I'll ask the guy who wrote the AAC tie-breakers for help.
Party at The Wopper!
sadderbudweiser
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: NCAA First Round Sites

Postby sadderbudweiser » Sat Mar 04, 2017 7:07 am

Taking it a step further: According to Booking.com these are the percentages of hotel room availability for that weekend

Milwaukee: 73%
Orlando: 14%
Buffalo: 37%
Salt Lake: 65%

They don't have stats for Sacramento or Greenville....but if it's Greenville I'm thinking that bunking with the ECU pompom squad is our best bet.
Party at The Wopper!
sadderbudweiser

Postby RGV Pony » Sat Mar 04, 2017 8:38 am

sadderbudweiser wrote:Taking it a step further: According to Booking.com these are the percentages of hotel room availability for that weekend

They don't have stats for Sacramento or Greenville....but if it's Greenville I'm thinking that bunking with the ECU pompom squad is our best bet.

Wrong Greenville
RGV Pony

Postby mrydel » Sat Mar 04, 2017 8:42 am

Surely not Greenville, MS. And yes I did call you surely.
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

Postby PonyRef » Sat Mar 04, 2017 9:11 am

What's the source of the predetermined site location by seeds? I always thought that is was part of process to deterimine locations by the top seed in each "pod"?
PonyRef
Scout Team

Postby sadderbudweiser » Sat Mar 04, 2017 9:34 am

RGV Pony wrote:
sadderbudweiser wrote:Taking it a step further: According to Booking.com these are the percentages of hotel room availability for that weekend

Wrong Greenville

Correct you are...sorry to lose the hotness of the ECU cheerleaders/pompom squad. NCAA really should do more homework .

Greenville SOUTH CAROLINA is at 59% availability.
Party at The Wopper!
sadderbudweiser

Postby sadderbudweiser » Sat Mar 04, 2017 9:36 am

mrydel wrote:Surely not Greenville, MS. And yes I did call you surely.

Greenville, Tx would be nice. Ummmmmm...Baker's brisket!
Party at The Wopper!
sadderbudweiser

Postby mrydel » Sat Mar 04, 2017 9:38 am

I lived in Greenville , TX. Really do not want to spend a lot of time there again. Bad memories.
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

Postby RGV Pony » Sat Mar 04, 2017 9:48 am

sadderbudweiser wrote:
RGV Pony wrote:

Wrong Greenville

Correct you are...sorry to lose the hotness of the ECU cheerleaders/pompom squad. NCAA really should do more homework .

Greenville SOUTH CAROLINA is at 59% availability.

I guess after potty gate costing Greensboro they went for a city that sounded the same so they could make it less obvious?
RGV Pony

Postby Dukie » Sat Mar 04, 2017 11:24 am

sadderbudweiser wrote:A little research plus a little guessing and you have at least some idea where SMU will end up.

For the purposes of this exercise I'll assume we'll end up a 5 or a 6 seed as those seem to be where we get mentioned most often these days. If by some chance we end up a four...no worries as 4's play the same place as 5's. If we end up a 7 or worse this has been a waste of time and good coffee.

Here is where fours and fives play:

Midwest Region: Milwaukee
West Region: Orlando
East Region: Orlando
South Region: Buffalo

Here is where sixes play:

MW Region: Sacramento
West: Milwaukee
East: Greenville
South: Salt Lake City

So, right off the bat you can see that if my guessing holds up there is a 50 percent chance we'll play in either Milwaukee or Orlando and only a 25 percent chance we'll play somewhere out west and only as a six seed.

If it gets any more complicated than this I'll ask the guy who wrote the AAC tie-breakers for help.

This is interesting, I didn't know they had switched to preassigning the sites based on generic seed numbers without yet knowing which schools will actually occupy what seeds. This seems much less sensible than the prior system of trying to place teams seeded 1-4 in each region as close as possible to their home base.
Dukie
Heisman

Postby skyscraper » Sat Mar 04, 2017 12:09 pm

Respectfully, there's no proof for this seeding assignments you've posted. It's no different than the conjecture of bracketology.
skyscraper

Postby sadderbudweiser » Sat Mar 04, 2017 1:17 pm

skyscraper wrote:Respectfully, there's no proof for this seeding assignments you've posted. It's no different than the conjecture of bracketology.

Like I said..... guessing.
Party at The Wopper!
sadderbudweiser

Return to Basketball