PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

SMU Wins the National Championship

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

SMU Wins the National Championship

Postby Wild Mustang » Sun Mar 05, 2017 12:02 pm

I have said it earlier in the year, but I still seriously believe that SMU could win the NCAA Tournament. We all know that matchups matter. Getting hot and staying hot matter. Having a bit of luck on our side matter.

Look at how our team is playing right now. Our guys are playing together, playing with confidence, playing tough defense, rebounding, spacing the floor, playing smart defense and not committing a lot of fouls, playing unselfishly. Not sure that we could be playing any better. Yes we have to stay out of foul trouble with our short bench, but quite honestly we have been doing that for the better part of the year. Yes we need to stay healthy, but that is something that you could say for almost any team.

Take a step back from everything... Just a few years ago UCONN won the National Championship. That season SMU beat UCONN twice during the regular season. UCONN played well in the NCAA Tournament, got hot, had luck on their side a couple of games, and took care of business.

We are definitely hot at the right time of year. The NCAA Tournament is going to be fun to watch once again! Go Mustangs!
Wild Mustang
Junior Varsity

Re: SMU Wins the National Championship

Postby SMUstang07 » Sun Mar 05, 2017 12:35 pm

It's definitely possible but let's not read too much into beating teams ranked ~100 according to the computers. It all depends on our draw. Hopefully we don't panic when shots aren't dropping or when we aren't able to throw up alley-oops every other time down the court. Opponent's defense will be much better in the dance.

Everyone who can needs to make the trip to round 1 because these guys clearly feed off the crowd's energy.
SMUstang07
Varsity

Postby Charleston Pony » Sun Mar 05, 2017 12:39 pm

Let's see if these guys can continue playing at this high a level through the AAC Tourney. Three games in 3 days is going to test their stamina and what our bench can contribute. We really are a team that depends on shooting threes so I'm concerned about tired legs in the AAC Tourney and how they will do against much better defensive teams in the NCAA Tourney. These guys believe in themselves so I hope they take us on a wild post-season ride this year.
Charleston Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby SMUstangs22 » Sun Mar 05, 2017 12:51 pm

If the entire tourny was played at home Id bet on it ha
SMUstangs22
Hall of Famer

Postby sadderbudweiser » Sun Mar 05, 2017 1:08 pm

Here's what I like:

Two things the talking heads always mention that are needed for a deep run are senior leadership and outstanding guard play.

Check....and check.

Add to that the tremendous chip our seniors must carry on their shoulders and the experience of winning more than 100 collegiate games.

Add to that the fact that any one of our starters can carry the team for a critical stretch.

Add to that the calm, cerebral way Jank approaches the game.

Add to that that it would F@@kin Kill Peruna's Law.

I like our team. $h!t happens but, with a good draw, I like our chances.
Party at The Wopper!
sadderbudweiser

Postby Stallion » Sun Mar 05, 2017 1:11 pm

With 4 starters hitting between .438-.425% from the 3 point line (not to mention emerging hot shot bomber Ben Moore) we got a Shooter's Chance-unfortunately we are probably going to have to win some games when the 3 isn't falling. I do think we could have beaten most Top 25 teams the way we played in last 2 games

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basket ... eldGoalPct
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby PonyLawExpress » Sun Mar 05, 2017 2:31 pm

WAY TOO EARLY for this thread. I want to win a tourney game and make the 2nd weekend first, but with that being said I don't think we have ceiling if we are hot, stay out of foul trouble/injuries, and get some decent matchups.

My key in the tourney outside of what i mentioned above is Sterling. Semi is a force and going to have big games and Ben is Ben. But Sterling loves the big moment and the big play if he can play like he did last night or like he did AT cincy and AT Tulsa we are going to be a force. We have good guard play, but we need him to have a HUGE tourney and I think Sterling is ready to just take over. We obviously need Shake to play well, but Sterling is able to create his own shot this year, is great at attacking the bucket, and great at the FT line. He is my key to a deep run if he is rolling offensively and hitting the glass hard we are going to be an extremely hard out if the rest of the guys do what they do.
PonyLawExpress
Heisman

Postby SMUstangs22 » Sun Mar 05, 2017 2:36 pm

Lol its fun to imagine but the chances are so small. Lets win a game in the tourny first
SMUstangs22
Hall of Famer

Postby Stallion » Sun Mar 05, 2017 2:37 pm

Another wildcard is our "5th Starter" Jarrey. We need consistent play from him. His upside is huge but he is somewhat inconsistent. Kid is leading us in 3 point percentage at .438 though
Last edited by Stallion on Sun Mar 05, 2017 4:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

Stallion

Postby Stallion » Sun Mar 05, 2017 2:46 pm

Stallion Fun Fact:

Each one of SMU's starters lead the team in a major statistical category-seems kind of unusual-maybe not

Semi: Points Per Game, Field Goals Made
Ben Moore-Rebounds Per Game, Blocks Per Game, Field Goals %
Sterling Moore-Free Throw %, Steals Per Game
Shake: Assists per Game, 3 pointers Made, Minutes Played
Jarrey: 3 Point %

Stallion

Postby LA_Mustang » Sun Mar 05, 2017 2:58 pm

Who would've guess Jarrey has the highest 3-point percentage on a team with Semi, Shake and Sterling?
SMU-12 NCAA appearances, 1 Final Four
2014-15 & 2016-17 AAC Men's Basketball Champs

LA_Mustang

Postby SMUstangs22 » Sun Mar 05, 2017 3:18 pm

Well to be fair to jarrey he either hit nothing but net or airball last year. All he had to do was eliminate the air balls :lol:
SMUstangs22
Hall of Famer

Postby SMU 86 » Sun Mar 05, 2017 3:21 pm

Just have to stay out of foul trouble and keep rolling. Anything is possible if they stay out of foul trouble.
"We will play man to man and we will pick you up at the airport." - Larry Brown

________________________Champion________________________
SMU 86

Postby soccermom » Sun Mar 05, 2017 4:23 pm

I like the title of this thread, but I am superstitious when it comes to SMU. Let's just focus on the next game.
soccermom
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby freqz » Sun Mar 05, 2017 4:58 pm

One game at a time. Don't get in foul trouble and play our game and we'll do well. There is no ceiling on this team.
Texas bites. Baylor sucks. As it was in the beginning, is now, and evermore shall be. Amen.
freqz
Junior Varsity

Next

Return to Basketball