PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Draft Express Update: Shake & Semi

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Postby PonyLawExpress » Mon Mar 06, 2017 10:50 pm

I saw these tweets and saw DraftExpress updated its rankings/Mock Drafts:

Has Shake at #64 overall prospect and #27 in next years 2018 mock draft.
Has Semi as #42 Overall Prospect and #37 (Early 2nd Round) in THIS years 2017 Mock Draft.

Semi seems to be steadily moving up the draft board on DraftExpress, which seems to be one of the best for mock drafts. Hard to know what Semi will do. It's is seeming more and more likely that Shake will be back for another year.

No need to worry until after the season, but always good to keep up with the current projections before the tournaments start.
PonyLawExpress
Heisman

Re: Draft Express Update: Shake & Semi

Postby Whitwiki Pony » Tue Mar 07, 2017 6:03 am

If he can go in the first round, he should take the guaranteed money
Whitwiki Pony
Scout Team

Postby ponyboy » Tue Mar 07, 2017 10:40 am

He should finish his psychology degree, even with first round guaranteed money. Because life is not just about money. Semi's going to have a nice NBA career, but he's got a higher calling.
ponyboy
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby deucetz » Tue Mar 07, 2017 10:43 am

ponyboy wrote:He should finish his psychology degree, even with first round guaranteed money. Because life is not about just money.

He graduates in May. He is an academic all-American, we don't have to worry about him finishing his degree. If he comes back, he will be working towards a masters.
deucetz
All-American

Postby photopony » Tue Mar 07, 2017 11:22 am

Seems like Semi's decision will be based on his performance in the tourney. If he can continue his dominance against top competition than his stock should go up quickly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Last edited by photopony on Tue Mar 07, 2017 11:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
photopony
Varsity

Postby hoopmanx » Tue Mar 07, 2017 11:41 am

Only reason Semi goes is age. If he came back w/a back to basket game, he'd mive up even higher
hoopmanx
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby PonyLawExpress » Tue Mar 07, 2017 2:44 pm

hoopmanx wrote:Only reason Semi goes is age. If he came back w/a back to basket game, he'd mive up even higher

That's what I am thinking, unless he just had an HUGE march. Will just come down to if he wants to come back and play another year, get another degree, and move his stock up or if he is just ready to try and start an NBA career.

Shake I'm like 90% sure will be back. Has so much to gain from another year. Also, is really tight with guys on the team and can likely get his degree after 3 years.
PonyLawExpress
Heisman

Postby SMUstangs22 » Tue Mar 07, 2017 4:45 pm

If Semi goes do we grab 2 grad transfers?
SMUstangs22
Hall of Famer

Postby mrydel » Tue Mar 07, 2017 5:14 pm

I am still having nightmares of both Semi and Shake leaving along with Ben and Sterling. And then I wake up and realize how well we are doing right now and begin to enjoy the moment again.
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

Postby SMU Section F » Tue Mar 07, 2017 5:17 pm

mrydel wrote:I am still having nightmares of both Semi and Shake leaving along with Ben and Sterling. And then I wake up and realize how well we are doing right now and begin to enjoy the moment again.

Yeah, you kind of just have to file it under "Good Problems to Have" and enjoy the moment.

I'll worry more once I see how far we go.
SMU Section F
Heisman

Postby East Coast Mustang » Tue Mar 07, 2017 10:09 pm

Hoop- how much does "age" matter though? Because of the way the cap and contracts are structured, arent you kind of out of the league and headed to Europe after your first NBA contract anyways if you're a borderline NBA talent, regardless of if you entered at 23 or 20?
2005 PonyFans.com Rookie of the Year Award Recipient
East Coast Mustang

Postby PonyLawExpress » Tue Mar 07, 2017 10:10 pm

SMU Section F wrote:
mrydel wrote:I am still having nightmares of both Semi and Shake leaving along with Ben and Sterling. And then I wake up and realize how well we are doing right now and begin to enjoy the moment again.

Yeah, you kind of just have to file it under "Good Problems to Have" and enjoy the moment.

I'll worry more once I see how far we go.

mrydel, I have the same nightmare ha. But yep I always just remind myself to enjoy the ride. Then when it ends we can worry if we have to. I just can't see us losing them both, especially Shake, but it could happen.

Losing them to the draft would be a good problem to have, because it gets rid of the image we don't send people to the show. We could be REALLY good again next year if both are back.

I doubt we add two grad-transfer bigs, even if he leaves, but we could if the right two were there.
PonyLawExpress
Heisman

Postby East Coast Mustang » Tue Mar 07, 2017 10:28 pm

Whitwiki Pony wrote:If he can go in the first round, he should take the guaranteed money

Agreed, but I don't know if he's a first round prospect at this point. What's his position in the NBA? Stretch 4?
2005 PonyFans.com Rookie of the Year Award Recipient
East Coast Mustang

Postby Whitwiki Pony » Tue Mar 07, 2017 10:51 pm

He's kinda like a draymond green 4. Maybe better athlete but not as big a wingspan.
Whitwiki Pony
Scout Team

Postby PonyLawExpress » Tue Mar 07, 2017 11:28 pm

Whitwiki Pony wrote:He's kinda like a draymond green 4. Maybe better athlete but not as big a wingspan.

Has to be a stretch 4. Doesn't have the handle or the D to check a 3 all game long, at this point. His measurements could hurt him as 4 though as you mentioned. Think he could be a good pro stretch 4, but could work on his overall game (including his D rebounding). I just can't see him as a 1st rounder in this deep draft with him being a tweener. I think if he improved some areas of his game, had a big year next year, and in a less deep draft he could be a first round guy.

Don't get why him or Shake would go unless the were a lock first rounder. Have alot they could gain from 1 more year. First round guarantee is huge in the NBA.
PonyLawExpress
Heisman

Next

Return to Basketball