PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Draft Express Update: Shake & Semi

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Draft Express Update: Shake & Semi

Postby East Coast Mustang » Tue Mar 07, 2017 11:33 pm

PonyLawExpress wrote:
Whitwiki Pony wrote:He's kinda like a draymond green 4. Maybe better athlete but not as big a wingspan.

Has to be a stretch 4. Doesn't have the handle or the D to check a 3 all game long, at this point. His measurements could hurt him as 4 though as you mentioned. Think he could be a good pro stretch 4, but could work on his overall game (including his D rebounding). I just can't see him as a 1st rounder in this deep draft with him being a tweener. I think if he improved some areas of his game, had a big year next year, and in a less deep draft he could be a first round guy.

Don't get why him or Shake would go unless the were a lock first rounder. Have alot they could gain from 1 more year. First round guarantee is huge in the NBA.

Agreed on all points. Also- how many 6-7 stretch 4's are there in the NBA?

Getting a master's in psychology for free at SMU while coming back and playing for what could be a preseason top-10 team next year isn't a bad deal for Semi.
2005 PonyFans.com Rookie of the Year Award Recipient
East Coast Mustang
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby PonyLawExpress » Wed Mar 08, 2017 12:15 am

East Coast Mustang wrote:
PonyLawExpress wrote:
Whitwiki Pony wrote:He's kinda like a draymond green 4. Maybe better athlete but not as big a wingspan.

Has to be a stretch 4. Doesn't have the handle or the D to check a 3 all game long, at this point. His measurements could hurt him as 4 though as you mentioned. Think he could be a good pro stretch 4, but could work on his overall game (including his D rebounding). I just can't see him as a 1st rounder in this deep draft with him being a tweener. I think if he improved some areas of his game, had a big year next year, and in a less deep draft he could be a first round guy.

Don't get why him or Shake would go unless the were a lock first rounder. Have alot they could gain from 1 more year. First round guarantee is huge in the NBA.

Agreed on all points. Also- how many 6-7 stretch 4's are there in the NBA?

Getting a master's in psychology for free at SMU while coming back and playing for what could be a preseason top-10 team next year isn't a bad deal for Semi.

Not many and most anyone who is around a 6'8 4 usually have around a 7'1+ wingspan or something freakish.

I agree, could see Semi coming back. Would think he does, just hope he makes the best decision for him. He has a bright future in basketball and life afterwards. Great kid. So fun to watch and have represent our university.
PonyLawExpress
Heisman

Postby mrydel » Wed Mar 08, 2017 7:25 am

As terrifying as my nightmare is I do want both Shake and Semi to make the best decision for them personally. I do not believe either has a family in need of immediate money so they can weigh all of the options and choose the best course. And if they want my advice I can certainly tell them what would make me sleep better.
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

Postby hoopmanx » Wed Mar 08, 2017 8:24 am

East Coast Mustang wrote:Hoop- how much does "age" matter though? Because of the way the cap and contracts are structured, arent you kind of out of the league and headed to Europe after your first NBA contract anyways if you're a borderline NBA talent, regardless of if you entered at 23 or 20?

Conventional wisdom says get to the league as early as possible, get through the 'garbage' rookie deal, prosper. That gives you two FA's before you're on the wrong side of 30, in theory. Obviously,those are best laid plans, which we know often don't come to fruition. Problem is, None of these kids , think they're gone to Europe if they get a league shot first.

That said, I get the feeling that Semi marches to his own beat. Incredible student, community leader, loves the college experience and being the man, so we'll just have to see
hoopmanx
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby sadderbudweiser » Wed Mar 08, 2017 8:27 am

I'm pulling hard for two first rounders NEXT year....and Jarrey starting to creep into projections.

It's gonna be tough around here this summer.
Party at The Wopper!
sadderbudweiser

Postby sadderbudweiser » Wed Mar 08, 2017 8:35 am

hoopmanx wrote:
East Coast Mustang wrote:That said, I get the feeling that Semi marches to his own beat. Incredible student, community leader, loves the college experience and being the man, so we'll just have to see

Calm, cerebral coach should equal quality kids going forward. The D-League, China, Turkey, Russia and our streets are full of talented kids who couldn't process advice and separate good from bad.

This is one of the most satisfying aspects of where we are right now. I feel like we are making men instead of renting hoopers. Maybe that can't last forever and perhaps we'll miss on a few but it sure feels good to have such quality young men right now.
Party at The Wopper!
sadderbudweiser

Postby PonyLawExpress » Wed Mar 08, 2017 11:07 am

That's why Semi is hard to read, because he really is the exception to most rules. Special player and kid.

I think if you can be a first rounder it's get to the league as quick as possible, if you aren't, unless you need the money for your family, I don't get why you don't stick around a year or two, especially if you have the size or skill set to become a first rounder or lottery guy and get that guaranteed money. I know the rule is to get there asap, but a high majority of second rounders end up in Europe for lots of their careers or washout.

Hopefully they both make the right decision's for them and their futures. Good news is they are both good kids, with solid families and good head's on their shoulder so they will likely make an informed decision.
PonyLawExpress
Heisman

Postby PonyLawExpress » Tue Mar 14, 2017 10:04 am

Semi has moved up to #32 in the top 100 prospects. Also projected to go number 28 (in the 1st round now). Shake is #65 in the top 100 prospects and is still projected as a late 1st rounder in 2018 after another year to work on his game.

If we make and run in the tourney I could see Semi being viewed consistently as a late 1st rounder. If we don't, I see him being a fringe 1st- early 2nd rounder. Will be interesting to see what Semi wants to do, I am happy he is finally getting the recognition he deserves.
PonyLawExpress
Heisman

Postby deucetz » Tue Mar 14, 2017 10:23 am

PonyLawExpress wrote:Semi has moved up to #32 in the top 100 prospects. Also projected to go number 28 (in the 1st round now). Shake is #65 in the top 100 prospects and is still projected as a late 1st rounder in 2018 after another year to work on his game.

If we make and run in the tourney I could see Semi being viewed consistently as a late 1st rounder. If we don't, I see him being a fringe 1st- early 2nd rounder. Will be interesting to see what Semi wants to do, I am happy he is finally getting the recognition he deserves.

My dream is that Semi meets Duke in the sweet sixteen and he goes off for 30 points for our win against them. If he can get drafted as a first rounder, he should go. He is only taking one class and will graduate this year. If he will be a second rounder, he should stay.

He knows he can play himself into the first round, so I hope he plays within himself and doesn't force things.
deucetz
All-American

Postby Rebel10 » Tue Mar 14, 2017 10:45 am

I think he would be good NBA 3 imo.
#HammerDown
Rebel10

Postby PonyLawExpress » Tue Mar 14, 2017 11:02 am

Rebel10 wrote:I think he would be good NBA 3 imo.

He has the scoring game to be an NBA 3. Haven't seen him have to chase around an athletic 3 for most of a game. Like he struggled against a athletic guy like Cam Reynolds for Tulane. He would have to guard Jason Tatum if we played Duke so he would get his opportunity. I think he is better suited for an NBA 4 in a small ball scheme where he can pick and pop and go from there where he can be a mismatch, he is no longer an athletic mismatch able to drive by a long 3.
PonyLawExpress
Heisman

Postby SMUstangs22 » Tue Mar 14, 2017 12:05 pm

If Semi goes pro this year do we get 2 grad transfer types?
SMUstangs22
Hall of Famer

Postby PonyBait » Tue Mar 14, 2017 1:13 pm

PonyLawExpress wrote:

He has the scoring game to be an NBA 3. Haven't seen him have to chase around an athletic 3 for most of a game. Like he struggled against a athletic guy like Cam Reynolds for Tulane. He would have to guard Jason Tatum if we played Duke so he would get his opportunity. I think he is better suited for an NBA 4 in a small ball scheme where he can pick and pop and go from there where he can be a mismatch, he is no longer an athletic mismatch able to drive by a long 3.

I'd like to see Jarrey/Sterling on Tatum
PonyBait
Scout Team

Postby PonyLawExpress » Tue Mar 14, 2017 2:34 pm

PonyBait wrote:
PonyLawExpress wrote:

I'd like to see Jarrey/Sterling on Tatum

If Duke goes big then we can do that, but they often ride Jackson, Kennard, Allen/Jones, then Tatum at 4 and Jefferson at the 5. So cant put Semi on a guard and I want Jarrey or Sterling on Kennard and Allen. I hope we get to that point and have to worry about this problem.

Hoopman would know better on what we would do if we lost Semi, but I wouldn't be surprised if we lost Semi to just add 1 grad-transfer and then maybe add a normal big man transfer or just eat the scholarship and have (1 grad transfer big, the two freshman bigs, and Foster play the two "big" spots). Watch Foster against Cincy in the championship in the second half play D on Clark and Washington. He could give us solid minutes at the 4. That being said we could take two grad-transfer bigs if there were two that we really liked, but I could see most of the grad-transfer decisions being made before we know what Semi will do, unless he hires an agent early, which I doubt.
PonyLawExpress
Heisman

Postby Charleston Pony » Tue Mar 14, 2017 3:49 pm

The comment I worry about from Semi in his interview with Doris Burke...while discussing that he only had to take one class this semester because he was so far ahead of what is required was : "I don't really like having to go to class". My question is whether he has already earned an undergraduate degree and if so, is he able to come back and take undergrad courses towards a second degree or is he interested in pursuing a graduate degree? If not, and the NBA is an attractive option, I would expect him to leave. Not sure what is required under NCAA rules to maintain eligibility. From what I have seen and read about him and his parents, I assumed he would want to use his college eligibility to work towards a graduate degree
Charleston Pony

PreviousNext

Return to Basketball