PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Gu

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Gu

Postby JoeKidd » Thu Mar 09, 2017 9:49 am

Congrats to Ben E., well deserved and I am looking forward to seeing him as a starter next year. I wonder if we move him to point and let Shake play his more natural 2 position?
#1 Day At A Time
JoeKidd
Heisman

Postby hoopmanx » Thu Mar 09, 2017 9:51 am

JoeKidd wrote:Congrats to Ben E., well deserved and I am looking forward to seeing him as a starter next year. I wonder if we move him to point and let Shake play his more natural 2 position?

Is that a joke?
hoopmanx
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby deucetz » Thu Mar 09, 2017 10:24 am

If anything, he would be the three. Whitt and Shake would both run point. Gu may still come off the bench as a spark, or we may run 4 guards at times.
deucetz
All-American

Postby PonyTime » Thu Mar 09, 2017 11:20 am

hoopmanx wrote:
JoeKidd wrote:Congrats to Ben E., well deserved and I am looking forward to seeing him as a starter next year. I wonder if we move him to point and let Shake play his more natural 2 position?

Is that a joke?

Yes - it's funny.

"Moral Victories Make Me Sick" - TR

PonyTime
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby W(B)estCoastMustang » Thu Mar 09, 2017 12:08 pm

BleedSMUPride wrote:He has come a very long way since the beginning of the year. He had a lot of weight on his shoulders when the Aussies left and he has really stepped up for this team. I'm sure he will get a big oppurtunity to compete for a starting job vs Jimmy Whit and especially if we don't get a grad transfer big, but I love him coming off the bench and providing that solid D and spark for this team.

I think Jank deserves some serious credit here too getting him to better understand his role and not trying to do too much. I think after the Aussies left and Deshawn got fewer minutes, he didn't feel like he had to be "the guy" on the 2nd team and settled down. He's at his best as a set shooter and a solid defender much like Sterling was last year.

Very excited to see his game develop next year as his skills and confidence continue to grow.
W(B)estCoastMustang

Postby PonyLawExpress » Thu Mar 09, 2017 12:14 pm

Proud of Gu. 0% chance Shake isn't our PG if he is back next year.

I wouldn't mind trying a 4 guard lineup, at times, next year (especially if Semi isn't back). Because with Shake, Whitt, Gu, Foster, McMurray, and likely Douglas(if he is ready) we have a really talented lineup of guards/wing. Could be kinda like KU did with Josh Jackson this year, but us do it with Jarrey. Also, depends what we can get out of Ray and Chargois as freshman.
PonyLawExpress
Heisman

Postby JoeKidd » Thu Mar 09, 2017 1:32 pm

hoopmanx wrote:

Is that a joke?

Do you disagree that Shake is better at 2 than the 1? I like the way Ben handles the ball and the composure he keeps under pressure. Understand he is not a true PG, but neither is Shake in my opinion. Haven't seen enough of Whitt to know where he fits best.
#1 Day At A Time
JoeKidd
Heisman

Postby 1983 Cotton Bowl » Thu Mar 09, 2017 2:24 pm

As I understand it (and I could be wrong) Whitt is a pure point guard.
1983 Cotton Bowl
Heisman

Postby mrydel » Thu Mar 09, 2017 2:33 pm

Whitt is good. Played a year at Arkansas. Highly touted but never found his shot. If he gets it back he will be a great addition along with being a good point.
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby PonyLawExpress » Thu Mar 09, 2017 3:17 pm

1983 Cotton Bowl wrote:As I understand it (and I could be wrong) Whitt is a pure point guard.

He is a Combo Guard. Not a true PG. Can play 1 and 2. I remember out of HS I read he was more comfortable at the 2, but had good enough handles to play the one. He is built like a smaller Shake. 6'3 with a 6'9 wingspan.

Huge Whitt fan. Tons of upside and is a solid defender and could be a lockdown defender for us. Good athlete and long. Real good off the dribble (needs to get a little stronger) if he can work on his catch and shoot jumper and get his shot going he could be a STUD at the 1 or 2.
PonyLawExpress
Heisman

Postby indianmustang » Thu Mar 09, 2017 4:22 pm

Lot of fun is being made of GU on bearcat talk
Mustang from India
indianmustang

Postby jimhagle » Thu Mar 09, 2017 4:36 pm

PonyLawExpress wrote:Proud of Gu. 0% chance Shake isn't our PG if he is back next year.

I wouldn't mind trying a 4 guard lineup, at times, next year (especially if Semi isn't back). Because with Shake, Whitt, Gu, Foster, McMurray, and likely Douglas(if he is ready) we have a really talented lineup of guards/wing. Could be kinda like KU did with Josh Jackson this year, but us do it with Jarrey. Also, depends what we can get out of Ray and Chargois as freshman.

The frosh are going to have to play next year-probably all of them
jimhagle
Heisman

Postby LA_Mustang » Thu Mar 09, 2017 4:44 pm

Why do you say that??
SMU-12 NCAA appearances, 1 Final Four
2014-15 & 2016-17 AAC Men's Basketball Champs

LA_Mustang

Postby hoopmanx » Thu Mar 09, 2017 9:14 pm

JoeKidd wrote:
hoopmanx wrote:

Is that a joke?

Do you disagree that Shake is better at 2 than the 1? I like the way Ben handles the ball and the composure he keeps under pressure. Understand he is not a true PG, but neither is Shake in my opinion. Haven't seen enough of Whitt to know where he fits best.

A few things. Gu and Shake play in the team together now.mif Gu was a better point option than Shake, or if Shake were vastly better at the 2, we'd be doing it now. Secondly, Shake regards himself as a PG, he was recruited as a PG, his NBA ceiling is at PG and his best paydays would be at PG. On top of that, he was a dominant PG this year in the league.

Whitt plays combo, on and off. He's a dynamic kid, as mentioned, long athlete. His shot is jacked up mechanically, but Hobbie is reconstructing it. They think he's all league by jr year. Backcourt iof shake, GU, Whitt is great. Becomes and embarrassment of riches when you consider MacMurray, douglas, Landrum, Mcdowell are all on roster too
hoopmanx
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby mustang92 » Thu Mar 09, 2017 11:13 pm

"...embarrassment of riches..."

And we're talking about SMU basketball. Somebody pinch me.
mustang92
Scout Team

PreviousNext

Return to Basketball