PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Gu

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Gu

Postby ojaipony » Fri Mar 10, 2017 12:55 pm

hoopmanx wrote:I think GU is going to be pretty damn nice next year as a starter. Gonna make a sizable PPG jump. Bring that Sterling toughness and physicality

Under Gary Williams, Maryland had a run from like '90-'05 where they had few MCD AA, but had Top 15 teams most years. They recruited high school like we try to, 50-250, evaluating for system etc. They used JUCOs, we use transfers etc. Anyway, each year some 2 or 3 year contributors or glue piece, would become a senior and step up. That's GU next year.

You think Semi and Shake come back? I'm inclined to think that Semi is gone, maybe Shake too.
ojaipony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby hoopmanx » Fri Mar 10, 2017 1:34 pm

I don't think there is any way of knowing right now. I don't think its a given Semi leaves, no matter what. HIs decision making process is ruled by a higher authority, so it'll be what's in his heart and IF he goes in first. Shake I think stays for Jimmy and Jarrey, his girlfriend, to graduate and improve stock.
hoopmanx
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby PonyLawExpress » Fri Mar 10, 2017 5:21 pm

hoopmanx wrote:I don't think there is any way of knowing right now. I don't think its a given Semi leaves, no matter what. HIs decision making process is ruled by a higher authority, so it'll be what's in his heart and IF he goes in first. Shake I think stays for Jimmy and Jarrey, his girlfriend, to graduate and improve stock.

Semi the more the season goes on the more I doubt he will be back. Especially if we make a run. I think Hoop nailed it though and as we know Semi isn't a normal kid. So tough to know what he will do. Either way I want to enjoy the rest of the ride this season with Semi.

Shake I would be stunned if he went after this year. He has been so up and down. Like today had 7pts 5asst 2TOs against ECU not really NBA numbers against inferior competition. When he is up he is awesome though. He has a lot of reasons to come back and a lot of $$ to gain if he does. He Has stuff to improve and he could have the star breakout year next year the NBA wants to see for him to be that Mid 1st round guy rather than a mid 2nd this year.
PonyLawExpress
Heisman

Postby Charleston Pony » Sat Mar 11, 2017 5:23 pm

Gu plays smart. He wasn't on today and realized that early. Turned down some open looks late and just focused on playing good D, rebounding and dished out 2 assists
Charleston Pony

Postby Junior » Sat Mar 11, 2017 5:54 pm

Is Gu a starter next year?
Derail the Frogs!
Junior

Postby mrydel » Sat Mar 11, 2017 5:55 pm

If Shake and Semi leave along with Brown and Moore I would say yes.
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

Postby PonySnob » Sat Mar 11, 2017 6:10 pm

mrydel wrote:If Shake and Semi leave along with Brown and Moore I would say yes.

Disaster scenario?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Peruna is my mascot!
PonySnob

Postby mrydel » Sat Mar 11, 2017 6:15 pm

It would be a true rebuild
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

Postby hoopmanx » Sat Mar 11, 2017 7:12 pm

I'd think shake, Gu, whitt, Jarrey and semi start next year. All bets are off when MacMurray shows up
hoopmanx
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby 78pony » Sun Mar 12, 2017 12:09 am

I say all back unless we win it all. I simply think they love playing together.
78pony
Heisman

Postby Lebanese4Life » Sun Mar 12, 2017 2:27 am

hoopmanx wrote:I'd think shake, Gu, whitt, Jarrey and semi start next year. All bets are off when MacMurray shows up

that's a smaller line-up we run right now. we desperately need a juco or transfer big for next year.
Lebanese4Life
Hall of Famer

Postby hoopmanx » Sun Mar 12, 2017 8:43 am

We're gonna get a big, no sweat. We don't deparately need anything other than a ship or two in 18
hoopmanx
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby PonyLawExpress » Sun Mar 12, 2017 9:50 am

hoopmanx wrote:We're gonna get a big, no sweat. We don't deparately need anything other than a ship or two in 18

Super excited for McMurray, he can score the rock. Be interested to see how he is defensively. Was an awesome get, if he can even be an adequate defender he will be a big time player for us.

Hoop, any updates on looking at either grad-transfer bigs or just a normal Transfer big (you mentioned this before)? I know most names won't come up till after the season and slightly depends on Semi, but have to get someone likely before you would know if he is going to be back or not. Just curious if you've heard any new rumblings on where we are looking and type of Bigs.

I would bet we only sign 1 early in the 2018 class and maybe add a late one depending on attrition. 2019 will be a big class.
PonyLawExpress
Heisman

Postby Terry Webster » Sun Mar 12, 2017 5:26 pm

That 3 pointed he hit at the end of the first half was huge. Absolutely sucked the energy out of uc.
Terry Webster
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Charleston Pony » Sun Mar 12, 2017 5:26 pm

Terry Webster wrote:That 3 pointed he hit at the end of the first half was huge. Absolutely sucked the energy out of uc.

key bucket for sure
Charleston Pony

PreviousNext

Return to Basketball