PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

ECU Game Thread....

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: ECU Game Thread....

Postby Prideful Pony » Fri Mar 10, 2017 2:42 pm

There's concern and then there's rend-your-clothes, smash-every-plate, try-to-set-your-dog-on-fire panic. Some folks resort to the latter just a little too often.
Prideful Pony
Junior Varsity

Postby StallionsModelT » Fri Mar 10, 2017 2:43 pm

No one hurt. It's a W. Learn from it and move on.

That was one of the most remarkable halves of three point shooting I have ever seen at the college level. We still found a way to win. Be happy.
Back off Warchild seriously.
StallionsModelT
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby sadderbudweiser » Fri Mar 10, 2017 2:45 pm

That did not have to be so hard.

Ugh.
Party at The Wopper!
sadderbudweiser

Postby 82Pony » Fri Mar 10, 2017 2:48 pm

They really took their time in-bounding the ball too. I thought they could have sped up the tempo before ECU could get set.
82Pony
Varsity

Postby H-E-B Mustang » Fri Mar 10, 2017 2:48 pm

Today should remind us that this is a game of emotion and momentum, played by young people, some of whom are still teenagers. I never saw that "deer in the headlights" look in our guys. They accepted the bad calls and adversity without folding. A lot of teams in our position would have lost that game. We're advancing to the next game.
H-E-B Mustang
All-American

Postby The Falcon » Fri Mar 10, 2017 2:51 pm

Mustangs35SMU wrote:
The Falcon wrote:I hate to think how the game might have ended when Barclay stole the ball, drove in for
a layup. He would have given ECU a 2 point lead with under a minute to go, but
he lost the ball and it went out of bounds - SMU ball. I saw him crying later because he
knew that he had blown a possible win and now he was going home.

SMU was up 2 at that point, 79-77. His layup would've tied the game.

My bad. I checked the review and you are right. It was still a possible game losing
turnover because ECU definitely had momentum, and Barkley knew his mistake cost
them.
The Falcon
All-American

Postby Mustangs35SMU » Fri Mar 10, 2017 2:53 pm

FYI, that was our 4 straight conference tournament win after losing 11 straight conference tournament games.

Last time we won 4 consecutive conference tournament games in the 87/88 season (all 4 won in same tournament). Have never won 5 in a row.
Mustangs35SMU

Postby 82Pony » Fri Mar 10, 2017 2:55 pm

Stallion wrote:I've always thought we should have two Game Threads-one for those that offer constructive comments-whether positive or negative- and one for those that routinely pee their pants. If you lose your [deleted] you should be relegated to the Second Division. Its the same people over and over. Have confidence in your team

Just hope Jank doesn't accidentally read the wrong thread during the game. He needs our informative tips.
Last edited by 82Pony on Fri Mar 10, 2017 3:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
82Pony
Varsity

Postby No Quarter » Fri Mar 10, 2017 3:00 pm

Harry0569 wrote:lol that was bad

Got to change something, or at least revert to the old ways.

Harry, I hope you start the next thread!

Having said that, a W is a W.
No Quarter
Heisman

Postby RI Stang » Fri Mar 10, 2017 3:11 pm

H-E-B Mustang wrote:Today should remind us that this is a game of emotion and momentum, played by young people, some of whom are still teenagers. I never saw that "deer in the headlights" look in our guys. They accepted the bad calls and adversity without folding. A lot of teams in our position would have lost that game. We're advancing to the next game.

Totally agree with this. Will never forget the look in our eyes during the UCLA meltdown and I just had that sinking feeling of what was coming (a LOT of things from that game get lost because of the BS goaltending call). These guys weren't going to let that happen. Not the same stakes obviously, but I'm optimistic that this will serve us well for the next close one - when we take out Duke or Baylor or whomever in the round of 32 :wink:
RI Stang
All-American

Postby SMU_Alum11 » Fri Mar 10, 2017 3:15 pm

kc711 wrote:
SMU_Alum11 wrote:We don't deserve to win and be in tourney. This is embarassing.

Thank you for your thoughtful analysis. Thus, under your thoughtful approach, Kansas is out of the NCAA tournament because they lost to TCU! Who are you going to place in the NCAA tournament in lieu of Kansas? Houston Baptist?

Below is your three step guide to self-improvement and maturity:

1. Reduce your coffee intake;

2. Learn much, much more about basketball; and

3. Grow up, even a little bit!

By the way, are you related to Jason B?

Haha wow you just continued be a perpetual [deleted]. I'm sorry but before your criticize or just say nonsensical jibber jabber, where's your analysis? Oh right you don't have one little troll. If you can try to gather your few little brain cells, my criticism was how bad we played and how unfocus we were to not be deserving a tourney run. It had nothing to do with other teams.

So here's your guide on not being a [deleted]

1) add value to your comments

2) maybe just don't continue with ponyfans

3) know that everyone thinks you are [deleted].

Thanks!
Insert "this is fine" GIF
SMU_Alum11
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby sadderbudweiser » Fri Mar 10, 2017 3:16 pm

Harry0569 wrote:
blackoutpony wrote:Ojai, chill out. You're going to burst a blood vessel. Well be fine.

how can you be stressed? we're up 20 friken points

:lol: reading most of what I missed now....
Did he make it?
Party at The Wopper!
sadderbudweiser

Postby ojaipony » Fri Mar 10, 2017 3:18 pm

Meh.

We won, no one got hurt. Move on. Only thing that sucks is that it would have been nice if our starters could've sat most of the 2nd half. But, one tournament at a time. One game at a time.

As I've said before, sometimes the most successful tourney teams lay eggs in their conf tourneys. Hell, Kansas just lost opening round so . . .

I know we all want to win this tourney but I don't really care to be honest. I'd rather go deep in the tourney. Of course, I want it all. Pony Up!
ojaipony

Postby Stallion » Fri Mar 10, 2017 3:20 pm

REMINDER: There's about a 99% chance this season ends in a crushing loss-happens to about 65 of 66 Tournament teams every darn year
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby Stallion » Fri Mar 10, 2017 3:22 pm

Dayton got beat by a 9 seed. I'm going to go to their message board and see if I feel as bad as they do?
http://udpride.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=3

Nope I'm feeling pretty good thanks to some plays made by Semi, B.Moore and Sterling Brown down the stretch to save the game

Top thread on Dayton Board-"An Insult to the Loyal Fans" apparently because a conference champion 24 win team caused him to waste his money on tournament travel and expenses

"With a large UD crowd this was like a home game. Many loyal fans spent a lot of money to come and support the team and watch this team play without energy or effort. A major disappointment but a real insult to all those supporting fans. Had the team played to the level they can, no one would blame them. But this was an insult. If they play with this effort in the dabce, they may as well stay at home."
Last edited by Stallion on Fri Mar 10, 2017 3:27 pm, edited 4 times in total.
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

PreviousNext

Return to Basketball