PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Official NCAA Tourney Thread: SMU vs. USC

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Official NCAA Tourney Thread: SMU vs. USC

Postby ericdickerson4life » Fri Mar 17, 2017 7:09 pm

I'd like to say to USC eat a [deleted]! [deleted] hate Peruna's law.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ericdickerson4life
Heisman

Postby Rebel10 » Fri Mar 17, 2017 7:21 pm

Just took a look at the box scre and USC beat us on the boards 34 to 30.
#HammerDown
Rebel10
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Blunt Pony » Fri Mar 17, 2017 7:40 pm

Well it definitely felt like we got out boarded. Foul trouble finally got us. Semi and Ben both played scared of committing fouls in the second half. That is where the lack of depth caught up with us. I think we all knew this might happen, but speaking for myself, I thought it would happen against Duke. Really wanted to get to the second weekend as that is what would probably solidify us as a tourney team for the next few years. A weeks worth of publicity and a sweet 16 appearance is what this program needed. Going out 1st round is gut punch and it hurts this program. The road just got a lot harder...hope that Semi sticks around, but I would expect that he may be done after this.
Blunt Pony
Varsity

Postby sadderbudweiser » Fri Mar 17, 2017 7:55 pm

Blunt Pony wrote:Well it definitely felt like we got out boarded. Foul trouble finally got us. Semi and Ben both played scared of committing fouls in the second half. That is where the lack of depth caught up with us. I think we all knew this might happen, but speaking for myself, I thought it would happen against Duke. Really wanted to get to the second weekend as that is what would probably solidify us as a tourney team for the next few years. A weeks worth of publicity and a sweet 16 appearance is what this program needed. Going out 1st round is gut punch and it hurts this program. The road just got a lot harder...hope that Semi sticks around, but I would expect that he may be done after this.

I agree with all of that...but I think Semi stays.
Party at The Wopper!
sadderbudweiser

Postby Charleston Pony » Fri Mar 17, 2017 8:07 pm

USC got several of their offensive boards in that last 3 minutes and that really killed us. That was an intense game and as much as we try to control tempo to protect our thin roster, fatigue certainly appeared to hit our guys late with all those shots coming up short...of course, nerves and short arming those shots played a role as well. Shake and Sterling played 40 minutes and Semi played 39. I think USC's 47 bench minutes vs SMU's 18 was a factor down the stretch, but not an excuse because we still held the lead for 38 minutes and just didn't make plays at the end.
Charleston Pony

Postby SC Pony » Fri Mar 17, 2017 10:08 pm

OK, upsets occur in the NCAA tournament. We are better than USC according to Sagarin and Kenpom for a reason. Sorry way to end the season, but an unbelievable season nonetheless. AAC champs and AAC tournament champs. Thanks seniors for a great year.
SC Pony
Varsity

Postby Rebel10 » Fri Mar 17, 2017 10:39 pm

SC Pony wrote:OK, upsets occur in the NCAA tournament. We are better than USC according to Sagarin and Kenpom for a reason. Sorry way to end the season, but an unbelievable season nonetheless. AAC champs and AAC tournament champs. Thanks seniors for a great year.

I don't think Sagrin and Kenpom take into account the injuries that USC had during conference play. They lost zero OOC games. But I believe USC comes to Moody next year in a return game. I think they have one of the top recruiting classes in the country.
#HammerDown
Rebel10

Postby ojaipony » Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:41 am

Time for this program to play FOR the tourney not just play to get INTO the tourney. We are ready now for that. Expect to get in the tourney but that the REAL season begins WITH the tourney. Not just a "yay, we're here" but a "yep, we expected to be and now we kick some [deleted]!"
ojaipony

Postby Sacco » Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:56 am

I agree, Ojai. Getting into the tourney is the new expectation. No big Selection Sunday shows at Moody needed any more.

We have tourney experience now.

I didn't know until after the loss that this was Jank's first tourney game as a HC. I think the tourney experience will pay off big for both the coaching staff and for our players.

Next year we'll play like we've been there before, because we have (recently).

Would love to have Semi back. Even IF he doesn't come back, how can you not get excited about all of next year's players? Maybe our starting five won't be as talented, but we'll have depth. And, our players have tourney experience.

I just hope the fan base doesn't lose momentum because of the first-round tourney losses.
Sacco
Scout Team

Previous

Return to Basketball