PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

NIT thread

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: NIT thread

Postby skyscraper » Thu Mar 30, 2017 11:21 pm

No one on this board would trade the two AAC trophies we got this season and the NCAA appearance for an nit title.
I wasn't cheering for TCU but I don't see their win as a sign of the apocalypse.
skyscraper
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Fresno Mustang » Thu Mar 30, 2017 11:27 pm

LA_Mustang wrote:I'm the only one who gives a damn that TCU just did something we couldn't in the only sport we are good at, and I need to take xanax. Half the people on here wanted TCU to win??!! And I've got the problem. That tells you everything you need to know about our fanbase.

Worry about this if tcu wins 30 games, wins their conference, has an all American, 3 years running conference player of the year and actually sells out that dog [deleted] gym of theirs. You freaking out is the equivalent to a tcu fan worrying next year about SMU footballs rise to prominence if we win the duck commander bowl while tcu loses in the fiesta bowl

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
SMU Class of 2014
Fresno Mustang
All-American

Postby LA_Mustang » Thu Mar 30, 2017 11:31 pm

You're wrong. TCU is in the Big 12, their NIT win thumps anything we do in conference by a mile. Nationally their program is ahead of ours. But, hey....go Frogs.
SMU-12 NCAA appearances, 1 Final Four
2014-15 & 2016-17 AAC Men's Basketball Champs

LA_Mustang

Postby PonyPlayer4 » Thu Mar 30, 2017 11:43 pm

LA_Mustang wrote:Okay, you're right here?? What does worry about something that matters mean?? I'll ask you AGAIN, what did I say that is a joke? I look forward to your non-answer. Puppet hanging....

I laid it out in my previous post. It's a joke that you link not cheering against TCU in the NIT to the death of our programs.
PonyPlayer4
Hall of Famer

Postby PonyPlayer4 » Thu Mar 30, 2017 11:45 pm

It's just funny someone can drive themselves that crazy and that far down a path of a TCU NIT game leading to the demise of everything SMU.

Puppet.
PonyPlayer4
Hall of Famer

Postby LA_Mustang » Thu Mar 30, 2017 11:54 pm

I'm Chris Hope class of 1996. Can you tell me why I'm a puppet? I bet you will never give your name and grad year. But I'm the puppet
SMU-12 NCAA appearances, 1 Final Four
2014-15 & 2016-17 AAC Men's Basketball Champs

LA_Mustang

Postby East Coast Mustang » Fri Mar 31, 2017 12:34 am

LA_Mustang wrote:I'm Chris Hope class of 1996. Can you tell me why I'm a puppet? I bet you will never give your name and grad year. But I'm the puppet

Chris- calm down, you're getting mad online.

Props to TCU for winning the NIT, Dixon certainly has things headed in the right direction there. But I follow college hoops pretty religiously and I just now had to look up who won the NIT last year (George Washington). Simply put, no one cares about the NIT besides the teams who are in it. It was fun when we went to the finals in 2014, but few people noticed outside of the SMU diehards.

TCU and SMU is going to be a good Metroplex rivalry in hoops going forward. If Semi comes back, I think we handle them in FW next year, but maybe not by double digits like we did this season.
2005 PonyFans.com Rookie of the Year Award Recipient
East Coast Mustang

Postby East Coast Mustang » Fri Mar 31, 2017 12:38 am

LA_Mustang wrote:It's really not hard to understand. They won the NIT. We lost in the final. Where is the confusion? We haven't done anything in the NCAA tourney (0-2) in this run. Advantage TCU.

Take your pick of which team would've rather supported over the past four years:

Team 1: NIT runner-up, 2 NCAA tournament appearances, 2 conference regular season titles, 2 conference tournament titles

Team 2: NIT champion, 0 NCAA tournament appearances, 0 conference regular season titles, 0 conference tournament titles
2005 PonyFans.com Rookie of the Year Award Recipient
East Coast Mustang

Postby Charleston Pony » Fri Mar 31, 2017 6:37 am

Bottom line in all of this is that we are 3 years ahead of TCU in terms of the development of our basketball programs. Congrats to them for doing something we could not, i.e., winning the NIT but the way I look at it we still played the same number of games in our NIT year and losing may have made our guys a little hungrier in the off-season as we did come back and sweep the AAC crowns the following year. I do remember thinking how cool it would have been if Coach Brown could have added a NIT Title to his NCAA & NBA Titles, but I guess it just wasn't meant to be.

TCU is our main rival and while I generally have a hard time pulling for them, I've had friends and business acquaintances who attended TCU and as I've aged I suppose I've mellowed so I'm not into the "I hate TCU" thing (or anyone else we play for that matter). Do I want to kick their [deleted] every time we play? Of course I do, but while SMU sports are one of my main sources of entertainment, I accept that these are just games and that win or lose, there are more important things in life and hopefully (at my age) life goes on.

I accept the fact that TCU is way ahead of us in football but I still have hope we can "catch up" and I also acknowledge that as early as next year, they are very soon going to be a formidable opponent on the hardwood. As another old timer who lived through our death, I'm just happy that SMU basketball and football are competitive once again. And...for LA's benefit, I'm Scott Ferson, Class of 1974 (back in the good old SWC days)
Charleston Pony

Postby ALEX LIFESON » Fri Mar 31, 2017 7:12 am

I always pull against the frogs.
ALEX LIFESON

Postby mrydel » Fri Mar 31, 2017 7:46 am

As do I.
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

Postby Top Twenty » Fri Mar 31, 2017 8:10 am

Me, too. With a passion.
Top Twenty
Junior Varsity

Postby PonyPlayer4 » Fri Mar 31, 2017 8:56 am

LA_Mustang wrote:I'm Chris Hope class of 1996. Can you tell me why I'm a puppet? I bet you will never give your name and grad year. But I'm the puppet

You called yourself a puppet, not me.
PonyPlayer4
Hall of Famer

Postby 1983 Cotton Bowl » Fri Mar 31, 2017 9:01 am

Just anecdotally, I live in Fort Worth. And when you live in Fort Worth, all you hear about is the Frogs. Half the people I know are TCU grads and, unlike with Dallas and SMU, Fort Worth as a community is EXTREMELY supportive of all things TCU, especially athletics.

Having said that, I'm surprised at how little I've heard about the Frog's NIT run. It just didn't seem to be really on the radar for very many people. I heard a couple of guys talking about the win over UCF the other day, but beyond that. . .not much. I frankly would have suspected Fort Worth would be going bananas over this. But it will take awhile to reprogram the Frog faithful. They still view football as the king.

But make no mistake, TCU has finally, after many, many failed attempts, gotten serious about their basketball program. They have new facilities, a very good head coach, a strong conference, and now an NIT championship to sell. You can expect that TCU will give us a run for our money for the foreseeable future. Just like we want to emulate their success in football, they want to emulate ours in basketball. And TCU has the resources and community support to do it. Those are just the facts. Get used to it. Next year's game at TCU will be tough.
1983 Cotton Bowl
Heisman

Postby sadderbudweiser » Fri Mar 31, 2017 9:20 am

If we can't beat the guys down the block how can we beat a final four level team? Better yet....let's see them on the opposite side of the draw at the final four. A rising tide lifts all boats....(apologies to Tide Pony)

Damn the off-season around here is waay harder than the regular season. :lol:
Party at The Wopper!
sadderbudweiser

PreviousNext

Return to Basketball