PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

More press from cbs sports

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: More press from cbs sports

Postby ericdickerson4life » Tue Mar 14, 2017 8:57 am

My gut tells me he's not walking without SMU putting out a serious offer to keep him. So if he left his reason for leaving would be out of SMU's control thus nothing we can do about and nothing to worry about.
ericdickerson4life
Heisman

Postby Bergermeister » Tue Mar 14, 2017 9:23 am

Grant McCasland on deck? Successful, quality experience, local guy, young, good recruiter.
Bergermeister
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Grant Carter » Tue Mar 14, 2017 9:52 am

Bergermeister wrote:Grant McCasland on deck? Successful, quality experience, local guy, young, good recruiter.

He just got a new job.
Grant Carter
Hall of Famer

Postby PonyLawExpress » Tue Mar 14, 2017 10:34 am

Guy on CBS just picked us to go to the Final Four. He also picked Marquette to beat Duke..Rothstein in response thinks that we will lose in the first round to USC.
PonyLawExpress
Heisman

Postby deucetz » Tue Mar 14, 2017 10:45 am

oilpony wrote:Dear God, people. The tournament has not started and people are already worried if Jank is leaving. Enjoy the moment for what it is.

He has pretty much been a life long assistant beyond UNT and Illinois State. If we give him a competitive Salary, I don't seem him leaving. Why leave for a program that could fire you in 2-3 years if you don't produce. Does he really want to start over at the age of 57. He has the program running smoothly, the program will continue to produce with him here.

I feel SMU will pony up. NCAA Basketball is the best revenue sport for us. We actually can be competitive with P5 programs. The competitive advantage isn't that large in basketball as compared to football. Just keep recruiting and winning.
deucetz
All-American

Postby Phxfan » Tue Mar 14, 2017 10:47 am

SMU Section F wrote:
gostangs wrote:Jankovich - who could be up for a bigger job after next week???? WTF? screw you CBS.

Huh? I don't want him to leave either, but he's definitely gonna be looked at very closely by anyone in need.

It's my understanding that Morris turned down Baylor at near $25M, 5 Yr.s. One of your biggest donors is worth $50B, + the Hunts and God only knows who else? My hunch SMU can match nearly anyone.
Phxfan
All-American

Postby PonyLawExpress » Tue Mar 14, 2017 10:55 am

Jank isn't leaving to go to NCST or someone like that. He is 57 and waited 4 years to be the HC. He doesn't want to start over at a total rebuild for a little more money, while we are setup to win for the next few years and more if he stays. He loves Dallas, so does his family hoops is not like football where you have to go to a P5. See UConn, Cincy and now us.

If a blue blood came calling or MAYBE KSU then it could become a problem, but outside that I'm not worried. SMU is a good basketball job right now and we will pay him easily as much as a low-mid level P5 can.
PonyLawExpress
Heisman

Postby StallionsModelT » Tue Mar 14, 2017 11:09 am

He isn't leaving. Family loves Dallas and he has this thing humming in year one. Jank absolutely loves SMU.
Back off Warchild seriously.
StallionsModelT

Postby sadderbudweiser » Tue Mar 14, 2017 12:14 pm

PonyLawExpress wrote:Guy on CBS just picked us to go to the Final Four. He also picked Marquette to beat Duke..Rothstein in response thinks that we will lose in the first round to USC.

Pete Gillen. Hate him as an announcer but he's obviously been watching while spewing that Brooklyn accent so, in the future, I will tolerate him.
Party at The Wopper!
sadderbudweiser

Postby Pony81 » Tue Mar 14, 2017 1:21 pm

I'd like to know which of our donors is worth $50 Billion. Was Putin class of '75? Not sure many people who make a clean living are worth 50B.

Heck I'd settle for a donor worth $5B.
Pony 81
Pony81
Heisman

Postby Chnash318 » Wed Mar 15, 2017 12:13 am

PonyLawExpress wrote:Guy on CBS just picked us to go to the Final Four. He also picked Marquette to beat Duke..Rothstein in response thinks that we will lose in the first round to USC.

That's surprising. I feel like Jon Rothstein loves himself some SMU. He's been one our most vocal supporters on Twitter.
Chnash318
Junior Varsity

Postby sadderbudweiser » Wed Mar 15, 2017 6:30 am

PonySnob wrote:
Stallion wrote:All P5 teams start 45-150 Million ahead of a school like SMU-to keep him you have to have alumni willing to make some of that up. No telling where the bidding ends-depends on Tourney victory? What about Sweet 16? Afraid to contemplate his projected salary if SMU got farther

Higher than HCCM?

Question:

Do the top hoops coaches make more than the football coaches at their schools?
Do coaches at "basketball schools" make more? I wonder what the breakdown is at various levels. I'll throw a few out there:

Duke?
North Carolina?
Indiana?
Syracuse?
UCONN?
cincy?

I honestly have no idea.
Party at The Wopper!
sadderbudweiser

Postby b_caesar » Wed Mar 15, 2017 10:13 am

sadderbudweiser wrote:
PonySnob wrote:
Stallion wrote:All P5 teams start 45-150 Million ahead of a school like SMU-to keep him you have to have alumni willing to make some of that up. No telling where the bidding ends-depends on Tourney victory? What about Sweet 16? Afraid to contemplate his projected salary if SMU got farther

Higher than HCCM?

Question:

Do the top hoops coaches make more than the football coaches at their schools?
Do coaches at "basketball schools" make more? I wonder what the breakdown is at various levels. I'll throw a few out there:

Duke?
North Carolina?
Indiana?
Syracuse?
UCONN?
cincy?

I honestly have no idea.

Here are a couple of articles I found on the topic:

http://www.thebestschools.org/features/ ... e-coaches/

http://thefieldsofgreen.com/2014/11/24/ ... -dantonio/
Don't worry. Be Happy. Or not.
b_caesar
Heisman

Postby Whitwiki Pony » Wed Mar 15, 2017 10:26 am

Wow Kevin Ollie got paid after he won the championship
Whitwiki Pony
Scout Team

Postby Charleston Pony » Wed Mar 15, 2017 1:02 pm

It really is great that so many people who follow college basketball are recognizing SMU as a team with Final Four potential...especially given the fact we would have to get past Baylor, Duke and Villanova to get there.

I can't help but wonder what might have been if last year's team had not faced sanctions and had played in the Tourney. Coming off that heartbreaking loss to UCLA the year before (when we were set up to waltz into the Sweet 16), I expect that team would have played with a chip on their shoulders and could have done some real damage. Of course, this year's team might look very different but would still be returning to the Tourney with plenty of experience. That's the one thing I worry about, i.e., that only Sterling and Ben have any experience at this level of intensity. Since this team will live and die with the three, we are going to need Semi, Shake, Jarrey and probably GU to ALL be on so need to get rid of any "big game" jitters quickly.
Charleston Pony

PreviousNext

Return to Basketball