PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

More press from cbs sports

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

More press from cbs sports

Postby dr. rick » Mon Mar 13, 2017 1:19 pm

http://www.cbssports.com/college-basket ... -unlikely/

best 5 players:

5. Semi Ojeleye (SMU): Speaks to the talent in this region that I didn’t list Wisconsin’s Ethan Happ, Duke’s Grayson Allen, Villanova’s Jalen Brunson, South Carolina’s Sindarius Thornwell or Virginia’s London Perrantes. There is a lot of talent in this corner of the bracket, no doubt. But Ojeleye is extremely underrated. SMU has good talent across its starting five, with Ojeleye (18.9 ppg, 6.8 rpg) being the leader. I like SMU to get to the Sweet 16, and in doing so, give Ojeleye his national moment.

Upsets:

Another fun possible upset to watch for: Let’s jump ahead a round and declare SMU over Baylor. This would be an intra-Texas battle. The Bears have been roughed up in the NCAAs in recent seasons, remember. In 2016, Yale got ‘em. How does Yale outrebound Baylor, by the way?

https://youtu.be/atr60tR7Emo

Taurean Prince describes how Baylor was out-rebounded by Yale by NCAA march madness on YouTube
In 2015, this happened to Baylor.

https://youtu.be/OmcOo-bGJp0

Georgia State vs. Baylor: R.J. Hunter 3-pointer for the win by NCAA march madness on YouTube
I don’t think the Bears get picked off by New Mexico State (who is good, by the way), but SMU presents enough challenges in the starting lineup that I’m inclined to believe Baylor won’t make the Sweet 16.

The lowest-seeded school to make the Sweet 16 will be …

No. 6 SMU. Alongside Ojeleye, the Mustangs have talented senior Sterling Brown, a sophomore point guard in Shake Milton who is going to be a breakout player next season, and a good senior forward in Ben Moore. Tim Jankovich, who could be up for a bigger job in a week or so, has done well in his first season in charge of the program.

The player the country doesn’t know now but will know by Saturday is …

Semi Ojeleye. Unless you’re a college hoops hardcore, you don’t know him. The tournament changes everything. Ojeleye’s road to this point is interesting, too, because he used to play at Duke but transferred after not cracking the rotation.
dr. rick
Junior Varsity

Re: More press from cbs sports

Postby gostangs » Mon Mar 13, 2017 1:53 pm

Jankovich - who could be up for a bigger job after next week???? WTF? screw you CBS.
gostangs
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby PonySnob » Mon Mar 13, 2017 2:03 pm

gostangs wrote:Jankovich - who could be up for a bigger job after next week???? WTF? screw you CBS.

You don't think his phone will be ringing? Let's just home David Miller will get out his checkbook one more time.
Peruna is my mascot!
PonySnob

Postby SMU Section F » Mon Mar 13, 2017 2:07 pm

gostangs wrote:Jankovich - who could be up for a bigger job after next week???? WTF? screw you CBS.

Huh? I don't want him to leave either, but he's definitely gonna be looked at very closely by anyone in need.
SMU Section F
Heisman

Postby smupony94 » Mon Mar 13, 2017 2:08 pm

PonySnob wrote:

You don't think his phone will be ringing? Let's just home David Miller will get out his checkbook one more time.

P5 schools have already called.
smupony94

Postby Pony_Law » Mon Mar 13, 2017 2:13 pm

I'm pretty confident we are at least as good if not better job then any 2nd tier team in a power 5 conference. The only worries I have are true blue bloods (of which I list 4, UK, UNC, IU, KU, and UCLA). What can you do at NCST that you can't do more easily at SMU? What could you do at KSU that you can't do more easily at SMU?

Out of the 4 only coach in trouble is Creen at IU and even then I don't think Jank would be their top choice.
Pony_Law
Hall of Famer

Postby SMU Section F » Mon Mar 13, 2017 2:30 pm

Pony_Law wrote:What can you do at NCST that you can't do more easily at SMU?

Get into the NCAA tournament w/ a mediocre record. (For reference, see 2014 Selection Sunday.)

Pony_Law wrote:What could you do at KSU that you can't do more easily at SMU?

Coach at your alma mater, if you're Tim Jankovich.

I'm not saying I want him to leave, that I expect him to leave, or that he should leave, but I do think the next few years will bring both Jank and SMU some very tough decisions.
SMU Section F
Heisman

Postby SMU_Alum11 » Mon Mar 13, 2017 2:44 pm

I guess the fan in me would be a little surprise to see Tim leave, but hopefully the attention is more of a bargaining chip to get more (well deserved) resources for the program. I agree with others that it would be a head scratcher for Tim to leave for a mid-tier P5 conference. I think it really depends on how we do in tourney play. If we lose first round, I don't think he will get the big offers, but if we get to the sweet 16 or elite 8 then I would be nervous that he would get some really nice offers.
Insert "this is fine" GIF
SMU_Alum11
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Bergermeister » Mon Mar 13, 2017 2:55 pm

Jank and his family like Dallas and like SMU. Son is successful at Jesuit. Just keep doubling his salary and arrange admission for children.
Bergermeister

Postby Stallion » Mon Mar 13, 2017 2:57 pm

All P5 teams start 45-150 Million ahead of a school like SMU-to keep him you have to have alumni willing to make some of that up. No telling where the bidding ends-depends on Tourney victory? What about Sweet 16? Afraid to contemplate his projected salary if SMU got farther
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby PonySnob » Mon Mar 13, 2017 7:11 pm

Stallion wrote:All P5 teams start 45-150 Million ahead of a school like SMU-to keep him you have to have alumni willing to make some of that up. No telling where the bidding ends-depends on Tourney victory? What about Sweet 16? Afraid to contemplate his projected salary if SMU got farther

Higher than HCCM?
Peruna is my mascot!
PonySnob

Postby Treadway21 » Mon Mar 13, 2017 7:19 pm

5 tournament matchups every college basketball fan should be excited for
by Dylan Perego

4. (2) Duke vs. (6) SMU (Sweet 16 - East Region)

http://www.thescore.com/ncaab/news/1253391-5-tournament-matchups-every-college-basketball-fan-should-be-excited-for
An atheist is a guy who watches a Notre Dame-SMU football game and
doesn't care who wins.
-- Dwight D. Eisenhower
Treadway21

Postby oilpony » Mon Mar 13, 2017 8:23 pm

Dear God, people. The tournament has not started and people are already worried if Jank is leaving. Enjoy the moment for what it is.
oilpony
All-American

Postby gostangs » Mon Mar 13, 2017 8:50 pm

its being discussed due to CBS bringing it up. Its a valid conversation point at this point in the season.
gostangs

Postby SMUstangs22 » Mon Mar 13, 2017 8:56 pm

Shouldnt be a discussion. Ball should be in our court
SMUstangs22
Hall of Famer

Next

Return to Basketball