PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Things to be Thankful For

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Things to be Thankful For

Postby SMUstang07 » Mon Mar 13, 2017 2:36 pm

Sure people are mad about the 6 seed, having the highest ranked KenPom #3 seed, and being on the same side as Duke/Nova - but there is much to be thankful for in this bracket:

1. Playing in Tulsa. Love being so close. We better show up big.
2. Avoiding teams like Wichita St, Middle Tenn and Okie St in the first round
3. Getting a Friday game
4. Just making the Tourney at all. Let's enjoy it now that they have been so kind as to let us in.
SMUstang07
Varsity

Re: Things to be Thankful For

Postby SMU Section F » Mon Mar 13, 2017 2:46 pm

Personally I love our draw. Do I think we deserve better than a 6-seed? Sure. But when you ignore the number and focus on the situation, things look pretty damn good.

The AAC will never get much respect from the committee until we start winning games in the tournament. A single (albeit excellent) run by UConn in 2014 is too easily written off as a "fluke".
Last edited by SMU Section F on Mon Mar 13, 2017 4:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SMU Section F
Heisman

Postby hoopmanx » Mon Mar 13, 2017 3:02 pm

I'm thankful for the quality of our on court product. These guy are brothers, great representatives, but in Larrys words, they play the right way. My oldest daughter is a hoops possessed and very good for 9. She watches all the games. this team via their selflessness, heart and effort, gave great example. They play winning basketball b/c they share and buy in. Its like a masterclass
hoopmanx
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby smitty329 » Mon Mar 13, 2017 3:15 pm

Bourbon and Cigars
smitty329
All-American

Postby JoeKidd » Mon Mar 13, 2017 3:16 pm

Agreed, seeing our 6 in action is basketball at its highest form....making the extra pass, moving without the ball, defensive and rebounding positioning....its all a thing of beauty to watch.
#1 Day At A Time
JoeKidd
Heisman

Postby Rebel10 » Mon Mar 13, 2017 3:26 pm

SMUstang07 wrote:4. Just making the Tourney at all.

We won the automatic bid. You kind of make it sound like we were a bubble team and are just thankful they picked us. Also this team has higher aspirations than just making it in the tournament which I like.
#HammerDown
Rebel10
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Rebel10 » Mon Mar 13, 2017 3:31 pm

SMU Section F wrote:The AAC will never get much respect from the committee until we start winning games in the conference. A single (albeit excellent) run by UConn in 2014 is too easily written off as a "fluke".

We only lost one game in conference to Cincinnati. I would say we are winning games in conference.
#HammerDown
Rebel10

Postby mrydel » Mon Mar 13, 2017 4:22 pm

Rebel10 wrote:
SMU Section F wrote:The AAC will never get much respect from the committee until we start winning games in the conference. A single (albeit excellent) run by UConn in 2014 is too easily written off as a "fluke".

We only lost one game in conference to Cincinnati. I would say we are winning games in conference.

He obviously means the conference teams winning games, and I will add, winning games against decent competition and the tournament.
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

Postby Rebel10 » Mon Mar 13, 2017 4:23 pm

Okay gotcha.
#HammerDown
Rebel10

Postby SMU Section F » Mon Mar 13, 2017 4:38 pm

mrydel wrote:
Rebel10 wrote:

He obviously means the conference teams winning games, and I will add, winning games against decent competition and the tournament.

Yeah, that was supposed to say "tournament" not "conference". My bad.
SMU Section F
Heisman

Return to Basketball