PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

SMU is Going To the Final Four: SBNation

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: SMU is Going To the Final Four: SBNation

Postby sadderbudweiser » Tue Mar 14, 2017 5:54 pm

Random thoughts and observations:

One game at a time is a mantra for the players and coaches and they know it. They will prepare and play game to game as they have all year.

We, on the other hand, should be permitted to dream, to think big and to enjoy this time like no other.
This is what we've begged for all along and for one reason or another it hasn't happened. But it's that dream that keeps us coming back again and again.

Maybe this time we do make a deep run. We each have our own hopes and expectations. Personally I want to see them in MSG again.

For one game or two? I'll leave that to the team because they are the ones taking it one game at a time.... and in one game... any game against anyone..... I like our chances.

Stay healthy guys and enjoy the ride.
Party at The Wopper!
sadderbudweiser
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby SMU_Alum11 » Tue Mar 14, 2017 6:13 pm

I definitely think we are either in the toughest or 2nd toughest bracket having to go up against Nova and Duke. Obviously, take this game by game, but if we do get to Duke and beat them, talk about huge achievement and rep for the conference. I believe these guys can do it better than any team in the bracket. They just need to come out like they did against Cincy. Dominate!
Insert "this is fine" GIF
SMU_Alum11
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby sadderbudweiser » Tue Mar 14, 2017 6:29 pm

SMU_Alum11 wrote:I definitely think we are either in the toughest or 2nd toughest bracket having to go up against Nova and Duke. Obviously, take this game by game, but if we do get to Duke and beat them, talk about huge achievement and rep for the conference. I believe these guys can do it better than any team in the bracket. They just need to come out like they did against Cincy. Dominate!

I really like our bracket. We have a chance to
1) avenge one of this year's losses
2) beat an old and despised SWC RIVAL
3) possibly play and beat Duke at MSG: are you kidding me?
The ultimate opponent at the best possible venue.
4) eliminate last year's champion.

Obviously there is a lot that has to play out for that to happen but it can happen.

And if these guys seize the moment three or four more times SMU BASKETBALL will be on the national map for years to come.

By choice I'll tap my own brakes somewhere between here and MSG.

BUT whatever happens I'm proud of this team and proud to be a Mustang

This is awesome.
Party at The Wopper!
sadderbudweiser

Postby Topper » Tue Mar 14, 2017 7:44 pm

We should have been a 4 seed and have as much of a chance as anyone. But the NCAAs can be cruel as we all know. I see holding on to Jank as crucial to our long term success in which case I see us being a regular tournament participant. The more times you show up the better your chances of getting to the Final Four.
Topper
Hall of Famer

Postby sadderbudweiser » Tue Mar 14, 2017 8:31 pm

And that's why it would be so great to take advantage of this draw. We get knocked around for lack of Quality wins. What better answer than to knock off three teams who were #1 at some point this past season.

As someone else said: respect is earned.
Party at The Wopper!
sadderbudweiser

Postby Charleston Pony » Tue Mar 14, 2017 8:39 pm

sadderbudweiser wrote:And that's why it would be so great to take advantage of this draw. We get knocked around for lack of Quality wins. What better answer than to knock off three teams who were #1 at some point this past season.

As someone else said: respect is earned.

Absolutely! If we go one and done, all the "experts" out there that think the AAC is inferior competition and that our record is inflated have a big fat "told you so". Our seeding and draw sets up beautifully if this team is as good as we hope they are.
Charleston Pony

Postby Rebel10 » Fri Mar 17, 2017 6:19 pm

Charleston Pony wrote:Agreed. A UCLA type repeat this year could be really devastating for some Pony Fans

Good prognostication.
#HammerDown
Rebel10

Previous

Return to Basketball