PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Oy, Oy, Oy

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Oy, Oy, Oy

Postby Terry Webster » Tue Mar 14, 2017 4:39 pm

Got a question for those ponyfans who know more than me. While I believe we added by subtraction with our Aussies leaving, I was wondering what you think would have happened had they stayed for the year. Do you think that Jenk and crew could have worked things out with them? Would having 9 deep made any difference for us? Would they have caused more problems than helped? Just wondering.
Terry Webster
PonyFans.com Legend

Re: Oy, Oy, Oy

Postby deucetz » Tue Mar 14, 2017 4:44 pm

Our team's conditioning would be worse. One aspect that makes this group really special is our conditioning. We don't have a drop off when they other team subs.
deucetz
All-American

Postby SmooBoy » Tue Mar 14, 2017 4:52 pm

I tend to believe we would not have been as good, shoehorning them in here and there. Some things we will never know, such as how the 2015-16 team would have fared in the Tourney.

And it's ok.
SmooBoy
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby ponywhupp9202 » Tue Mar 14, 2017 5:12 pm

I've thought about this a little as well. I've been to every home game except for 2 this year and watched every away game except for one, and I do not think I missed a game with the Aussies.

I tend to think we would have figured it out eventually, but would have lost some more games along the way. I am guessing Fro has more upside than Wilson, but they were both (especially Froling) showing signs of improvement. He certainly would not fit into our current 5 wing scheme and it seemed like the chemistry was never that great for some reason. While he showed signs of nice footwork and touch with the ball at times, he was terribly slow, overweight, and I'm pretty sure I currently have a higher vertical (and I need arch reconstruction surgery on my left foot). Had he continued to get 5-15 minutes per game (and stayed) it certainly would have payed some dividends next season, but we'll never know what could have been.

Also, if Fro were taking legitimate minutes from Semi or Ben Moore, or Wilson from Shake/Sterling/Jarrey that would have been really bad. There are a few games where we could have used Froling in the middle, especially to take some of the foul burden off our starting 6, but ultimately I'm not sure he would have produced as well on either side of the ball as either of the people he would have subbed for.
Last edited by ponywhupp9202 on Tue Mar 14, 2017 5:18 pm, edited 3 times in total.
ponywhupp9202
Varsity

Postby SMU15 » Tue Mar 14, 2017 5:13 pm

I agree that our conditioning has improved. Look at the Cincinnati game last year where Sterling got ejected. We were concerned since we only had 6 scholarship players left and every one looked gassed at the end. Shake and Nic played the entire game essentially. This season, we've played 6 guys basically every game and they don't look fatigued.
"And as long as they're keeping score, there will always be people who try to do everything they can to put up more points than the other guy." -Brent Musberger
SMU15
Varsity

Postby gostangs » Tue Mar 14, 2017 5:33 pm

I think the biggest issue is when you have a 6/11 guy standing in the middle at the key - you feel like you have to run something in there, plus you have to wait for him to come down the floor.

Now we don't even pretend. We stand at perimeter - come out and we are going in. stay in and we will be raining on you. I don't think we could be as big an issue with fro - his offense is the same ol thing and now we are hard to defend.
gostangs

Postby bubba pony » Tue Mar 14, 2017 5:45 pm

I saw Fro play in NYC early in the season and he was pushed around by opponents not as large (heavy) as him. he was not aggressive. In Australian High School, he must have looked powerful and dominate against smaller players, he was out of his league in NCAA level basketball.
bubba pony
Heisman

Postby sadderbudweiser » Tue Mar 14, 2017 6:42 pm

bubba pony wrote:I saw Fro play in NYC early in the season and he was pushed around by opponents not as large (heavy) as him. he was not aggressive. In Australian High School, he must have looked powerful and dominate against smaller players, he was out of his league in NCAA level basketball.

Exactly what I saw. I think we got really lucky when they bailed. Thankfully Jank was able to adjust and our current style of play, both offensive and defensive, was born.

We are far better without them and would not be where we are today if Froling stayed. Wilson wouldn't have mattered... he would have sat right next to Leo. Happy to have that scholarship back.
Party at The Wopper!
sadderbudweiser

Postby Bergermeister » Tue Mar 14, 2017 6:59 pm

sadderbudweiser wrote: We are far better without them and would not be where we are today.

far better
Bergermeister

Postby sadderbudweiser » Tue Mar 14, 2017 7:10 pm

Bergermeister wrote:
sadderbudweiser wrote: We are far better without them and would not be where we are today.

far better

Fa-fa-fa-fa-fa-fa-fa-fa-fa-far better
Run run run run run run run away oh oh....
Party at The Wopper!
sadderbudweiser

Postby SMUstangs22 » Tue Mar 14, 2017 7:29 pm

I think the move was better for both parties. Lets not kid ourselves, IF he gets into shape he will fit in well with his new team. However, not sure he fits what Jank likes other than shooting. Even that was spotty to start. I won't be surprised if we see updates in the future with him doong well. I will still believe it was best for both
SMUstangs22
Hall of Famer

Postby 1983 Cotton Bowl » Tue Mar 14, 2017 7:33 pm

Do I detect a not-so-subtle tribute to AC/DC's vintage tune "TNT" in the title of this thread?
1983 Cotton Bowl
Heisman

Postby mustangxc » Tue Mar 14, 2017 7:44 pm

This season we are definitely much better without the excess baggage. Going forward to next season and beyond, I think we will miss what he could have brought to the table.
mustangxc

Postby skyscraper » Tue Mar 14, 2017 8:22 pm

Fatty would've stayed fat and we wouldn't be near the team we became.
skyscraper

Postby sadderbudweiser » Tue Mar 14, 2017 8:26 pm

mustangxc wrote:This season we are definitely much better without the excess baggage. Going forward to next season and beyond, I think we will miss what he could have brought to the table.

We'll find out. Marquette is on the tube plenty. But yes... we still need some bigs. But this year shines a little different light on the need. Can we do Ben Moore again?
Party at The Wopper!
sadderbudweiser

Next

Return to Basketball