PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Thoughts: So painful, again

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Thoughts: So painful, again

Postby PonyLawExpress » Fri Mar 17, 2017 5:12 pm

Charleston Pony wrote:
jimhagle wrote:Sure looked like we wore down at the end. A deeper bench by USC helped them a lot.

that was a concern coming in and the early pace had me concerned, despite our lead. Intense bball for 40 minutes except those we controlled on offense. This loss hurts, but as someone pointed out: 67 of the 68 teams in this tourney will have their seasons and/or careers end in hearbreak

Yeah, but when you haven't won a tourney game in 28 years it would be nice to at least win one.
PonyLawExpress
Heisman

Postby Topper » Fri Mar 17, 2017 5:13 pm

Seniors were great this year, great at home and Tulsa. Shots didn't fall, USC is a very quick team and they played up to the challenge. Good teams go down in the first round. Happens. Could we have played better? Of course. I didn't see a lack of effort but we seemed to be misfiring by a half step all along and you can't do that against a team with their ability. We have some talent coming in and we need to build on what we have. We have the right to play with attitude. Can't wait till next year. The more quickly we become a fixture at the NCAA Tournament the more shots we have to move on to the Final Four.
Topper
Hall of Famer

Postby mtrout » Fri Mar 17, 2017 5:24 pm

We'll win a tourney game when we sniff a ranking in football. We were #11 and were a 6seed. An ncaa win will come but it will never be easy.
mtrout
Hall of Famer

Postby SMUer » Fri Mar 17, 2017 5:42 pm

Doomed to a 6-seed at best until we win
SMUer
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby SMUstangs22 » Fri Mar 17, 2017 5:46 pm

How about we win a freaking favored game before we complain about the seed! So SMU
SMUstangs22
Hall of Famer

Postby SMU Section F » Fri Mar 17, 2017 5:54 pm

SMUer wrote:Doomed to a 6-seed at best until we win

Hard to complain about "lack of respect for the AAC" when our seasons end in the first round. The spark is out of March Madness for me, but hopefully Cincinnati can put something together.
SMU Section F
Heisman

Postby mustangxc » Fri Mar 17, 2017 6:30 pm

I have said it and I will say it again. I will take a 5th place finish in our conference if it means we make it to the NCAA tournament and win some games in the tournament. I would much rather have a Sweet Sixteen appearance than sweeping conference championships. When we keep losing early in the tournament it makes our conference championships mean less.
mustangxc

Postby ericdickerson4life » Fri Mar 17, 2017 7:11 pm

We [deleted] ourselves. Our conference will continue to get no respect. Doesn't matter how many wins we pile up at this point. Have to win games that actually matter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ericdickerson4life
Heisman

Postby PonyLawExpress » Fri Mar 17, 2017 7:13 pm

ericdickerson4life wrote:We [deleted] ourselves. Our conference will continue to get no respect. Doesn't matter how many wins we pile up at this point. Have to win games that actually matter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sadly this is true. You won't get national respect until you start winning tourney games.. It was such a great season, but we still have that 28 year drought..

The future is still bright, but we have blown opportunities the past 3 years for different reasons to be able to establish ourselves as a national power here to stay. Don't want to end up like BU football (not talking about the sexual assault stuff) that had a few conference titles, but could never get anything done on the national stage.
PonyLawExpress
Heisman

Postby JasonB » Fri Mar 17, 2017 10:03 pm

One thing about the 2-3 zone. You have to be able to go in and out. Without a true post, we get around it by having Ben at the free throw line and he is a fantastic passing big who opens things up. They went to the 2-3 when he had to sit, and Semi s not near as good a passer and didn't show at the free throw line. That is what made the offense stagnant. It is the problem with not having depth inside.
JasonB

Thoughts: So painful, again

Postby PonySnob » Fri Mar 17, 2017 10:05 pm

mustangxc wrote:I have said it and I will say it again. I will take a 5th place finish in our conference if it means we make it to the NCAA tournament and win some games in the tournament. I would much rather have a Sweet Sixteen appearance than sweeping conference championships. When we keep losing early in the tournament it makes our conference championships mean less.

Hard to ever see a 5th place AAC team getting into the NCAA tournament

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Peruna is my mascot!
PonySnob

Postby Rebel10 » Fri Mar 17, 2017 10:09 pm

PonySnob wrote:
mustangxc wrote:I have said it and I will say it again. I will take a 5th place finish in our conference if it means we make it to the NCAA tournament and win some games in the tournament. I would much rather have a Sweet Sixteen appearance than sweeping conference championships. When we keep losing early in the tournament it makes our conference championships mean less.

I don't think the 5th place AAC team even made the NIT this year.
#HammerDown
Rebel10

Postby 78pony » Fri Mar 17, 2017 10:23 pm

They took it to us physically in the 2nd half. We had some poor decisions. We missed 6 footers by a foot. Their deeper bench allows for more aggression. We got out coached. And we didn't have a good play at the end nor a Nic Moore that wanted to take it all.
78pony
Heisman

Postby mustangxc » Fri Mar 17, 2017 10:25 pm

PonySnob wrote:

It happened in 2013-14, but we were left out.
mustangxc

Postby Rebel10 » Fri Mar 17, 2017 10:32 pm

mustangxc wrote:
PonySnob wrote:

It happened in 2013-14, but we were left out.

One whole year. Wow.
#HammerDown
Rebel10

Previous

Return to Basketball