PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Jank

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Jank

Postby sacklunch » Fri Mar 17, 2017 5:27 pm

Let me preface this by saying we won 30 games this year and that says something, but.... I've got a hot spots opinion and I've had it all season....

Jank is a horrible in game coach. Great at practice, great at game prep, good recruiter. But there doesn't seem to be much happening during the games.

We have come back from deficits before, but it has never been coaching or scheme...is been our athleticism and player's heart and hustle that have helped us come back during adversity

We have always all season come out of timeouts and stoppages ice cold. No play and no offense and that couldn't have been more evident today.

First half energy was OKAY. Second half was zero energy, sloppy, and more glaring was the lack of offense. Jank had no adjustments to try and break the zone. We just passed the ball around the perimeter and chucked up bad shots.

The last two minutes of the game was nothing different. We flat out looked lost out there and had several bad possessions back to back.

I understand the strategy to let your guys play through when they are playing well. But we weren't playing well.

God forbid we call a timeout and draw up a play to get Semi a good shot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
sacklunch
Varsity

Re: Jank

Postby SMU Section F » Fri Mar 17, 2017 5:53 pm

I disagree completely, for reasons that have been covered comprehensively in the threads about Jank from prior to this afternoon.

One bad day - no matter when it is - does not a bad coach make. Sterling stepping out of bounds does not make him a bad player. Ben missing a free throw does not make him a "choker". Jank is a good (maybe great) coach. Sterling and Ben are two of the best players ever to wear our uniform. They all made very bad mistakes today, but they are still great Mustangs.

If he stays the coach he is today, I want him around forever. Full stop.
SMU Section F
Heisman

Postby sacklunch » Fri Mar 17, 2017 5:58 pm

We have had multiple bad stretches on offense but we have our hustled our opponents to overcome it

We were flat out unprepared for this entire game and that is on Jank. We flat out made zero adjustments on offense

sacklunch
Varsity

Postby Insane_Pony_Posse » Fri Mar 17, 2017 6:03 pm

i think it would be tough for us to do better than Jank at this juncture

lets not jump off the cliff over this loss
C-ya @ Milos!
Insane_Pony_Posse
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby SMUstangs22 » Fri Mar 17, 2017 6:18 pm

Lol at it being Jank. Hit 2 FT or not step out of bounds and we are singing praises
SMUstangs22
Hall of Famer

Postby mr. pony » Fri Mar 17, 2017 6:20 pm

Guy looks like Jack Lord, no?
mr. pony
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby mustangxc » Fri Mar 17, 2017 6:26 pm

SMH
mustangxc
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby sacklunch » Fri Mar 17, 2017 6:26 pm

Insane_Pony_Posse wrote:i think it would be tough for us to do better than Jank at this juncture

I don't disagree

sacklunch
Varsity

Postby sacklunch » Fri Mar 17, 2017 6:28 pm

SMUstangs22 wrote:Lol at it being Jank. Hit 2 FT or not step out of bounds and we are singing praises

Had we been better prepared none of that would have mattered

sacklunch
Varsity

Postby PonyLawExpress » Fri Mar 17, 2017 6:29 pm

sacklunch wrote:
Insane_Pony_Posse wrote:i think it would be tough for us to do better than Jank at this juncture

I don't disagree

I still think Jank did a great job this season and is a good fit for us, just wasn't his best game and wasn't helped by just some bad plays down the stretch.
PonyLawExpress
Heisman

Postby Pony_Law » Fri Mar 17, 2017 6:30 pm

It's so many thing in a game that costs you. Ben E missed 3 good look 3s, Jarrey and one dunk not falling etc.
Pony_Law
Hall of Famer

Postby edwa » Fri Mar 17, 2017 6:32 pm

Would've liked to seem some adjustments when faced with the zone but can hardly have complaints for jank, was a great year for SMU basketball and aslong as i see the same kind of effort next year ill be completely happy with jank.
edwa
Junior Varsity

Postby tristatecoog » Fri Mar 17, 2017 6:43 pm

With only six players, I thought Jank did quite well this year. Down the stretch against UH, and a tight officiating crew, he dialed it up offensively and it paid off.
tristatecoog
Hall of Famer

Postby gostangs » Fri Mar 17, 2017 6:48 pm

Jank did great all year but laid an egg today. No adjustments to the zone. The no time out call with 16 seconds left down by 1 is one of the most baffling coaching moves i have EVER seen in college basketball. Its not like we were humming along. We just lost the lead for the ONLY time of the game, and you want to just let them play junk ball again instead of working a play? CRAZY.
gostangs

Postby skyscraper » Fri Mar 17, 2017 6:50 pm

Good coach, not a great final half. Both can be true.
skyscraper

Next

Return to Basketball