PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Jank

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Jank

Postby JasonB » Fri Mar 17, 2017 9:56 pm

Jank made a mistake not calling a timeout.

Outside of that we lost because:
- At the end of the first half we started missing open threes and lost our confidence
- We couldn't hit shots to put USC away, and every time they came back and hit a three.
- In the first half we missed open threes, they missed open corners three. The second half they made those open shots.
- When Ben got in foul trouble and had to sit, USC switched to a 2-3 zone and we didn't have anyone show at the foul line. We swung the ball around the perimeter and never broke it down and were stagnant. Semi showed once and scored. But outside of that it didn't happen.
- Once Ben and Semi got 3 fouls, USC went at us hard and got a bunch of easy, uncontested buckets.
- Shake shrunk from the limelight and our seniors made pretty much their first mistakes all season.

It wasn't our day. We screwed up the last play by not calling timeout. But we didn't lose because of Jank.
JasonB
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby EastStang » Fri Mar 17, 2017 10:17 pm

After it was clear that they stayed in zone and we were bricking threes and Coach J adjusted to more inside plays. We didn't hit the free throws down the stretch. And in close games free throws win and lose games. Their guys rarely missed. Maybe next year.
UNC better keep that Ram away from Peruna
EastStang

Postby jpe747 » Sat Mar 18, 2017 3:48 am

EastStang wrote:After it was clear that they stayed in zone and we were bricking threes and Coach J adjusted to more inside plays. We didn't hit the free throws down the stretch. And in close games free throws win and lose games. Their guys rarely missed. Maybe next year.

Jank is playing with 6 guys. (As I stated somewhere else) Jank has no true big's, no true Point guards against a very good team. When USC went into a zone game they changed the game. SMU needed at least one true big (probably two) to beat the zone. Had I been coaching against SMU I would have gone with a zone from any game in the year. I don't know why anyone would play SMU man to man. Jank did an amazing job with what he had. I WOULD HAVE PICKED HIM AS COACH OF THE YEAR. Oh I guess AAC feels the same way.
jpe747
Heisman

Postby jpe747 » Sat Mar 18, 2017 4:11 am

jpe747 wrote:
EastStang wrote:After it was clear that they stayed in zone and we were bricking threes and Coach J adjusted to more inside plays. We didn't hit the free throws down the stretch. And in close games free throws win and lose games. Their guys rarely missed. Maybe next year.

Jank is playing with 6 guys. (As I stated somewhere else) Jank has no true big's, no true Point guards against a very good team. When USC went into a zone game they changed the game. SMU needed at least one true big (probably two) to beat the zone. Had I been coaching against SMU I would have gone with a zone from any game in the year. I don't know why anyone would play SMU man to man. Jank did an amazing job with what he had. I WOULD HAVE PICKED HIM AS COACH OF THE YEAR. Oh I guess AAC feels the same way.

I said I would go in any game against SMU with a zone; I would mask a zone with a man to man. But I would start the game playing a mix defense. The fact that that didn't happen is a compliment to Jank.
jpe747
Heisman

Postby EastStang » Sat Mar 18, 2017 6:25 am

They had the length and speed to cover the 3s. That's where our lack of size hurt.
UNC better keep that Ram away from Peruna
EastStang

Postby PK » Sat Mar 18, 2017 9:44 am

JasonB wrote:Jank made a mistake not calling a timeout.

- At the end of the first half we started missing open threes and lost our confidence
- We couldn't hit shots to put USC away, and every time they came back and hit a three.
- In the first half we missed open threes, they missed open corners three. The second half they made those open shots.
- When Ben got in foul trouble and had to sit, USC switched to a 2-3 zone and we didn't have anyone show at the foul line. We swung the ball around the perimeter and never broke it down and were stagnant. Semi showed once and scored. But outside of that it didn't happen.
- Once Ben and Semi got 3 fouls, USC went at us hard and got a bunch of easy, uncontested buckets.
- Shake shrunk from the limelight and our seniors made pretty much their first mistakes all season.

It wasn't our day. We screwed up the last play by not calling timeout. But we didn't lose because of Jank.

Everyone talking about not taking a timeout at the end of the game is interesting. The radio crew said we were out of TOs. In fact they said it before USC made their last points and again as SMU was running the ball down for our last shot. You can't get on Jank for not calling a TO when he didn't have one left.
SMU's first president, Robert S. Hyer, selected Harvard Crimson and Yale Blue as SMU's colors to symbolize SMU's high academic standards. We are one of the few Universities to have school colors with real meaning...and we just blow them off.
PK

Postby JasonB » Sat Mar 18, 2017 9:48 am

Radio crew was wrong I think. In the stadium it showed us with 3 timeouts left if I recall.
JasonB

Postby PK » Sat Mar 18, 2017 10:04 am

JasonB wrote:Radio crew was wrong I think. In the stadium it showed us with 3 timeouts left if I recall.
They are usually pretty good about keeping up with things like that so maybe I just miss understood what they were saying, but the comment was made as it being a problem.
SMU's first president, Robert S. Hyer, selected Harvard Crimson and Yale Blue as SMU's colors to symbolize SMU's high academic standards. We are one of the few Universities to have school colors with real meaning...and we just blow them off.
PK

Postby PonySnob » Sat Mar 18, 2017 10:10 am

Scoreboard did show 3 timeouts
Peruna is my mascot!
PonySnob

Postby Rebel10 » Sat Mar 18, 2017 11:26 am

USC player said that two SMU players were arguing over who would take the last shot. So a timeout may have possibly helped. It is at the 13:01 minute mark in the video.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=atTNb7d6vF8
#HammerDown
Rebel10

Postby tristatecoog » Sat Mar 18, 2017 11:47 am

Painful video on the SMU side (after SC interview). Jank explains his no timeout philosophy, and he came across very well.
tristatecoog
Hall of Famer

Postby mustangxc » Sat Mar 18, 2017 12:28 pm

PK wrote:

Everyone talking about not taking a timeout at the end of the game is interesting. The radio crew said we were out of TOs. In fact they said it before USC made their last points and again as SMU was running the ball down for our last shot. You can't get on Jank for not calling a TO when he didn't have one left.

USC was out of timeouts. We had 3 left. Not taking a timeout backfired on him this time, but the thinking is if your guys know what to do it is better not to take a timeout so that the other team cannot properly set up their defense.
mustangxc

Postby Rebel10 » Sat Mar 18, 2017 12:33 pm

mustangxc wrote:
PK wrote:

USC was out of timeouts. We had 3 left. Not taking a timeout backfired on him this time, but the thinking is if your guys know what to do it is better not to take a timeout so that the other team cannot properly set up their defense.

What if your team is arguing about who takes the last shot? Just saying.
#HammerDown
Rebel10

Postby sacklunch » Sat Mar 18, 2017 12:51 pm

Should have called a timeout with about 2 minutes left

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
sacklunch
Varsity

Postby CalallenStang » Sat Mar 18, 2017 12:54 pm

He had a bad day. It happens. Just sucks that it happened in the tournament.
CalallenStang

PreviousNext

Return to Basketball