PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

On the Bright Side...

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: On the Bright Side...

Postby SMU Section F » Sat Mar 18, 2017 9:09 am

lollaperuna wrote:If Semi is leaving then why did we sit him last year?

So he'd have the option. Most people didn't anticipate the level of success he'd have this year either.

Though selfishly I'd love to see him stay, if he has a real shot at the NBA I hope he takes it.
SMU Section F
Heisman

Postby lollaperuna » Sat Mar 18, 2017 9:15 am

RGV Pony wrote:
CoxMustangFan wrote:I thought fan turnout was impressive. Great job to the many that made the trip.

Agree.

I also maintain that a good # of those fans were the casual fans we always aspire to engage (see football homecoming, for example). Getting them there = one step forward. Kicked in the nads yet again = two steps back.

I was blown away at the amount of SMU fans that made the trip and it was an amazing thing to witness. I saw a lot of surprised looks on KU and Baylor fans faces when we rocked that building. Agree that it was a huge step back and a kick, but still a positive that we actually do have the potential. I sat next to Shakes high school coach and he was on his feet cheering right with us.
lollaperuna
All-American

Postby Rebel10 » Sat Mar 18, 2017 9:16 am

Also since we were banned from post season play last year they asked a Semi to sit out the entire year since he was not eligible until December anyway.
#HammerDown
Rebel10
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby lollaperuna » Sat Mar 18, 2017 9:20 am

Rebel10 wrote:Also since we were banned from post season play last year they asked a Semi to sit out the entire year since he was not eligible until December anyway.

If Semi had joined the team in December then an undefeated season was a legitimate possibility. Wouldn't have changed our situation but sure would have heaped a ton of attention on us.
lollaperuna
All-American

Postby 1983 Cotton Bowl » Sat Mar 18, 2017 9:56 am

SMUstangs22 wrote:Eff the bright side. Not in the business of consolation prizes. Not everybody needs a trophy. We [deleted] up. Period

Well, I certainly don't want to sound like a loser who is "in the business of consolation prizes", but this has been the best year of SMU hoops I've ever seen. Just a really fun year rooting for a great group of guys. So many positives coming out of this season. Yesterday sucked, but let's please not start with the Gary Patterson "we don't do consolation prizes" nonsense. I live in FW and have to listen to that humorless bozo enough. I'm proud of this team!!!
1983 Cotton Bowl
Heisman

Postby Charleston Pony » Sat Mar 18, 2017 10:14 am

lollaperuna wrote:
Rebel10 wrote:Also since we were banned from post season play last year they asked a Semi to sit out the entire year since he was not eligible until December anyway.

If Semi had joined the team in December then an undefeated season was a legitimate possibility. Wouldn't have changed our situation but sure would have heaped a ton of attention on us.

Semi would not have been the same dominant player under LB who would have discouraged his taking threes. Hitting those long range bombs is what set him up for drives. Just can't play the "what if?" game because things would have been very different with Semi trying to mix in with last year's team. I will agree he could have added more depth and another quality player but who knows?
Charleston Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby lollaperuna » Sat Mar 18, 2017 6:45 pm

I disagree with the notion that Coach Brown wouldn't have let Semi shoot 3's. Shake shot quite a few 3's as a freshman and we all know that Nic always had a green light. Larry prefers the higher percentage inside game because the 3's don't always fall, but we shot plenty of 3's under him. Obviously we shot many more this year, but I think that was more due to a lack of big men. It worked very well for us until yesterday

We gave the undefeated season a pretty good shot last year and I believe Semi could have made it happen. Total conjecture.
lollaperuna
All-American

Previous

Return to Basketball