PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

No Timeouts

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: No Timeouts

Postby gostangs » Fri Mar 17, 2017 9:04 pm

mrydel - i love our team and i really like Jank. But you cannot believe he did a great job in this game. No adjustments, no timeouts. You pay your head coach to make the call under pressure when it counts. Watching us go down for the sixth time in a row and flail it up again was a joke. Its ok to point it out - thats part of sports.

Would i do better - no way. But then again i am not getting huge money to do better. He is.

Hope he sees this as a learning experience for us all - and comes out next year determined to do better. But that was a whiff of a game from the coaches seat - and i have never criticized our coach before.
gostangs
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby mrydel » Fri Mar 17, 2017 9:06 pm

Then go apply to replace him. But be sure you tell the AD that you do your best coaching after the game since you have no idea what you would do during the action. I will take Jank. 30 wins and a missed layup at the buzzer. [deleted] happens.
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

Postby gostangs » Fri Mar 17, 2017 9:09 pm

not saying i could have done better. I think he could have done better.
gostangs

Postby mrydel » Fri Mar 17, 2017 9:09 pm

Then you are saying you know better than him. I still pick him.
mrydel

Postby gostangs » Fri Mar 17, 2017 9:11 pm

He should have called some times outs and made an adjustment or two. Thats what the USC coach did.
gostangs

Postby mrydel » Fri Mar 17, 2017 9:13 pm

So when the SC coach called time outs, was Jank not allowed to talk to the team? You do realize both teams huddle during time outs?
mrydel

Postby gostangs » Fri Mar 17, 2017 9:22 pm

You do realize 99 pct of college coaches would have called time out in that situation? We had the lead for 38 minutes - and he thinks we don't need to settle? Really is not defendable. Announcers mentioned it - everyone in the stands around me mentioned it. It is not a reach.

We disagree - its ok. Will not change anything. But i think jank screwed this one up. Just cause i like him doesn't mean he is flawless. Im bummed we had the better team once again and will now be completely forgotten in 48 hours. Jank is not the only reason but he certainly played a roll.
gostangs

Postby Rebel10 » Fri Mar 17, 2017 9:31 pm

Jank is not fired so no one can apply to replace him even if they wanted to do so. Wonder if that game makes him less of a target for other schools.
#HammerDown
Rebel10

Postby Rebel10 » Fri Mar 17, 2017 9:35 pm

mtrout wrote:We just played scared as heck as soon as we sniffed foul trouble.

We did not just sniff foul trouble but Ben And Semi were in foul trouble. TheY played how they had to play to keep from fouling out. We also did not adjust well to their zone with the length they had.
#HammerDown
Rebel10

Postby The Falcon » Fri Mar 17, 2017 9:53 pm

I have to go along with Jank's decision to NOT call a timeout. (especially when the
team is close enough to the coach to get his call for the final possession. The main reason
is that the defense doesn't have time to think of the options and the offense is putting
pressure on them. I have seen Shake hit that driving-in-the-lane floater several times this
year. If he had hit this one, we would be in the 2nd round.

On another topic - I don't think we made adequate changes to attack SC's zone defense.

We do not match up with SC very well - they are big, deep, and fast; and they have a
couple of bigs who can shoot from outside - I thought we played well enough to beat them,
but came up short.

Thanks to this team of great guys. Sterling and Ben were outstanding for 4 yrs and have
helped to build the program that we have enjoyed. Jank did an outstanding job this year and I
hope we can hold him into the future. As many have said - if Semi comes back, we should
be Dancing again next year.
The Falcon
All-American

Postby Charleston Pony » Fri Mar 17, 2017 9:58 pm

agree...if Shake hits that last shot, there is a completely different tone on the board tonight. This one ended a lot like that UCLA game 2 years ago but it was little Nic missing not one, but 2 shots to end the game
Charleston Pony

Postby PonySnob » Fri Mar 17, 2017 10:00 pm

mrydel wrote:Wow. I hope a lot of you have you applications in for head coach tomorrow. You know so much more than Jank and my goodness he only won 30 games with 6 players.

Does anybody on the board have an 0-1 record as a head coach in the NCAA tournament?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Peruna is my mascot!
PonySnob

Postby SMUer » Fri Mar 17, 2017 10:09 pm

Jank just told us those other coaches are the silly ones for calling a time out, because they are inviting a situation were you cannot predict what the other team will do and what you will see. Coach speaks.

I just don't know how you don't dictate a way (hand signs or some way) to get your POY-with-the-hot-hand the ball (when he was not being double-teamed) at the end. I heart Shake mucho but driving to the basket in traffic amid trees is not his bread-and-butter.

It reminded me of Morris' Braeden West up-the-middle late game calls...you see the play develop in slow-motion and all you can do is say, "nooooooooooooo!"
SMUer

Postby Stallion » Fri Mar 17, 2017 10:30 pm

Didn't you sit you [deleted] in front of a TV in Dallas to watch 2 soccer games-he doesn't need help from you on Coaching basketball. I'm sure he'll give you a call if he ever needs help coaching soccer
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby SMUer » Fri Mar 17, 2017 10:49 pm

Nice ad hominem a-hole. Attack the man not the point he makes. It was probably our lowest percentage shot in our repertoire. Shame.
SMUer

PreviousNext

Return to Basketball