PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

No Timeouts

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: No Timeouts

Postby sadderbudweiser » Sat Mar 18, 2017 2:59 pm

Rebel10 wrote:I don't see any telling people to apply for HCCM's job when he is criticized . Fans criticize things like this. We will be okay.

HCCM: 5-7
Jank: 30-5

I coached some biddy basketball and stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

But my application is already in at UCONN.
Party at The Wopper!
sadderbudweiser
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby LA_Mustang » Sat Mar 18, 2017 4:10 pm

Villanova and Wisconsin both like to use timeouts in the last minute to set up plays.....
SMU-12 NCAA appearances, 1 Final Four
2014-15 & 2016-17 AAC Men's Basketball Champs

LA_Mustang

Postby mrydel » Sat Mar 18, 2017 4:30 pm

Villanova called time out in almost the exact situation as us. Ran the same play as us with the same success or lack there of.
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

Postby Stallion » Sat Mar 18, 2017 5:07 pm

yeah but...

I do wonder if they have a pre-planned play to run in that situation. USC did gum things up defensively-but that well might be the play SMU wants to run (a few seconds late I think) with an option to drive or dish to an open shooter-I really didn't see the clear option though with so little time left
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby sadderbudweiser » Sat Mar 18, 2017 5:12 pm

LA_Mustang wrote:Villanova and Wisconsin both like to use timeouts in the last minute to set up plays.....

Man that fellow from Wisconsin had a move.

Clean to the rim. We need that.
Party at The Wopper!
sadderbudweiser

Postby mrydel » Sat Mar 18, 2017 5:15 pm

Stallion wrote:yeah but...

I do wonder if they have a pre-planned play to run in that situation. USC did gum things up defensively-but that well might be the play SMU wants to run (a few seconds late I think) with an option to drive or dish to an open shooter-I really didn't see the clear option though with so little time left

In his interview Jank said he called the play from the sideline since the play was at the SMU end. He did not mention a kick out option but did say there were options.
mrydel

Postby gostangs » Sat Mar 18, 2017 5:20 pm

yeah - my preference for the time out was more about the 6-7 previous times down the court where our only points were from desperation 3's. We needed to settle and work a play. If not successful - at least you gave yourself the best opportunity. i get the whole - they have tome to set up thing - but at that point we had nothing to lose.
gostangs

Postby Stallion » Sat Mar 18, 2017 5:24 pm

mrydel wrote:
Stallion wrote:yeah but...

In his interview Jank said he called the play from the sideline since the play was at the SMU end. He did not mention a kick out option but did say there were options.

you could see 2 SMU snipers lined up on the 3 point line to Shake left but they weren't wide open even if Shake had gotten them the ball in time to get shot off-but only down 1 you'd really like to get an even better shot. I could have been a better option with about 3-4 more seconds to work with
Last edited by Stallion on Sat Mar 18, 2017 5:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby EastStang » Sat Mar 18, 2017 5:25 pm

If Shake had started his drive a tick early, Ben was open for a dish and a dunk.
UNC better keep that Ram away from Peruna
EastStang

Postby mrydel » Sat Mar 18, 2017 5:52 pm

gostangs wrote:yeah - my preference for the time out was more about the 6-7 previous times down the court where our only points were from desperation 3's. We needed to settle and work a play. If not successful - at least you gave yourself the best opportunity. i get the whole - they have tome to set up thing - but at that point we had nothing to lose.

I will not argue that. I will defer to the coach but a calm down and game plan earlier is not a bad thing.
mrydel

Previous

Return to Basketball