PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

No Timeouts

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: No Timeouts

Postby SMU Section F » Fri Mar 17, 2017 10:56 pm

Coach decision, player decision, or good coverage by USC? Regardless, I'm very surprised we didn't get the ball to Semi on that last possession. Whose to say it would have ended any differently though? Last possession was a dud, but blame could go just a number of places.

I understand Jank's position on no final timeout, though I think it's more suited to a team w/ a Nic Moore running point than a Shake Milton (or at least in his current form). Say what you want about the UCLA game (where we also left timeouts on the board), but Nic got himself two really good looks.
SMU Section F
Heisman

Postby mrydel » Sat Mar 18, 2017 6:27 am

PonySnob wrote:
mrydel wrote:Wow. I hope a lot of you have you applications in for head coach tomorrow. You know so much more than Jank and my goodness he only won 30 games with 6 players.

Does anybody on the board have an 0-1 record as a head coach in the NCAA tournament?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Has anyone on the board gotten a team into the tournament?
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Rebel10 » Sat Mar 18, 2017 7:45 am

I don't see any telling people to apply for HCCM's job when he is criticized . Fans criticize things like this. We will be okay.
#HammerDown
Rebel10

Postby JasonB » Sat Mar 18, 2017 9:45 am

The most surprising part of the last play wasn't the lack of a timeout.

It was Sterling giving up the opportunity to take the last shot. Really surprised he gave it back to Shake.
JasonB

Postby RGV Pony » Sat Mar 18, 2017 9:49 am

JasonB wrote:The most surprising part of the last play wasn't the lack of a timeout.

It was Sterling giving up the opportunity to take the last shot. Really surprised he gave it back to Shake.

Maybe those are the two guys the USC dude said were arguing over who took the last shot?
RGV Pony

Postby Charleston Pony » Sat Mar 18, 2017 10:17 am

JasonB wrote:The most surprising part of the last play wasn't the lack of a timeout.

I did get the feeling nobody really wanted that last shot. Kind of missed having little Nic at that point. Thought I saw Jarrey shrinking away from the action, although he may have been thinking about getting in position to take a long range three if they left him open. After all, that's been our game all season but there wasn't a lot of time for ball movement
Charleston Pony

Postby Pony_Law » Sat Mar 18, 2017 10:43 am

Sterling was completely gassed the last 7 minutes of the game. He stopped attacking and was making mental errors. Not sure what happend or the cause.
Pony_Law
Hall of Famer

Postby Hoop Fan » Sat Mar 18, 2017 10:43 am

In hindsight I wish we did something different on that last play, anything, including a timeout. But stepping back I actually like no timeout there. The problem was that we needed to get a shot up much earlier to have a chance for an offensive board and put back. And you attack before they can set the zone, but it just didn't happen. What a great team, we are all heartbroken and in denial. Basketball (and football for that matter) the sports most of us like best are essentially organized Chaos at best between the lines. So much you can't account for. And it moves 10 times faster in the action compared to watching from stands. Jank seems like a real smart, intuitive coach. I just hope he helps all these kids, esp seniors, to be at peace with this and know that losing happens, every competitor that there ever was or will be, has to deal with it.
Hoop Fan

Postby Rebel10 » Sat Mar 18, 2017 11:03 am

Pony_Law wrote:Sterling was completely gassed the last 7 minutes of the game. He stopped attacking and was making mental errors. Not sure what happend or the cause.

Maybe playing just about the entire game against a tough talented was the cause of fatigue.
#HammerDown
Rebel10

Postby Rebel10 » Sat Mar 18, 2017 11:05 am

RGV Pony wrote:

Maybe those are the two guys the USC dude said were arguing over who took the last shot?

He definitely said that two SMU players were arguing over who would take the last shot. It is at the 13:01 minute mark in the video.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=atTNb7d6vF8
#HammerDown
Rebel10

Postby sadderbudweiser » Sat Mar 18, 2017 11:09 am

mrydel wrote:Wow. I hope a lot of you have you applications in for head coach tomorrow. You know so much more than Jank and my goodness he only won 30 games with 6 players.

:lol: Dead on bro!
Party at The Wopper!
sadderbudweiser

Postby Rebel10 » Sat Mar 18, 2017 11:11 am

sadderbudweiser wrote:

:lol: Dead on bro!

Didn't hear of anyone asking people to send in applications to be head football coach when Coach Morris was being criticized last year.
#HammerDown
Rebel10

Postby jimhagle » Sat Mar 18, 2017 11:19 am

Milton's shot could have easily gone in-just barely short. But yes, I wanted Brown to take the last shot. Milton had the guts to take it to the basket and possibly draw a foul too. Our shooting overall doomed us aside from Sterling. We simply got tired because they ran us ragged.
jimhagle
Heisman

Postby Rebel10 » Sat Mar 18, 2017 11:21 am

jimhagle wrote:Milton's shot could have easily gone in-just barely short. But yes, I wanted Brown to take the last shot. Milton had the guts to take it to the basket and possibly draw a foul too. Our shooting overall doomed us aside from Sterling. We simply got tired because they ran us ragged.

Agreed. The team did what they could do playing just six.
Last edited by Rebel10 on Sat Mar 18, 2017 1:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
#HammerDown
Rebel10

Postby Stallion » Sat Mar 18, 2017 1:00 pm

so some of you wanted a Timeout-and a set up play presumably for Semi down low-I really don't think that's his strength against a long interior defense-that's when he repeatedly gets stuffed against taller defenses. We really don't have the post up big that can take it strong to the basket in that situation to get the score or the foul down only 1. Semi is better with the floor spread and he spots outside for the open 3 because his defender is not mobile enough or isolates on a single defender which usually takes some time. Not sure there was really enough time for that to develop especially after a Timeout when USC obviously would have schemed to stop Semi.

From my perspective I thought Shake actually did the right thing by driving to the basket with only 3 seconds or so. USC defense did a good job though and even had a rim defender making the shot tougher. I would have preferred a move earlier though at about 6-7 seconds where he could have found an open shooter if he had too. I'll give USC some defensive credit as I never really saw an opportunity for a clean shot by an SMU player including our perimeter players without the ball. We excel at the patient half court game where we move the ball around as long as it takes to find the open sniper-takes time. Didn't find that guy in the 12 or so seconds we had.

If a Timeout had been called I probably would have gotten Ben Moore the ball as early as possible at the top of the key and let him decide who to distribute the ball to. That was the staple of the Larry Brown offense (Ben Moore as Point Forward) but we didn't rely on it as much this year.
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

PreviousNext

Return to Basketball