PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Six players

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Six players

Postby tristatecoog » Fri Mar 17, 2017 6:48 pm

With two starting seniors and six players in a typical game's rotation, how many players will be available next year? Are there transfers sitting out, players hurt and lots of freshmen coming in? The Malagi/Frazier stuff probably goes another year but can't the team have at least a roster of ten vs. the typical 13 with a couple other walk-ons?
CoogFans.com
tristatecoog
Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 2243
Joined: Sun Sep 24, 2000 3:01 am
Location: Dallas, TX

Re: Six players

Postby gostangs » Fri Mar 17, 2017 6:52 pm

just look at all the threads available here. We aren't going to rehash it all.
gostangs
PonyFans.com Super Legend
 
Posts: 11991
Joined: Mon Dec 02, 2002 4:01 am
Location: Dallas, Texas USA

Re: Six players

Postby PonyLawExpress » Fri Mar 17, 2017 6:54 pm

tristatecoog wrote:With two starting seniors and six players in a typical game's rotation, how many players will be available next year? Are there transfers sitting out, players hurt and lots of freshmen coming in? The Malagi/Frazier stuff probably goes another year but can't the team have at least a roster of ten vs. the typical 13 with a couple other walk-ons?


Yeah this has been hashed out on alot of threads. Briefly, We have one transfer sitting out G Jimmy Whitt. Averaged 7PPG at Arkansas a year ago and was a top 70 recruit out of HS. We have G Jahmal McMurray transferring in who will be eligible in December next year who averaged 15PPG at USF as a Frosh and 20PPG this year in 4 games this year before transferring. We have 4 recruits coming in (two guards and two forwards).

As of now, we will have 11 scholarship guys for next year, but who knows if Semi will go pro or not and we are likely to add a Juco or Grad-Transfer big.
PonyLawExpress
Heisman
 
Posts: 1054
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2016 1:11 pm
Location: Dallas, TX

Re: Six players

Postby Rebel10 » Fri Mar 17, 2017 7:02 pm

We definitely need more quality players. Once Semi and Ben got in foul they could not play as aggressively as they wanted and that did not go well for us.
#HammerDown
Rebel10
PonyFans.com Super Legend
 
Posts: 12478
Joined: Thu Sep 10, 2009 10:20 pm

Re: Six players

Postby tristatecoog » Fri Mar 17, 2017 7:05 pm

PonyLawExpress wrote:
tristatecoog wrote:With two starting seniors and six players in a typical game's rotation, how many players will be available next year? Are there transfers sitting out, players hurt and lots of freshmen coming in? The Malagi/Frazier stuff probably goes another year but can't the team have at least a roster of ten vs. the typical 13 with a couple other walk-ons?


Yeah this has been hashed out on alot of threads. Briefly, We have one transfer sitting out G Jimmy Whitt. Averaged 7PPG at Arkansas a year ago and was a top 70 recruit out of HS. We have G Jahmal McMurray transferring in who will be eligible in December next year who averaged 15PPG at USF as a Frosh and 20PPG this year in 4 games this year before transferring. We have 4 recruits coming in (two guards and two forwards).

As of now, we will have 11 scholarship guys for next year, but who knows if Semi will go pro or not and we are likely to add a Juco or Grad-Transfer big.


Thanks. Pretty encouraging. Don't see Semi on this one draft projection so hopefully he decides to stay around.
http://www.nbadraft.net/2017mock_draft
CoogFans.com
tristatecoog
Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 2243
Joined: Sun Sep 24, 2000 3:01 am
Location: Dallas, TX

Re: Six players

Postby tristatecoog » Fri Mar 17, 2017 7:09 pm

CoogFans.com
tristatecoog
Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 2243
Joined: Sun Sep 24, 2000 3:01 am
Location: Dallas, TX

Re: Six players

Postby PonyLawExpress » Fri Mar 17, 2017 7:11 pm

tristatecoog wrote:
PonyLawExpress wrote:
tristatecoog wrote:With two starting seniors and six players in a typical game's rotation, how many players will be available next year? Are there transfers sitting out, players hurt and lots of freshmen coming in? The Malagi/Frazier stuff probably goes another year but can't the team have at least a roster of ten vs. the typical 13 with a couple other walk-ons?


Yeah this has been hashed out on alot of threads. Briefly, We have one transfer sitting out G Jimmy Whitt. Averaged 7PPG at Arkansas a year ago and was a top 70 recruit out of HS. We have G Jahmal McMurray transferring in who will be eligible in December next year who averaged 15PPG at USF as a Frosh and 20PPG this year in 4 games this year before transferring. We have 4 recruits coming in (two guards and two forwards).

As of now, we will have 11 scholarship guys for next year, but who knows if Semi will go pro or not and we are likely to add a Juco or Grad-Transfer big.


Thanks. Pretty encouraging. Don't see Semi on this one draft projection so hopefully he decides to stay around.
http://www.nbadraft.net/2017mock_draft


http://www.draftexpress.com/nba-mock-draft/2017/

He is a fringe First rounder, depending on the board. I'm sure he will declare, but who knows if he will stay in the draft or not. Good news is Shake will almost certainly be back. If Semi is back we should be REAL good next year with all of the guard talent we will have and actually having some depth.
PonyLawExpress
Heisman
 
Posts: 1054
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2016 1:11 pm
Location: Dallas, TX

Re: Six players

Postby JasonB » Fri Mar 17, 2017 10:08 pm

G: Milton, Gu, McDowell, Whitt, McMurray, Douglas, Landrum, Foster
F: Semi, Ray, Chargois, Graduate Transfer
JasonB
PonyFans.com Super Legend
 
Posts: 5756
Joined: Mon Aug 27, 2001 3:01 am
Location: Allen, Tx, USA

Re: Six players

Postby Stallion » Fri Mar 17, 2017 10:11 pm

Rebel10 wrote:We definitely need more quality players. Once Semi and Ben got in foul they could not play as aggressively as they wanted and that did not go well for us.


BINGO which in turn required SMU's perimeter defense to help down low on defense and rebounding which in turn allowed USC to get some open 3s
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion
PonyFans.com Super Legend
 
Posts: 44144
Joined: Tue Dec 19, 2000 4:01 am
Location: Dallas,Texas,USA

Re: Six players

Postby JasonB » Fri Mar 17, 2017 10:15 pm

To be fair, we gave up open threes in the first half from the wings, USC just missed all of them...
JasonB
PonyFans.com Super Legend
 
Posts: 5756
Joined: Mon Aug 27, 2001 3:01 am
Location: Allen, Tx, USA

Re: Six players

Postby Rebel10 » Fri Mar 17, 2017 10:22 pm

JasonB wrote:G: Milton, Gu, McDowell, Whitt, McMurray, Douglas, Landrum, Foster
F: Semi, Ray, Chargois, Graduate Transfer


Let's hope Semi is on that list or all our post players next year will be inexperienced in our system.
#HammerDown
Rebel10
PonyFans.com Super Legend
 
Posts: 12478
Joined: Thu Sep 10, 2009 10:20 pm

Re: Six players

Postby mustangxc » Fri Mar 17, 2017 10:23 pm

JasonB wrote:G: Milton, Gu, McDowell, Whitt, McMurray, Douglas, Landrum, Foster
F: Semi, Ray, Chargois, Graduate Transfer


How do we fit a graduate transfer? Don' we still need to give up a couple of scholarships next season?
User avatar
mustangxc
PonyFans.com Super Legend
 
Posts: 5346
Joined: Tue Nov 14, 2006 3:57 pm
Location: San Juan, PR

Re: Six players

Postby Rebel10 » Fri Mar 17, 2017 10:29 pm

mustangxc wrote:
JasonB wrote:G: Milton, Gu, McDowell, Whitt, McMurray, Douglas, Landrum, Foster
F: Semi, Ray, Chargois, Graduate Transfer


How do we fit a graduate transfer? Don' we still need to give up a couple of scholarships next season?


The two Australian players transferred out. We got McMurray and have a ship to give.
#HammerDown
Rebel10
PonyFans.com Super Legend
 
Posts: 12478
Joined: Thu Sep 10, 2009 10:20 pm

Re: Six players

Postby PonyLawExpress » Sat Mar 18, 2017 12:43 am

mustangxc wrote:
JasonB wrote:G: Milton, Gu, McDowell, Whitt, McMurray, Douglas, Landrum, Foster
F: Semi, Ray, Chargois, Graduate Transfer


How do we fit a graduate transfer? Don' we still need to give up a couple of scholarships next season?


We have 4 scholarships left to forfeit to sanctions. We could spread them out 1 next year and 3 the following year OR 2 and 2. They want to add another big for next year and likely will be a grad-transfer.

So Much talent when looking at the list of guys in the backcourt. Getting Semi back is a game-changer, because he is a Stud, but also to be able to mentor and lead a young frontcourt.
PonyLawExpress
Heisman
 
Posts: 1054
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2016 1:11 pm
Location: Dallas, TX

Re: Six players

Postby mustangxc » Sat Mar 18, 2017 1:58 pm

PonyLawExpress wrote:
mustangxc wrote:
JasonB wrote:G: Milton, Gu, McDowell, Whitt, McMurray, Douglas, Landrum, Foster
F: Semi, Ray, Chargois, Graduate Transfer


How do we fit a graduate transfer? Don' we still need to give up a couple of scholarships next season?


We have 4 scholarships left to forfeit to sanctions. We could spread them out 1 next year and 3 the following year OR 2 and 2. They want to add another big for next year and likely will be a grad-transfer.

So Much talent when looking at the list of guys in the backcourt. Getting Semi back is a game-changer, because he is a Stud, but also to be able to mentor and lead a young frontcourt.


Thanks for the clarification. For some reason I thought we owed 2 scholarships next season. So depending on whether we land a graduate transfer or not our roster management should be as follows:

17/18 (11-12 scholarships)
FR Landrum, Ray, Chargois, Douglas
SO Whitt, McDowell
JR Foster, Milton, McMurray
SR Emelogu, Ojeleye, (possible graduate transfer)

18/19 (10-11 scholarships)
FR anywhere from 1-4 depending on how many we use in 17/18 and attrition
SO Landrum, Ray, Chargois, Douglas (probably lose one to attrition)
JR Whitt, McDowell
SR Foster, McMurray, possibly Milton
User avatar
mustangxc
PonyFans.com Super Legend
 
Posts: 5346
Joined: Tue Nov 14, 2006 3:57 pm
Location: San Juan, PR

Next

Return to Basketball

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: sadderbudweiser and 4 guests