PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Thank you.....especially the Seniors!

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Thank you.....especially the Seniors!

Postby soccermom » Fri Mar 17, 2017 7:11 pm

I want to thank our coaches, and team, and ESPECIALLY the seniors, for a fun, exciting, and wonderful season. I also want to thank them for being such wonderful representatives for SMU. I wish them all the best in the future. You have made us proud.
soccermom
PonyFans.com Legend

Re: Thank you.....especially the Seniors!

Postby Rebel10 » Fri Mar 17, 2017 7:12 pm

This ^.
#HammerDown
Rebel10
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby mrydel » Fri Mar 17, 2017 7:17 pm

Thank you soccermom
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

Postby One Trick Pony » Fri Mar 17, 2017 7:24 pm

Thank you for being a mustang club donor and a season ticket holder.
One Trick Pony

Postby peruna81 » Fri Mar 17, 2017 9:00 pm

Indeed...Thank you Mustang Basketball for a great season, and much needed "HOPE"
stable-boy for the four horsemen of the apocalypse
peruna81
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Wild Mustang » Fri Mar 17, 2017 9:03 pm

First let me say that we are lucky to have Coach Jank. Jank is truly one of the best coaches in all of College Basketball. What he has done with the cards that he was dealt is beyond impressive. Two players transferring mid-season. Scholarship sanctions. Jank has elevated the program that Coach Brown started. Jank has helped build a culture of winning basketball at SMU. Jank has continued to coach up our guys, truly make our guys believe in each other, build their confidence, and coach a system of basketball that worked this year. 30 wins, not too bad. And don't forget he was 10-0 last season. 40 wins in two seasons.

Let me say Thank You to Sterling Brown and Ben Moore who helped build the Basketball "Program" that is now SMU Basketball. SMU will be forever grateful. Countless times over the past 4 years you have shown us all just how great SMU can be and now is.

Thanks to Coach Brown, Coach Jank, Nic Moore, Sterling Brown, and Ben Moore and many others... SMU is now a Nationally recognized Basketball Power. Finished this season at #11 in the AP Poll. Pretty sure four or five years ago we were not even ranked. Proud to be a Mustang!

Today we flat out did not play a good second half of basketball and you cannot do that in the NCAA Tournament. It is disappointing no doubt. We all had high expectations, but as a team there were far too many mistakes. In the last minute alone we had more than enough opportunities to win the game. Sterling stepped out of bounds. Sterling missing a drive to the basket. Ben missed free throws. Shake missing a prayer on a drive to the basket. Earlier in the game Jarray missing a power dunk. SMU had more than enough chances to win the game.

SMU led for the majority of the game. Coach Jank coached a great game. The fact that USC made some plays down the stretch has nothing to do with Jank's coaching ability. Players make plays. Our guys did not make plays. Yes Jank could have called a timeout or two but that really comes down to coaching philosophy in the moment. No one seemed to have a problem with Jank's coaching ability when he led our team to 30 wins. No one seemed to question when or if he should call timeouts during any of our earlier games this season.

Yes it hurts that we lost. Our guys deserved to win and advance. We should have and could have won the game. Unfortunately we did not make the plays when we needed to make the plays. And no I am not talking about the one play at the end of the game... I am talking about the fact that no one on our team really stepped up during the last few minutes of the game. Our guys made more than a handful of mistakes down the stretch.

We lost by one point! This is not on Coach Jank. We had more than enough opportunities to score one more basket. Unfortunately we did not win. Much love on the incredible season. We will always remember this team. Very proud of this team. Go Mustangs!
Wild Mustang
Junior Varsity

Postby mrydel » Fri Mar 17, 2017 9:08 pm

I like that post
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

Postby gostangs » Fri Mar 17, 2017 9:08 pm

Great season - but yes - you can critique the coach in this one. Sorry - but that is what i saw and i think we should expect better. Had he tried a few adjustments and we still loss - so be it. Sometimes you get beat by a better team. But he did not give his team the best chance to win in my opinion.
gostangs

Postby Big Hoss » Fri Mar 17, 2017 9:08 pm

I'm most disappointed that I don't get to see these guys play together again. They had such great chemistry and flow to their game. Brown and Moore are going to be missed. I really wanted a win for those two guys most of all.
Big Hoss
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby gostangs » Fri Mar 17, 2017 9:10 pm

Agree Hoss. fantastic team this year. Love those seniors. Really hope someone takes on Sterlings grit next year.
gostangs

Postby Charleston Pony » Fri Mar 17, 2017 9:56 pm

gostangs wrote:Agree Hoss. fantastic team this year. Love those seniors. Really hope someone takes on Sterlings grit next year.

Jarrey could be that guy. He faded into the background down the stretch but next year will be among our team leaders. Hope he can improve his FT shooting
Charleston Pony

Postby The Falcon » Fri Mar 17, 2017 9:56 pm

Wild Mustang wrote:First let me say that we are lucky to have Coach Jank. Jank is truly one of the best coaches in all of College Basketball. What he has done with the cards that he was dealt is beyond impressive. Two players transferring mid-season. Scholarship sanctions. Jank has elevated the program that Coach Brown started. Jank has helped build a culture of winning basketball at SMU. Jank has continued to coach up our guys, truly make our guys believe in each other, build their confidence, and coach a system of basketball that worked this year. 30 wins, not too bad. And don't forget he was 10-0 last season. 40 wins in two seasons.

Let me say Thank You to Sterling Brown and Ben Moore who helped build the Basketball "Program" that is now SMU Basketball. SMU will be forever grateful. Countless times over the past 4 years you have shown us all just how great SMU can be and now is.

Thanks to Coach Brown, Coach Jank, Nic Moore, Sterling Brown, and Ben Moore and many others... SMU is now a Nationally recognized Basketball Power. Finished this season at #11 in the AP Poll. Pretty sure four or five years ago we were not even ranked. Proud to be a Mustang!

Today we flat out did not play a good second half of basketball and you cannot do that in the NCAA Tournament. It is disappointing no doubt. We all had high expectations, but as a team there were far too many mistakes. In the last minute alone we had more than enough opportunities to win the game. Sterling stepped out of bounds. Sterling missing a drive to the basket. Ben missed free throws. Shake missing a prayer on a drive to the basket. Earlier in the game Jarray missing a power dunk. SMU had more than enough chances to win the game.

SMU led for the majority of the game. Coach Jank coached a great game. The fact that USC made some plays down the stretch has nothing to do with Jank's coaching ability. Players make plays. Our guys did not make plays. Yes Jank could have called a timeout or two but that really comes down to coaching philosophy in the moment. No one seemed to have a problem with Jank's coaching ability when he led our team to 30 wins. No one seemed to question when or if he should call timeouts during any of our earlier games this season.

Yes it hurts that we lost. Our guys deserved to win and advance. We should have and could have won the game. Unfortunately we did not make the plays when we needed to make the plays. And no I am not talking about the one play at the end of the game... I am talking about the fact that no one on our team really stepped up during the last few minutes of the game. Our guys made more than a handful of mistakes down the stretch.

We lost by one point! This is not on Coach Jank. We had more than enough opportunities to score one more basket. Unfortunately we did not win. Much love on the incredible season. We will always remember this team. Very proud of this team. Go Mustangs!

This + couldn't agree with you more.
The Falcon
All-American

Postby Stallion » Fri Mar 17, 2017 10:00 pm

Good Post Wild Mustang

SMU plays 6 guys-and didn't have the numbers to control USCs bigs down low without help which allowed USC to get some open 3s. How do you want to lose because I guarantee if SMU didn't help down low Ben and Semi foul out and they drub us inside. The 3rd and 4th fouls on Ben were killers. We had 6-6 guys trying to rebound with 6-10 athletes-that's asking a little too much if you also wanting them to stop the 3
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby Stallion » Fri Mar 17, 2017 11:19 pm

Let's not forget Senior Nic Moore-blew it-twice
How could we forget Senior Yanick Moreia-goaltending
Now Ben Moore and Sterling Brown thrown under the bus.

Its pitiful that some expect perfection and then throw a [deleted]' hissy fit when you feel personally screwed when they are busting their [deleted] for your university

These guys may well have given you your greatest Basketball memories of your life-seriously greatest warriors in last 50 years of SMU Basketball
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby Junior » Fri Mar 17, 2017 11:27 pm

I've had a lot more to drink than I should have, as have many today. I'm over this. These guys gave everything they had to this program. If you don't agree, you're a fool. Every team in the NCAA would kill to have guys like this for four years. Ben and Sterling are top 10 players in this program's history.
Derail the Frogs!
Junior

Next

Return to Basketball