PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

3 Final Things

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: 3 Final Things

Postby SMU Section F » Sat Mar 18, 2017 7:35 pm

sadderbudweiser wrote:
jimhagle wrote:
sadderbudweiser wrote:As am I.....please let's not use seeding as an excuse! You've got to beat whoever you draw. It was a dream draw. We just weren't up to it.

A dream draw just because it was in Tulsa-really? A team we had already lost to -a dream draw? Come on..

No not just Tulsa.

A chance to ding Baylor then probably Duke in front of the entire nation at MSG.

THAT's a dream opportunity for instant respect.

Also, the Friday game. Jank said that was his number one "ask" on Selection Sunday.

And we would have more than likely been favored against Baylor. We had a fantastic draw; better than most - if not all - of the 5 seeds. Now a 4 seed? That would've been nice, but not gonna happen for an AAC team until our conference starts performing more consistently OOC and in the tournament.
SMU Section F
Heisman

Postby Rebel10 » Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:24 pm

I don't think we would have been favored against Baylor unless you are a delusional homer. They are a 3 seed. Especially without Jarrey. We had a fantastic draw as far as where we played not who we played.
#HammerDown
Rebel10
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby SMU Section F » Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:37 pm

Rebel10 wrote:I don't think we would have been favored against Baylor unless you are a delusional homer. They are a 3 seed. Especially without Jarrey. We had a fantastic draw as far as where we played not who we played.

Without Jarrey, definitely not.

With Jarrey, the line would have been less than 2 or SMU outright favored based on almost all pre-tournament metrics. Their seed is irrelevant; multiple cases of worse seeds favored over better seeds in this tournament alone.
SMU Section F
Heisman

Postby Rebel10 » Sat Mar 18, 2017 9:20 pm

And I believe Baylor was ranked higher at the end of the season and has a deeper bench. Not saying SMU would not have beaten them but as far as being favored goes I don't see it.
#HammerDown
Rebel10

Postby mrydel » Sat Mar 18, 2017 9:24 pm

Baylor was ranked below us but I do believe they would have been favored.
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

Postby Nedward » Sat Mar 18, 2017 11:14 pm

Ultimately we [Deleted] the bed on this game. It happens. If we can't beat USC then we sure as hell aren't beating Baylor or Duke. This loss was worse to me than the UCLA loss...we had a great path to national exposure. But the guys will hopefully grow from the experience. They looked lost for the first time this year...and that's on coaching. And to the inevitable smart [deleted](es) saying I should be a college bball coach does not negate the legitimate criticism. Try a new argument next time old man.
Nedward
Junior Varsity

Postby Stallion » Sun Mar 19, 2017 3:16 am

We win if the players do what they are coached to do-the players simply didn't get it done. Jank coached a win. Multiple missed free throws, Unforced errors by SMU with the game on the line. USC on the other hand hit key free throws and 3 point shots. They won 26 out of 27 games-things don't always go your way
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby Puckhead48E » Sun Mar 19, 2017 3:44 am

Seriously, we should have won that game. It was there for the taking and, due to a cast of errors, we have it away. Indecisive coaching, playing, and playcalling all led to a let down in a game situation that we would have stepped up the tempo on offense and defense and won by double digits in the regular season.

Tulsa was a good spot for us. If we wanted better seeing...then win the damn game and force them to give us respect. Instead, Jank and company relied on the old adage of "that's how we always do it" when the team was looking lost and needed direction and we know what happened.

Time to get back to the board and digest and learn from the mistakes and come back stronger.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Puckhead48E
Heisman

Postby Rebel10 » Sun Mar 19, 2017 8:31 am

We were 8 out of 11 on the free throw line. That is pretty good. We shot free throws better than USC. Problem was our foul trouble. This was a pretty evenly matched game. But one team had bench production and one team did not. USC had 7 points from their bench and SMU had none. Also, a 10 or 12 point lead to USC is nothing because they had the most double digit comebacks of any team in the nation. Providence had them by 17 and lost. Bottom line is that is is tough to make a tournament run playing just six players and not really having a low post game. You need a low post game as well as an outside game to make a run imo.
#HammerDown
Rebel10

Postby longbuzzer » Sun Mar 19, 2017 10:24 am

My dad was a college basketball coach and athletic director at Centenary back in the day, and attended 30+ years of NCAA finals as a big fan of the sport.

One opinion he had for success in the tournament is worth noting.

He thought it was a big advantage to play in a tough conference where a lot of games came down to the wire, at home and on the road. That forces you to play out the final 5 minutes under all possible circumstances: foul trouble to key players, injuries, opposing teams with differing strengths,etc. You use your bench and try to manufacture wins under multiple scenarios.

This year we had a one man bench and very few pressure situations since the league was down (Memphis, Houston, UConn on off years). We had to play perfect games to win, which we did a lot.

Like to see Wichita State (and others mentioned on this site) in the AAC as soon as possible.
longbuzzer
Junior Varsity

Postby Hoop Fan » Sun Mar 19, 2017 10:36 am

I hear you on the league stuff and not enough tough close games might have been A factor, but would people conclude that about Nova this morning? My take is that we got matched with a team with just as much talent and more depth who basically had nothing to lose and could play more relaxed. We had everything to lose...for lots of reasons and it showed. Pressure is an unbelievable force of nature. It effects everyone, some get lucky enough to overcome it. Sometimes. I have nothing but admiration and respect for all these players. They are warriors but even the fiercest warriors bleed. We lost a game and it hurts but at least there was no phantom goal tending.
Hoop Fan

Postby longbuzzer » Sun Mar 19, 2017 11:45 am

While we are dissecting this loss I just wanted to chip in on the possible factors.

In my mind, Jank had limited levers to pull, outside of letting a great team play. Worked 30 times this year.

In this tournament, all of the coaches are dumb-ass*s except for the one winner.
longbuzzer
Junior Varsity

Postby sadderbudweiser » Sun Mar 19, 2017 11:49 am

longbuzzer wrote:My dad was a college basketball coach and athletic director at Centenary back in the day, and attended 30+ years of NCAA finals as a big fan of the sport.

He thought it was a big advantage to play in a tough conference where a lot of games came down to the wire, at home and on the road. That forces you to play out the final 5 minutes under all possible circumstances: foul trouble to key players, injuries, opposing teams with differing strengths,etc. You use your bench and try to manufacture wins under multiple scenarios.

This year we had a one man bench and very few pressure situations since the league was down (Memphis, Houston, UConn on off years). We had to play perfect games to win, which we did a lot.

Like to see Wichita State (and others mentioned on this site) in the AAC as soon as possible.

Find us the next Robert Parrish and we'll be good to go! :wink:
Party at The Wopper!
sadderbudweiser

Postby Rebel10 » Sun Mar 19, 2017 2:53 pm

longbuzzer wrote:My dad was a college basketball coach and athletic director at Centenary back in the day, and attended 30+ years of NCAA finals as a big fan of the sport.

He may have done it 30 times but how many times did the game come down to the wire in those 30? Also we could try to upgrade to OOC to make up for a down conference.
#HammerDown
Rebel10

Postby Prideful Pony » Sun Mar 19, 2017 6:34 pm

We basically heard as much from Jank after the Tulane game in the AAC tourny. We needed more pressure games to work through how we handle crunch time. No matter how much you game plan, the experience helps. For example, probably minimizes arguments over who takes the shot and tightens up execution on the set we ran last possession.
Prideful Pony
Junior Varsity

PreviousNext

Return to Basketball